• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Milsap looked like he didn't belong. Only Al has impressed me at the ASG

NBASupes

Love dropped 45/19/6 on the Clippers and 42/14 on the Spurs. 29/15/9 against Portland

If Al has a game like that it will be against Cleveland or someone. You could bring Magic Johnson in here and it would still be the same deal.

Heck . . he went for 43 points -- 19 rebounds vs us ( and also went 17 - 18 FTs ).

I was at that game vs Minnesota when we played them. And what impressed me the most about Love, is how he almost knew exactly where the ball was going to come off. And when it comes to shooting, he needs very little space to get his shot off, whether it be around the rim, or out to the 3 point line.

Offensively, he has the total package for a big man.

I feel like everyone who has the same complaint about the All Star game in that "there's no defense, waaa! There's just a bunch of lobs, waaah!" have never bothered to watch a 4th quarter of the game. Probably tune into the 1st quarter and see a guy go through his legs 15 times in a row and say to themselves "Oh, it's just going to be 45 more minutes of this, guess I'll watch the Mentalist instead."

It's an exhibition for the fans so yes they are going to put on a display of their athletic ability and skill but once the 4th quarter rolls around and they've cleared all of the scrubs off the court with their token minutes, the real stars start to shine and compete against and with each other. Last night was another example of this with the East coming back from 18 down with a display of great defense by Noah, Lebron, Wall and George locking it down with Carmelo and Kyrie carrying them on offense. There have been about 4 blowouts at the game in the past 15 years and the last 5 games including last night all came down to the wire so I honestly wonder about why this stereotype about "the guys just want to get it over with and hit the club after" gets perpetuated......I mean it's an odd thing to say especially since they all have to fly back to their teams right away because they have full practice Monday morning.

But I digress back to the topic. Talent wise, no Millsap didn't deserve to be there but neither did half the East bench but skill wise he fit better than Al ever did. Why? Because he has this thing called a handle. He was even able to get a bucket off of a crossover and fadeaway rather than having to be the most serious guy attacking offensive boards for putbacks or waiting for another player to take a minute from their dribble display to give him the ball. Exhibition games are like pick-up games, they always favor those who can get their own.

I agree with your assessment of the All-Star game. The first 3 quarters are meant to put on the type of show that everyone wants to see. I think they purposely keep the games kind of close, then tell the guys to play forreal once the 4th quarter starts.

While I don't set my schedule to make sure I'm watching the game, I'm not real bothered by the lack of competitiveness from the opening tip either. I see the All-Star game the same way I see a Harlem Globetrotters game. There is entertainment value in it.

But like you said, those guys get serious in the 4th quarter. And it usually turns into a very good finish.

I stopped paying attention after the 20th Blake alley and I saw Steph wasn't hitting everything. I don't know who would expect Sap and Joe to do anything. Blake's progression has been pretty substantial. He leads the break and passes better than I ever thought he would. And in most NBA circles, if you compared Love to Al you'd be kicked out of said circle.I felt embarrassed for a lot of the people involved in the dunk contest: John Wall for dancing like my nieces, Mackelmore for getting hung, Drake's uselessness, Paul George not being prepared with his best dunk, and Shaq for being Shaq.

Edited by benhillboy

Since the beginning of time as far back as I can remember this has been what the ASG has been so why complain. It's all ally oops and dunks, tricky fancy dribbling and lots of showing off until the 4th quarter if the game is close.It is what it is - expecting something different will be your fault.

He was getting to the line more, but that's about it. Jeff Teague has never been good on the defensive end... Better than Shelvin Mack, but not good. Jeff still couldn't shoot when Al was healthy.

Very few people would take Horford over Love. Horford attempts less than 3 free throws per game in 33 MPG. That does not frighten me if I'm a coach, and his post game is so predictable and robotic. What is scary about that? Love can shoot from pretty much anywhere in addition to getting 8 plus free throw attempts a game... He's doing something right inside if he is getting to the free throw line at that pace. A PF that attempts 2 or 3 free throws per game is NOT a huge threat inside.

Despite not being an "unguardable" player he often manages to produce the same results that those guys do against the best teams in the league: Just about the only time Horford performances at Love's level is when he is playing against Cleveland or someone like that.

He doesn't have to even be as good as any of the people you mentioned in order to be better than Horf. You think way too highly of Horf.

But he's not a better player. The production proves it. You're giving hypotheticals.

To maximize Al's potential (which he has mostly done already) you need a top flight PG and a big center that can rebound and block shots. Love can pretty much do what he does now regardless of what he has around him. I don't see that as something that makes Al look better.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Were we watching the same games? Al was far from impressive during his All-Star games.

Al was very impressive in his last ASG. He was just as impressive that game as John Wall was this game. He was doing what Noah was doing for the East last night but with better athletic ability.

You can call it hypotheticals but like ppl who say Paul George is better than Melo is out of their damn minds because their situation isn't close to the same. Same for Al and Love. I don't even think Minny is the best fit for Love but on offense, it's a damn good one. For Al, this isn't a good fit at all but he makes due.

• Admin

You can call it hypotheticals but like ppl who say Paul George is better than Melo is out of their damn minds because their situation isn't close to the same. Same for Al and Love. I don't even think Minny is the best fit for Love but on offense, it's a damn good one. For Al, this isn't a good fit at all but he makes due.

Melo is a better scorer and maybe rebounder but George is the better all around player and he is a team player while Melo is a ISO player.I would take George for my team every day of the week before MeloI don't disagree with you about Al vs love. Love is the better scorer and rebounder...both are excellent passers but Al is by far the better defender and he is an excellent rebounder himself. It would be interesting to see what Al can do with a true center next to him.
  • Like 1

Melo is a better scorer and maybe rebounder but George is the better all around player and he is a team player while Melo is a ISO player.I would take George for my team every day of the week before MeloI don't disagree with you about Al vs love. Love is the better scorer and rebounder...both are excellent passers but Al is by far the better defender and he is an excellent rebounder himself. It would be interesting to see what Al can do with a true center next to him.

If you believe Melo is just an iso scorer... Jamal Crawford is an iso scorer. Melo can score on the iso but he can score within a system, without one. Melo can flat out score. Melo offense is elite. His defense is average to below average depending on the opponent. If he was even a decent team defender, he would get more defensive respect than he does.

Al with an elite PnR PG would be a sight to see.

• Like 1

• Admin

If you believe Melo is just an iso scorer... Jamal Crawford is an iso scorer. Melo can score on the iso but he can score within a system, without one. Melo can flat out score. Melo offense is elite. His defense is average to below average depending on the opponent. If he was even a decent team defender, he would get more defensive respect than he does. Al with an elite PnR PG would be a sight to see.

I think Melo is one of the most overrated players in the league.
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Melo is a very good player but he isn't even close to Lebron's level so he is overrated when he is in the same discussion with Durant and Lebron.

To be a champion, Melo needs to not be the best player on his team or needs to be very close in ability to the #3 guy on his team.

If he was even a decent team defender, he would get more defensive respect than he does.

That is usually the way it works! If you aren't even decent at something, you rarely get respect for that part of your game. Melo has the physical ability to be a plus defender but doesn't commit to it. For that reason, I absolutely prefer George even though Carmelo is better offensively. There is a HUGE difference between the two defensively and a modest one offensively (i.e., George >>> Melo on D; Melo > George on O).

Now I do think Melo could be a very good "role" player on a team or to put it another way he could fit into a team structure where he isn't launching Allen Iverson iso moves and be a good player. We have seen it in international play. It has been his preference to go to iso-mode in the NBA and that is a liability that limits his team's success. If he gets past that, he could actually be part of a contender for once. That will never happen under Woodson.

@AHFThe ironic part about his whole Melo rant is it completely is the opposite of why he says Al is a better NBA playerthen Kevin Love.. You replace the names in your post with Al and Love and you have his argument.. Lmao how about a complete 180

Al was very impressive in his last ASG. He was just as impressive that game as John Wall was this game. He was doing what Noah was doing for the East last night but with better athletic ability.

2 points, 33% shooting, 2 fouls, 3 rebounds and a block were surely better and demonstrated more athletic ability as guys who put up 8 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 80% FG%, a steal and then 12 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals 71% shooting? Yea, I'm with Game on wondering what games you were watching. Al's All Star high was in his first appearance with 8, 4, 2, 1 and 1 on 80% shooting but still isn't equaling what either of Wall or Noah did nor separating far from Sap's 6, 3, 1 on 60%.

Maybe you didn't realize you were watching the 93' All Star game instead* Posted Image

*Karl Malone joke.