• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks are like Spurs topics

Dirtybird26

Very interesting. I think he was trying to say measurables are only a tool, not an end-all, like any stat. I still don't know what to make of Kawhi. He can't be as good as he's shown at such a young age, but that's the Pop factor for you. If he had average hand size, he might be an average player. They factor in to almost everthing he does. As far as Kyle, most knowledgable fans know he's so much more than his measurables, that are better than most would think. He's very long, so that might've played into impressive vertical numbers. But is that measured from the floor to feet or the little pole thing that measures their index? I don't know, I'm just rambling.

I used to think Danny Green was a bum, but he's okay now. Damn near everytime he reaches for a steal he gets it. Belinelli on the other hand will go the way of George Hill and Gary Neal, out the door. If either if those guys is Kyle Korver, the Spurs win last year and are up 3-0 this year.

Fundamentals, big ass hands which block the your eyesight, super duper long arms(7'3 wingspan), 8'10 standing reach, and good core strength. All the things someone like Korver lacks who doesn't have lateral quickness. Well, Kyle has fundamentals. A big part is also having Duncan at Center. I remember how much better Dennis was with Bebe at center defending than Horf or Sap.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Moderators

In 2 years we should expect to be a Finals contender.

I think our measuring stick will be can we actually beat our mentors.

The standard is set and administered by RC and Pop, and revolves around Tim. We have the two suits in place, I'm just not sure we can build around Al.

I am not nearly as optimistic as you. I will be thrilled when we are Finals contenders for the first time since Nique's Hawks took Bird's Celtics to game 7.

I think our measuring stick will be when we make the conference finals and are at least competitive in the ECF. A few regular season wins don't mean much as the Nets will tell you. 4-0 in the regular season against the Heat - destroyed by the Heat 4-1 in the playoffs.

We definitely cannot build a contender around Al in the way that the Spurs have been built around Timmy.

Granted we don't have the personnel right now of the Spurs - by any means - but the system is working.

Let's be honest - after a lackluster season - with big injuries - we took Indy to 7 games. Of course all the national guys didn't care and gave us little credit.

The San Antonio Spurs are flat out whooping the Heat. "Two and a Half Stars" has been defeated. FULL team is winning.

I Dunno...maybe the Heat can get flat out destroyed at home twice and come back and win three in a row - I doubt it - seriously.

• Like 2

Its been a pleasure to watch. Pop is an incredible coach. I hope Bud is 75% of the coach Pop is cuz that would be fine. Watching the way they play is incredible, they should have won last year. The Heat have no clue what to do to stop them. We have alot of spots to fill before we can dream to do this to Miami but your right the system and some of the players are in place. This system makes me hope a guy like John Jenkins can be healthy and hit his 3's.

• Like 2

I know this might be a little premature (that's what she said) but Kawhi Leonard is reminding me of a 1991 Scottie Pippen vs the Lakers in the finals. A break out type series for both guys. If you watch Kawhi closely you can see a lot of Pippen strengths in his game. Defense, being active, aggressive slasher. Kawhi is no joke. I'm a big fan. Quiet superstar on his way

I used to have a man crush on Kawhi. Now it's a full on love affair.... Wow. More and more I just see a young Pippen.

Here he was more like Boris Meow. B.K's 1st Hawks pick. lol

To be fair...there was a time when other teams were looking at Hawks players like ripe fruit on the vine. Woody wasn't developing anybody and the other teams knew the guys could play - at least a bit.

We combined poor talent evaluation (BK) with poor coaching (Woody). Thank heavens those days are over.

• Like 2

Its been a pleasure to watch. Pop is an incredible coach. I hope Bud is 75% of the coach Pop is cuz that would be fine. Watching the way they play is incredible, they should have won last year. The Heat have no clue what to do to stop them. We have alot of spots to fill before we can dream to do this to Miami but your right the system and some of the players are in place. This system makes me hope a guy like John Jenkins can be healthy and hit his 3's.

Agreed.

I overreacted to the melo stuff earlier today and I still think melo could make the heat champions for years to come but the spurs give me a lot of hope cause full teams win championships not just stars. Miami has terrible role players cause their big 3 is eatting up all the cap.

• Premium Member

I used to really dislike the Spurs and Tim Duncan. I guess it takes a healthy dose of perspective to show you how you really feel about things. Because now, I *****REALLY***** appreciate team basketball moreso than I ever have and I couldn't be happier that we are trying to take a page out of their book.

Oh sweet mercy...let them lose!

I need a suitably sized container to run around Columbus, GA with...so I can gather all of the bandwagon Heat fans' tears and get drunk on them when this is over.

:D

• Like 2

• Premium Member

So do everybody still feel we need a superstar to win? Cause I rather have 3 or 4 all star caliber players with a deep ass bench.

One way or another, you need elite talent and the Spurs have it...along with brilliant execution, seasoned CONTENDERS, and every intangible you can think of. You guys are dreaming if you think we're anywhere near their level.

I love our team, but we have a long way to go (especially defensively and on the boards).

• Like 1

So do everybody still feel we need a superstar to win? Cause I rather have 3 or 4 all star caliber players with a deep ass bench.

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker are still elite superstars. You still need those to win titles. Doesn't hurt to have the deepest bench in the NBA to go along with that.

• Like 1

...so I can gather all of the bandwagon Heat fans' tears and get drunk on them when this is over.

grin.gif

Trust me - this is about as "over" as over can get, until the 4th win. I really think that Pop had them so into his plan - that they contested the last meaningless three as a statement. It was a "stick it up your ass" moment. No more miracle Ray Allen threes.

We (Spurs) are gonna beat you - and make damned sure you know you got beat.

(note: when I posted "we"...I meant S.A. fans...not me...I am a Hawks fan...true blue.)

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I love Hawks fans and I love Piston fans... But there is not a group of fans I love more than a group of quiet, fair-weathered Heat fans watching their "team" get dismantled by a real team. Oh those long, depressed faces give me such joy.

is-that-how-wealthy-people-laugh.gif

• Like 4

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker are still elite superstars. You still need those to win titles. Doesn't hurt to have the deepest bench in the NBA to go along with that.

And Kawhi is an absolute stud. Haven't seen a player own a team like that defensively since Rodman.

• Like 2

Kawhi is only 22! I drafted him on my fantasy team, he was crap. Guess he was saving it for when it mattered. I don't think there's a better player to slow down Bron than him.

• Like 1