• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This thing is over at this point: Hawks will make playoffs

gsuteke

The Hawks have a 5 game lead in the Loss column over the Knicks for the last playoff seed. They will make the playoffs. Now that the lottery is out of the question lets see what the Hawks can do against a Miami or Indiana.

Edited by gsuteke
  • Like 1

The Hawks have a 5 game lead in the Loss column over the Knicks for the last playoff seed. They will make the playoffs.Now that the lottery is out of the question lets see what the Hawks can do against a Miami or Indiana.

I've been saying it for awile, they're not tanking...Our GM, coaches,and players want to win. It's the whole point. Wish for us to lose and post on here is a waste of time. Keep winning!!!!

Another useless playoff exit. SMH. The deepest draft in a decade and we're going to miss out on it.

What a poor attitude....

• Like 1

The Hawks have a 5 game lead in the Loss column over the Knicks for the last playoff seed. They will make the playoffs.Now that the lottery is out of the question lets see what the Hawks can do against a Miami or Indiana.

The lottery has been out of the question since January.

• Premium Member

Yes, how dare a real fan of the team want to see them win a title in the long term instead of a decade of completely pointless one and done playoff exists.

LOL we don't even know whether we'll be dead or alive long term. I just prefer to live the present.

Excellent win, GO GO GO HAWKS!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Should have started the tank as soon as Horford got injured. Oh well. Best we can hope for is the 15th pick and to upset Indy which I'm for. 11-20 isn't a bad place to be this year. We won't get Jabari or Wiggins, but there are plenty of guys that will be available and can contribute where we will be selecting.

• Premium Member

Yes, how dare a real fan of the team want to see them win a title in the long term instead of a decade of completely pointless one and done playoff exists.

You're right, because drafting great players means you're guaranteed a title. Just ask New Orleans when they drafted Chris Paul, or Cleveland when they drafted Lebron James, or Orlando when they drafted Dwight Howard, or Portland when they drafted Greg Oden, or Chicago when they drafted Derrick Rose, ...oh...wait a second...

In fact, looking back 10 years all the way to 2004, the only teams that drafted top 5 and have won championships since are Miami (Drafted MIchael Beasley at #2 in 2008), Boston (Drafted Jeff Green at 5 in the 2007 draft) and Dallas (Drafted Devin Harris at 5 in the 2004 draft).

There is something in common with all of these teams, they were all formed via trades and free agency, with none of the players actually on the team when they won the championship. Of course, one could argue that the draftees were used in trades to help get the pieces needed to form the championship team (not the case with Miami, who salary dumped beasley for 2 second round picks), but I think that shows that having a top 5 pick, even in a super deep draft (i.e. 2008) doesn't necessarily give this huge advantage that you and many others are claiming. No player over the 34th pick (Chalmers) in the 2008 draft has won a championship.

I don't want to wallow in the lottery, draft top 5, then wait 10 years hoping he actually materializes into something good (skill or trade) in order to get a championship, meanwhile loathing how crappy my team is and watching ticket sales fall down the tubes, which means less money to make moves.

• Like 3

Here is a great article about tanking and how it doesn't actually work.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/40055/does-tanking-even-work

TL:DR, building a winning organizational culture and making lots of good decisions in a row is how to win a championship, not tanking.

This team has made the playoffs several years in a row and still not top FA's. Hardworking role players don't attract star players... Other star players do. All Ferry is doing is replacing talented players with hardworking mediocre players.... It sounds like a change, but the results will be the same.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 2

Didn't the team, that we're trying to so hard to copy, tank to get arguably the most important cog in their system? Didn't said cog end up to be one of the best players EVER at his position and future first ballot hall of famer? Nah, that can't be it. That would just be silly. What moves do you think we should make to stop from being that consistent speed bump on the treads of the actual contenders?

Didn't the team, that we're trying to so hard to copy, tank to get arguably the most important cog in their system? Didn't said cog end up to be one of the best players EVER at his position and future first ballot hall of famer? Nah, that can't be it. That would just be silly.What moves do you think we should make to stop from being that consistent speed bump on the treads of the actual contenders?

Maybe if the Hawks make the playoffs 20 years in a row the superstar will start taking them seriously.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Didn't the team, that we're trying to so hard to copy, tank to get arguably the most important cog in their system? Didn't said cog end up to be one of the best players EVER at his position and future first ballot hall of famer? Nah, that can't be it. That would just be silly. What moves do you think we should make to stop from being that consistent speed bump on the treads of the actual contenders?

teans can just suck one year u know

Those enjoying that live for the present and let's win now mentality, enjoy that present day mentality. Your team may be in another city soon if the opportunity to MAYBE draft a young potential superstar doesn't come to pass. Face it, if you know this team, the city and how the economics of putting butts in the seats work around here, we need the CHANCE to get a great player. And our best chance is through the draft. Now, is that so hard to understand?

• Like 1

Those enjoying that live for the present and let's win now mentality, enjoy that present day mentality. Your team may be in another city soon if the opportunity to MAYBE draft a young potential superstar doesn't come to pass. Face it, if you know this team, the city and how the economics of putting butts in the seats work around here, we need the CHANCE to get a great player. And our best chance is through the draft. Now, is that so hard to understand?

Yes, it is Eddie. When your organization, is obviously, not trying to tank. They've won four in a row and killed a good team on the road. They're giving effort, from the GM, to the coach, to the players. I'm a fan, and I commend them for not throwing in the towel and playing in the present and trying to win games. That's the point.

• Premium Member

You're right, because drafting great players means you're guaranteed a title. Just ask New Orleans when they drafted Chris Paul, or Cleveland when they drafted Lebron James, or Orlando when they drafted Dwight Howard, or Portland when they drafted Greg Oden, or Chicago when they drafted Derrick Rose, ...oh...wait a second... In fact, looking back 10 years all the way to 2004, the only teams that drafted top 5 and have won championships since are Miami (Drafted MIchael Beasley at #2 in 2008), Boston (Drafted Jeff Green at 5 in the 2007 draft) and Dallas (Drafted Devin Harris at 5 in the 2004 draft). There is something in common with all of these teams, they were all formed via trades and free agency, with none of the players actually on the team when they won the championship. Of course, one could argue that the draftees were used in trades to help get the pieces needed to form the championship team (not the case with Miami, who salary dumped beasley for 2 second round picks), but I think that shows that having a top 5 pick, even in a super deep draft (i.e. 2008) doesn't necessarily give this huge advantage that you and many others are claiming. No player over the 34th pick (Chalmers) in the 2008 draft has won a championship. I don't want to wallow in the lottery, draft top 5, then wait 10 years hoping he actually materializes into something good (skill or trade) in order to get a championship, meanwhile loathing how crappy my team is and watching ticket sales fall down the tubes, which means less money to make moves.

Although it happened prior to 2004, it cannot be ignored that the Spurs who won the title in 2005 and 2007 drafted Duncan top 5. And the Heat drafted Wade top 5 in 2004 which is an essential key to there 3 (soon to be 4) titles since. It's extremely remote that those teams win those titles without those picks. Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

Is it so hard to understand that due to the team, city and economics that you will only accelerate the team having to potentially move to another city by delving headlong into the draft? It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy don't you think? So what's the solution? Keep treading water and hope for a lifeline from a ship or dive deep to the bottom of the ocean and wait for Aquaman to come save you instead? Perhaps the win now people are shortsighted but just how much more farsighted are tankers? What is the drop dead date on that strategy? 3 years, 6 years, 10 years? Well by the looks of a lot of posts this wisdomed farsightedness only extends by a year as many are convinced that the franchise's savior is in THIS draft.That bit is what's giving me the chuckles.

• Premium Member

You're right, because drafting great players means you're guaranteed a title. Just ask New Orleans when they drafted Chris Paul, or Cleveland when they drafted Lebron James, or Orlando when they drafted Dwight Howard, or Portland when they drafted Greg Oden, or Chicago when they drafted Derrick Rose, ...oh...wait a second...

In fact, looking back 10 years all the way to 2004, the only teams that drafted top 5 and have won championships since are Miami (Drafted MIchael Beasley at #2 in 2008), Boston (Drafted Jeff Green at 5 in the 2007 draft) and Dallas (Drafted Devin Harris at 5 in the 2004 draft).

There is something in common with all of these teams, they were all formed via trades and free agency, with none of the players actually on the team when they won the championship. Of course, one could argue that the draftees were used in trades to help get the pieces needed to form the championship team (not the case with Miami, who salary dumped beasley for 2 second round picks), but I think that shows that having a top 5 pick, even in a super deep draft (i.e. 2008) doesn't necessarily give this huge advantage that you and many others are claiming. No player over the 34th pick (Chalmers) in the 2008 draft has won a championship.

I don't want to wallow in the lottery, draft top 5, then wait 10 years hoping he actually materializes into something good (skill or trade) in order to get a championship, meanwhile loathing how crappy my team is and watching ticket sales fall down the tubes, which means less money to make moves.

TLDR: this guy is happy with one and done playoff exists for another twenty years. The rest of us are not.

Edited by Sothron
  • Like 1