• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What about Marvin Williams?

NBASupes

I know. Average. Not aggressive. Bad memories.

But for 2-3 mil, he might not be a bad signing for a backup SF.

He can shoot the corner three. Has size. Can defend his position decently. He actually fits the system we have now when he didn't fit before. Cheap.

If we miss on Deng and the gang, we would still need a SF, but a backup one for DMC. Scott clearly isn't good but for 3-5 mpg spotting at SF. Marvin could give us 16-18 mpg at SF backing up DMC.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I'd like him back for cheap, but I don't think Ferry would have interest.

That's what I was thinking. He's cheap and he actually would fit better now. Not a starter but is paid almost nothing. You pay him for a bench role basically. We could get him for 1.2-2 mil.

1287.png  is the #1 symbol of Hawks mediocrity of the last decade.

This is a new era , so let's leave guys like Marvin in the past and move on.

Though i do admit,that i miss the slapstick style comedy Marvin would provide whenever he drove to the basket 

20100320-170516-pic-892084748_t160_160.j

I always felt the symbol of Hawks mediocrity was the Hawks. But Marvin is the symbol of missing on two superstars to draft a role player.

• Like 2

Ferry and Bud are building a culture of competitors - so no.

It's the same reason I'm skeptical of Teague as the long-term answer. We need guys who bring it every night.

If you want guys who bring it every night, you'd have to cut the entire team outside of Millsap and Horford.   Teague "brought it" much more than Carroll and Korver did . . . but fans won't see it like that.

Teague had

13 double-doubles

24 games in which he scored 20 or more points

62 games in which he had 5 or more assists

32 games in which he shot 50% or higher . . . but 36 games in which he shot 40% or lower

As good as the great Kyle Korver is, he only had 7 games this season in which he broke the 20 point barrier.  As efficient as Kyle is, that's his kryptonite.  He just can't elevate his game enough to give you more monster type scoring games.

7 games in which Kyle scored 20 or more points . . . but a whopping 29 games in which Kyle scored less than 10 points in a game.

The same goes for DeMarre.   4 games in which he scored 20 or more points . . . but 29 games in which he scored less than 10 points in a game.

Yet, people point the finger at Teague for being inconsistent?

We only won 38 games last year.  Most of the team was inconsistent.

• Like 2

If you want guys who bring it every night, you'd have to cut the entire team outside of Millsap and Horford.   Teague "brought it" much more than Carroll and Korver did . . . but fans won't see it like that.

Teague had

13 double-doubles

24 games in which he scored 20 or more points

62 games in which he had 5 or more assists

32 games in which he shot 50% or higher . . . but 36 games in which he shot 40% or lower

As good as the great Kyle Korver is, he only had 7 games this season in which he broke the 20 point barrier.  As efficient as Kyle is, that's his kryptonite.  He just can't elevate his game enough to give you more monster type scoring games.

7 games in which Kyle scored 20 or more points . . . but a whopping 29 games in which Kyle scored less than 10 points in a game.

The same goes for DeMarre.   4 games in which he scored 20 or more points . . . but 29 games in which he scored less than 10 points in a game.

Yet, people point the finger at Teague for being inconsistent?

We only won 38 games last year.  Most of the team was inconsistent.

We have a high assist system and I know what he means by bring it every night. He is basically saying he wants Jeff to be more consistent.

In the role we got him in, he's not.

I agree, most of the team was and will be inconsistent to a degree. Kyle was consistent at doing his role as was DMC. Sap was a tad inconsistent but far more consistent than Jeff.

I can't agree with what you are saying. Jeff isn't consistent in his role.

I always felt the symbol of Hawks mediocrity was the Hawks. But Marvin is the symbol of missing on two superstars to draft a role player.

Right.

Branding Marvin as the "symbol of mediocrity" is ignoring the 40+ years the Hawks have been in Atlanta.   Even when we had real good teams here, we were only good enough to seriously challenge an elite team in the playoffs just one time.   

This is actually the symbol of mediocrity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfLjD5ft6o4

This is the highlight of our franchise folks . . . a great battle between 2 Hall of Fames in the 2nd round of the playoffs.   That's our ONLY claim to glory with the Hawks in Atlanta.  A LOSS in the 2nd round to the great Celtics.

And until our GM does something to enable us to get to the EC Finals, that will STILL be the high water mark of the Hawks in Atlanta.

That . . folks . . is mediocrity.

That's true but Marvin is a walking , talking example of things that went wrong in the Bk era. 8 years of Marvin is enough for me.

Hickson.gif

• Like 2

We have a high assist system and I know what he means by bring it every night. He is basically saying he wants Jeff to be more consistent.

In the role we got him in, he's not.

I agree, most of the team was and will be inconsistent to a degree. Kyle was consistent at doing his role as was DMC. Sap was a tad inconsistent but far more consistent than Jeff.

I can't agree with what you are saying. Jeff isn't consistent in his role.

The problem is that people want Jeff Teague to be an All-Star caliber PG like a Tony Parker . . instead of realizing that Teague is BY FAR the best PG the Hawks have had since Mookie Blaylock.  Teague right now, is a little above what Jason Terry was when he was a Hawk.  And he was spat on and ridiculed too by the fan base.

Terry, once he became the full time starter after his rookie year, averaged 18 ppg - 6 asst - almost 4 rebounds - 1.5 steals - shot 85% FT - 43% FG and 37% 3FG . . and was absolutely killed by Hawk fans because he couldn't do more.

Some guys are simply just good enough to be solid players, but aren't good enough to be All-Stars.   Maybe people just need to understand that like how Korver can never be a high teens or 20 ppg scorer because he can't create his own shot, Teague may not be an All-Star caliber PG that plays at a high level every night.

Teague. other than Paul Millsap, "brought it" every night.  People may just have to accept that Teague is a good, but not great PG.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

I will never forget the time Marvin had a wide open breakaway for an uncontested dunk at the other end and my mind flashed to "how can he possibly screw this up?" Nobody really contesting - Marvin can obviously dunk the ball - but still I had a feeling.

Sure enough - he double dribbled. One of the "top 10's" for good ole Marvin.

Let's get him back....basketball is entertainment to a degree...and Marvin is a proven entertainer.

• Like 1