• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

*maniacal laugh*

Wretch

One spot is the difference between Rondo and Marcus Williams, Al Horford and Kevin Durant, Paul Pierce and Bonzi wells. It is in our better interest to get ourselves into the best drafting position and at least there is a CHANCE we could end up in the top 3.

Other than you have a few more Hawks games to watch, what is the benefit of making the playoffs?

Wretch . . that's only if the GM picks the right player.

If you have a chance to pick between Doug McDermott and Rodney Hood, who would you take? Would one of them be better than the other here in Atlanta? Is there a significant difference between those two players, as far as team impact?

As for the playoffs, I say the benefit would be for the young guys like Schröder and the new guys that are here, who will get a real taste of what NBA basketball is all about. It will also be an opportunity for Millsap to really put his name on the map as one of the top 30 players in the league. Players normally make their name in the playoffs. If he plays well in the playoffs, that will personally give him some levelage in 2015, when his contract is up.

It will also give some of them a real sense of what a true Atlanta crowd can be like. As bad as that city can be when it comes to attendance, the one thing I can say about the A, is that they do come out for the playoffs.

Game 3, if we play Miami, will be like a high school rivalry game, with bandwagon ATL Heat fans rooting hard for Lebron, and with Hawks fans trying to match their enthusiasm. If we win Game 3, Game 4 in Atlanta is ALWAYS a pro Atlanta crowd in which the fans really get into it.

Like I said, if the GM wanted to be in the lottery, you don't build a team strong enough to make the playoffs. You don't do stuff halfway. Either go all the way or don't do it at all.

• Premium Member

Wretch . . that's only if the GM picks the right player.

If you have a chance to pick between Doug McDermott and Rodney Hood, who would you take? Would one of them be better than the other here in Atlanta? Is there a significant difference between those two players, as far as team impact?

As for the playoffs, I say the benefit would be for the young guys like Schröder and the new guys that are here, who will get a real taste of what NBA basketball is all about. It will also be an opportunity for Millsap to really put his name on the map as one of the top 30 players in the league. Players normally make their name in the playoffs. If he plays well in the playoffs, that will personally give him some levelage in 2015, when his contract is up.

It will also give some of them a real sense of what a true Atlanta crowd can be like. As bad as that city can be when it comes to attendance, the one thing I can say about the A, is that they do come out for the playoffs.

Game 3, if we play Miami, will be like a high school rivalry game, with bandwagon ATL Heat fans rooting hard for Lebron, and with Hawks fans trying to match their enthusiasm. If we win Game 3, Game 4 in Atlanta is ALWAYS a pro Atlanta crowd in which the fans really get into it.

Like I said, if the GM wanted to be in the lottery, you don't build a team strong enough to make the playoffs. You don't do stuff halfway. Either go all the way or don't do it at all.

We're in agreement on a lot of things. I can't argue with you about what we SHOULD be doing. Personally, I saw no point in playing for the playoffs once we unloaded JJ. To me, that's where you start your rebuild and you start over - you don't tinker with the idea of sliding into the playoffs. My biggest fear is that Ferry actually believed these last two teams he built were good enough to contend...

As far as the "benefits" to making the playoffs? I don't agree. I don't think it has much effect, if any, on a young player. You are either talent and you come into your own, leading your squad into contention, or you are just another NBA journeyman who will eventually find his place (role) with a real team. I think any young player can find himself in the playoffs or during the LONG 82 game grind. Especially after 2-3 years of it.

I know it's not going to make a veteran like Paul Millsap any better or worse. He's a very good player and I'm glad we have him. But he is what he is and a token playoff appearance isn't going to make him any more or less formidable IMO.

I think the benefits, if any, are unsubstantiated without any tangible proof and no testable method. It's all subjective rhetoric. What we need is talent and we need the best shot at getting it.

I remember when Indiana came down here in the 90's and took over our home court - that's what it'll be like if we play Miami. I don't think getting booed in the playoffs on your homecourt, or getting swept, is a valuable lesson for the young guys. If anything, it'll teach them that they need to get the f*** out of here. lol

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

Historical 14th picks -

A lot of good picks... During the 80's. Tim Hardaway, Dan Majerle, Clyde Drexler. No one worth a damn since.

As soon as you break top 10 though... Some good players throughout history at 9. Cross your fingers for 10 or better.

If we miss the playoffs we'll get lower than the 14th pick. The western conference has too many good teams. I'd guess the 10th pick.

• Premium Member

If we miss the playoffs we'll get lower than the 14th pick. The western conference has too many good teams. I'd guess the 10th pick.

Exactly. Unfortunately, the Knicks dropping the last two games is pretty much wrapping this race up.

Looks like somebody's a prophet. Wait a minute, you put this out there:

Thanks for using your powers for evil @PSSSHHHRRR87

I think he needs a time out for this...or a cookie. Not sure which.

• Like 1

I venture to say another sub-.500 playoff appearance, especially one vs the Heat (which will undoubtedly guarantee 4 Heat home games) will damage the franchise's rep among FA more than the playoff experience will help the young guys.

What is truly more damaging?

Making the playoffs and pushing the Heat to 6 or 7 games, which would give validation that Bud and his system IS working .. If he has the talent?

Or not making the playoffs and being a complete afterthought to not only the media, but to free agents as well?

Even if the Hawks get swept, a free agent could look at our team and say to himself ... "hey, I could help them".

Playoffs = national exposure

If the Heat wipe the floor with us, they were supposed to do it.

If we push them to 6 or 7 games, people will notice that and give us props.

• Like 2

Making the playoffs and pushing the Heat to 6 or 7 games, which would give validation that Bud and his system IS working .. If he has the talent?

Or not making the playoffs and being a complete afterthought to not only the media, but to free agents as well?

Even if the Hawks get swept, a free agent could look at our team and say to himself ... "hey, I could help them".

And I know that "props" doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. But unless we miss the playoffs and get extremely lucky enough to land one of those top 3 seeds, we're going to be right back in the same boat next season.

And even then, it's still up to the GM to make the right selection to help the team. If a guy like Julius Randle is the best available on the board, do you bypass him to draft Dante Exum . . just because you have Horford and Millsap on the roster? It's potential mistakes like these that see GMs constantly make mistakes in the draft. They too often draft for need, instead of drafting the guy who can be a potential star.

Now this is not to say that Randle will be a better NBA player than Exum. Heck, it may be Marcus Smart. The point is that if the GM doesn't identify who has the most potential to be a star or a superstar, you can still mess up the draft.

We Hawks fans know all about messing up top 10 picks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

At this point, I think it's all moot. We're going to the playoffs, we're going to stay competitive, we're not rebuilding. I will say though that I just don't buy the whole "Let's win and show the world we're winners!" thing. What is so different now? You guys act like we have not been winning for years. We had 50+ win teams in the 90's and our boys have been playing winning/competitive basketball for the last 6-7 seasons.

Where is all the praise and culture change from that?
Why aren't the free agents begging to come here?
Where is all the increased media coverage?

It's fool's gold man. All that stuff comes when you win big games. You can't win big games without elite talent.

[insert tired argument about the best way to get elite talent here]

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Moderators

When he said 4 home games for the Heat he wasn't suggesting the Hawks push them to 6 or 7 games. He was saying the Heat would get two games in Miami and then 2 in Atlanta where there would be more Heat nut huggers than Hawks fans and the embarrassment of getting beaten down in Atlanta with Miami fans loud and proud would deter FAs from wanting to sign here.

• Like 3

When he said 4 home games for the Heat he wasn't suggesting the Hawks push them to 6 or 7 games. He was saying the Heat would get two games in Miami and then 2 in Atlanta where there would be more Heat nut huggers than Hawks fans and the embarrassment of getting beaten down in Atlanta with Miami fans loud and proud would deter FAs from wanting to sign here.

Well what if the Hawks DO push them to 6 or 7 games? What then?

Like I said earlier, people thought we were doomed when we made the playoffs back in 2008 and faced a much better Boston Celtics team. I was at Game 3 vs Boston, and the crowd was easily 40% Celtics fans. But when we won Game 3, the city got behind the Hawks a little more for Game 4. By Game 6, that crowd was fully Atlanta supported.

So let me get this straight.

If I'm a free agent, and I see the Hawks get swept by the Heat, in front of a 40% Heat crowd in ATL . . . .

that's better than the Hawks not being seen at all on national TV, for that free agent to not see us? ( who may be watching the playoffs because his team sucks too )

We don't get much national exposure as it is. We'll get tons of it with a series against the Heat . . just like we got against Boston back in 2008.

If I'm a free agent, I'm either going to go to the team that can pay me the most . . where I can play the most . . or be a part of a playoff level team. The Hawks definitely aren't going to pay the most. And we're a borderline playoff team right now. So the determining factor may be if he can get a lot of playing time here. The only way he may know that, is if he watches the team.

If I'm a free agent center, Atlanta may be the place to look at, because once I see who they have at center, I may make the determination that I can beat him out for the job and get minutes.

• Like 1

It's funny how fans have praised the GM all year about building a team that can be "competitive". But when it comes to the ultimate test to show how "competitive" they really are, people have no faith in them at all.

So I guess all of that talk believing the GM was simply a lie . . or at the very least, just a bunch of "hope talk" to support anything the GM does.

• Premium Member

Well what if the Hawks DO push them to 6 or 7 games? What then?

Like I said earlier, people thought we were doomed when we made the playoffs back in 2008 and faced a much better Boston Celtics team. I was at Game 3 vs Boston, and the crowd was easily 40% Celtics fans. But when we won Game 3, the city got behind the Hawks a little more for Game 4. By Game 6, that crowd was fully Atlanta supported.

So let me get this straight.

If I'm a free agent, and I see the Hawks get swept by the Heat, in front of a 40% Heat crowd in ATL . . . .

that's better than the Hawks not being seen at all on national TV, for that free agent to not see us? ( who may be watching the playoffs because his team sucks too )

We don't get much national exposure as it is. We'll get tons of it with a series against the Heat . . just like we got against Boston back in 2008.

If I'm a free agent, I'm either going to go to the team that can pay me the most . . where I can play the most . . or be a part of a playoff level team. The Hawks definitely aren't going to pay the most. And we're a borderline playoff team right now. So the determining factor may be if he can get a lot of playing time here. The only way he may know that, is if he watches the team.

If I'm a free agent center, Atlanta may be the place to look at, because once I see who they have at center, I may make the determination that I can beat him out for the job and get minutes.

Time and circumstance is the difference between the 2008 team and this team.

The 2008 team was was not only primarily young, but it was also the first team in like 10 years to make the playoffs. It offered hope for better things in the future. That's why the fans supported them in good faith during that playoff series. But instead of continuing to build off that, the organization got stagnant because they were satisfied with just making the playoffs.

This team is comprised primarily of veterans, many of whom may not even be on the team in two or three years. They really don't offer the fans anything to get excited about for the future. Most folks see the same thing that's been going on the past seven years...a team that can make the playoffs and that's it. They've grown largely indifferent towards it. Not only do the fans see it, but free agents do too.

Lastly, all exposure is not good exposure. I'm pretty sure no meaningful free agents were impressed when the Hawks were blown out in record fashion by the Magic in 2010. Or when they were swept by the Cavs in 2009. Or when they failed to advance past the first round in 2012 and 2013.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

• Moderators

It's funny how fans have praised the GM all year about building a team that can be "competitive". But when it comes to the ultimate test to show how "competitive" they really are, people have no faith in them at all.

So I guess all of that talk believing the GM was simply a lie . . or at the very least, just a bunch of "hope talk" to support anything the GM does.

Not everyone liked the "competitive" approach. I think it is not a good path to reaching the next level and hope I am wrong. I saw the team as having a second round appearance as its ceiling to start the year. With no Horford that scenario became less likely. Against the Heat I see our ceiling as winning 1 game and so will be impressed with a 7 game series. A 7 game series could be good for FAs and a 6 game series wouldn't hurt. I just think we are more likely to get spanked. Our best hope for winning a few is that the Heat won't take us seriously.

I am predicting a sweep by a net 65 points right now for whatever that is worth.