• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Doug McDermott slip to us?

ATLHawks3

What do you guys think about Doug McDermott? He's a natural scorer, and is probably going to be an elite 3 point shooter when he gets to the NBA. The star forward for Creighton is averaging and outstanding 26.8 ppg 7.1 rpg and 1.6 apg (.526 FG % and .460 3P FG %). Not saying that he could be the next Larry Bird (due to poor ball handling and passing ability) but you can certainly see comparisons in their scoring ability. Would he be a worthwile pick for the Hawks? He can potentially play the SF or PF positions in the NBA. He's a ferry guy and you can already plug him in at the starting SF position and watch him easily drop 16 per game.

We need a another ball handler and a player that can create his own shot when things bog down. Not another Kyle Korver-ish kind of player. I would like a SG.

We need a another ball handler and a player that can create his own shot when things bog down. Not another Kyle Korver-ish kind of player. I would like a SG.

He isn't the best at creating his own shot, but his length allows him to be able to put a shot up against opposing players, similar to Kevin Garnett.

Edited by ATLHawks3

That's funny, cause I've been thinking the past few months how I could see Ferry drafting him to be KK's replacement either when his contract is up or sooner if McDermott plays well and KK becomes trade material.

That's funny, cause I've been thinking the past few months how I could see Ferry drafting him to be KK's replacement either when his contract is up or sooner if McDermott plays well and KK becomes trade material.

There is no need for a Kyle replacement at this time. We need more atheliticism/ball handler type at the SG/SF spots.We need to ADD something we don't currently have, not replace or duplicate what we already have. Besides, let's hope Jenks is able to come back from his back injury and give us close to what Kyle does. Edited by JayBirdHawk

we need a two way player at the SG/SF position who can handle the ball, create his own shot and can guard his man. Mcdermott doesnt fit our needs at all.

We dont need any tweeners.

We have too many net negative defenders on this team.

Ferry should go after a guy who has two way potiential like he did in the last draft with the Bebe and Dennis pick.

Edited by yungsta

Mcdermott can create his own shot. . Obviously, I can tell most of you don't actually watch his games. I've watched plenty myself and he's the second coming to Larry Bird/Chris Mullens. Someone who can't create his own shot doesn't shoot a high field goal percentage, because you're most likely to force contested shots. Please stop judging players off highlights and 3rd party media ideas. They're good at dogging players to drop their stock for big market teams. Watch how the media jumps on his wagon durjng tournament time. Hell! I can't remember watching any of Creightons games on Espn. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by willthepureshooter
  • Like 2

Mcdermott can create his own shot. . Obviously, I can tell most of you don't actually watch his games. I've watched plenty myself and he's the second coming to Larry Bird/Chris Mullens. Someone who can't create his own shot doesn't shoot a high field goal percentage, because you're most likely to force contested shots. Please stop judging players off highlights and 3rd party media ideas. They're good at dogging players to drop their stock for big market teams. Watch how the media jumps on his wagon durjng tournament time. Hell! I can't remember watching any of Creightons games on Espn. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I like what I hear on offense, but how will he play defensively? On this team, we can't afford to have weak man defenders as we don't have the versatility or rim-protection (think about what Josh brought on defense) to offset bad defenders (not a question of effort but overall ability). If he can't stay on front of SFs in the NBA, I don't think we should be the team who drafts him.

I like what I hear on offense, but how will he play defensively? On this team, we can't afford to have weak man defenders as we don't have the versatility or rim-protection (think about what Josh brought on defense) to offset bad defenders (not a question of effort but overall ability). If he can't stay on front of SFs in the NBA, I don't think we should be the team who drafts him.

He's not a bad defensive player either. I'm not understanding where half of this concern with his defense is coming from. Watch a game and create your own preception of McDermott instead of going off of what other say.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

He's not a bad defensive player either. I'm not understanding where half of this concern with his defense is coming from. Watch a game and create your own preception of McDermott instead of going off of what other say.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Will do

Edited by nathan2331

He's not a good defender nor is he going to be able to consistently create his own shot in the NBA. Getting shots over shorter guys at Creighton doesn't equate to getting by bigger stronger more athletic guys in the NBA. He is nowhere near the second coming of Larry Bird....I hope that wasn't serious

• Like 2

He's not a good defender nor is he going to be able to consistently create his own shot in the NBA. Getting shots over shorter guys at Creighton doesn't equate to getting by bigger stronger more athletic guys in the NBA. He is nowhere near the second coming of Larry Bird....I hope that wasn't serious

Oh really? Lol smh you will see soon enough. By the way, he mostly plays power forward so that mskes your comment invalid. And shouldn't the size comment fit other prospects? Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Oh really? Lol smh you will see soon enough. By the way, he mostly plays power forward so that mskes your comment invalid. And shouldn't the size comment fit other prospects? Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

You just helped my point by pointing out he plays the 4 most of the time in college...he will have to be a 3 in the NBA and will not be able to get by those guys on the perimeter. His ball handling is subpar at best, and he gets away with things in the post when he has smaller guys on him that he won't be able to do at the next level. He gets a lot of open looks bc he's good off the ball but he won't be creating shots consistently in the nba and he will get torched defensively.

You just helped my point by pointing out he plays the 4 most of the time in college...he will have to be a 3 in the NBA and will not be able to get by those guys on the perimeter. His ball handling is subpar at best, and he gets away with things in the post when he has smaller guys on him that he won't be able to do at the next level. He gets a lot of open looks bc he's good off the ball but he won't be creating shots consistently in the nba and he will get torched defensively.

Agreed, He looks slow off the dribble and with his ball handling.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we can put the Doug Mcdermott talk to rest....esp after he got shut down by Baylor

You know, like Jabari by Mercer? What about Wiggins?

McDermott won't be a star because he doesn't have the length to make up for his lack of explosiveness, but he'll be a damn good player. No doubt.

He can score with or without the ball in a tremendous amount of ways and he doesn't turn the ball over.

Edited by TheFuzz