• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bill Simmons: Worst Contracts Thread

HawkItus

You mean . . . thank you Josh for not signing the 3 yr - 45 million extension that Ferry offered him at the beginning of last season.

People forget that though.

It was about as likely as Joe signing his extension. People forget that players who envision themselves as max free agents don't sign extensions that pay them significantly less money and years but oh, keep thinking that that was a possibility.

• Like 1

Someone on this board has wanted everyone of those players at some time or another in my 10 years or however long it's been since I've been on this board.

Cant wait to read this in its entirety later today. Happy to say the only one I pondered was Hickson. I remember many on this board hoping for Steve Nash, and I could never understand it. Nice to see Joe play himself down from 2 last year to 9. Amare still holding that top spot. Edited by benhillboy

What always interests me is how these contracts come to be. Some were inevitable like Joe's contract. Others were just dumb management. But, seeing this always lets me know if you are smart and patient you can always find a deal in the NBA. Some of these teams will have young talent that they absolutely have to let go because of dumb contracts.

• Like 2

It was about as likely as Joe signing his extension. People forget that players who envision themselves as max free agents don't sign extensions that pay them significantly less money and years but oh, keep thinking that that was a possibility.

Oh I agree with you Mace. I said at the time that it would be dumb for Josh to sign that deal, when it was rumored that he could get a 60 million+ deal at the end of the year.

The fact is though . . . Josh was "Ferry's Guy" during his first summer here. And Ferry offered that extension, when he didn't have to do anything. Had Josh not believed that he could get more money on the open market, we'd be talking about Josh right now, instead of Paul Millsap.

Never understood the fascination in hickson. Everyone wanted him and some were willing to give up a pick for him to play center. When it was obviously he wasnt a center. Portland had the worst paint defense in the nba last year with him at center and were in search of a real center just like us.

• Premium Member

Lets say Josh had signed here, and he didnt work out he still could have been traded. If Joes albatross of a contract could have been traded why not? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets say Josh had signed here, and he didnt work out he still could have been traded. If Joes albatross of a contract could have been traded why not?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true . . . if he wasn't playing bad.

When JJ was traded, his scoring numbers were down, but his FG% and 3FG% were all up, especially in the 2nd half of the 2011 - 12 season. This led Brooklyn to believe that he could still be an All-Star caliber SG for at least 2 years, as well as a guy who can be at least a 2nd fiddle in the offense.

The big thing though, is that acquiring JJ would help them re-sign Deron Williams.

If Josh was playing like he is in Detroit, it may be a problem trading the guy.

Also, we traded JJ for 5 dead flies, so maybe that's the type of deal we get in return in a Josh trade. And that wouldn't be good.

• Moderators

Also, we traded JJ for 5 dead flies, so maybe that's the type of deal we get in return in a Josh trade. And that wouldn't be good.

That is reportedly what we were offered at the deadline last year and is probably what you would expect. I just think he would not look as bad here as he does playing SF in Detroit with no one other than Jennings who can hit from the perimeter.

Never understood the fascination in hickson. Everyone wanted him and some were willing to give up a pick for him to play center. When it was obviously he wasnt a center. Portland had the worst paint defense in the nba last year with him at center and were in search of a real center just like us.

I think he had a couple impressive seasons stat-wise, and I'd prefer him at the 4 or off the bench, but I'm not mad we didn't look at him now. Being next to Aldridge helped him, but Portland realized they needed Lopez to help Aldridge. I'm very sorry to admit I pondered Larry Sanders as well.