• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What about Marvin Williams?

NBASupes

The problem is that people want Jeff Teague to be an All-Star caliber PG like a Tony Parker . . instead of realizing that Teague is BY FAR the best PG the Hawks have had since Mookie Blaylock.  Teague right now, is a little above what Jason Terry was when he was a Hawk.  And he was spat on and ridiculed too by the fan base.

Terry, once he became the full time starter after his rookie year, averaged 18 ppg - 6 asst - almost 4 rebounds - 1.5 steals - shot 85% FT - 43% FG and 37% 3FG . . and was absolutely killed by Hawk fans because he couldn't do more.

Some guys are simply just good enough to be solid players, but aren't good enough to be All-Stars.   Maybe people just need to understand that like how Korver can never be a high teens or 20 ppg scorer because he can't create his own shot, Teague may not be an All-Star caliber PG that plays at a high level every night.

Teague. other than Paul Millsap, "brought it" every night.  People may just have to accept that Teague is a good, but not great PG.

Jeff is a solid PG and a good player. Bibby was more effective in 2009-10 than Jeff any year in Atlanta. Probably the best year a Atlanta PG has had in Atlanta in ages. Horford had his most impactful year that season as well even if he is better now.

I wish some here would stop with Tony Parker. That's like us getting Tim Duncan from Horf.

I think you said it best, Jeff is more effective than JT0 but nothing more then that. In the right role and personnel, he could be an All Star like Kawhi is an all star type in the right role but for most teams, Jeff is either a 6th man or just a good player who is a solid PG.

I would love to get Marvin back on the cheap. He shot almost 36% from the 3pt line last season, he has always hit the boards, and can play as a big SF or small PF off the bench.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

The problem is that people want Jeff Teague to be an All-Star caliber PG like a Tony Parker . . instead of realizing that Teague is BY FAR the best PG the Hawks have had since Mookie Blaylock. Teague right now, is a little above what Jason Terry was when he was a Hawk. And he was spat on and ridiculed too by the fan base.

Terry, once he became the full time starter after his rookie year, averaged 18 ppg - 6 asst - almost 4 rebounds - 1.5 steals - shot 85% FT - 43% FG and 37% 3FG . . and was absolutely killed by Hawk fans because he couldn't do more.

Some guys are simply just good enough to be solid players, but aren't good enough to be All-Stars. Maybe people just need to understand that like how Korver can never be a high teens or 20 ppg scorer because he can't create his own shot, Teague may not be an All-Star caliber PG that plays at a high level every night.

Teague. other than Paul Millsap, "brought it" every night. People may just have to accept that Teague is a good, but not great PG.

I disagree with this. Teague still has the potential to be a great PG but he more often then not gets in the way of himself. This year, his confidence didn't seem to be much of an issue however he did seen to have trouble finishing from time to time. Also he resurrected his 3pt shot after the All-star break which was a big part of his game he was missing throughout the year. He's not an elite passer and likely never will be, but i think he's good enough to where he could average say 8 assists in a season. He flashes too much of great Teague for me to give up on him getting there.

I disagree with this. Teague still has the potential to be a great PG but he more often then not gets in the way of himself. This year, his confidence didn't seem to be much of an issue however he did seen to have trouble finishing from time to time. Also he resurrected his 3pt shot after the All-star break which was a big part of his game he was missing throughout the year. He's not an elite passer and likely never will be, but i think he's good enough to where he could average say 8 assists in a season. He flashes too much of great Teague for me to give up on him getting there.

Teague ain't gonna be a great PG ever. He is be better than he is right now in the right role with the right personnel but you can say that about a lot of good players. Carlos Boozer was a star in Utah in the right role and he's just solid player when he isn't. Everyone ain't for everyone.

I'm not opposed to Marvin on the cheap depending on his health situation. He can shoot and we could use the size. I always wanted to see Marvin under a great coach and in this type of offense. I also like the idea of surrounding him with pros like KK, Sap, and DMC (I know he's already had a season with the last two). Ferry should explore several other options before he gets to that point, though.

Teague ain't gonna be a great PG ever. He is be better than he is right now in the right role with the right personnel but you can say that about a lot of good players. Carlos Boozer was a star in Utah in the right role and he's just solid player when he isn't. Everyone ain't for everyone.

He's already what I'd define as a good PG and he still can get better. He already can get to where he wants to on the court and he's gotten better better deciding what to do with the ball.

He's already what I'd define as a good PG and he still can get better. He already can get to where he wants to on the court and he's gotten better better deciding what to do with the ball.

He's a solid PG. He's only really solid due to his ability to score, his defense and his athletic ability.

He doesn't run an offense well, can't really run the PnR well, and is mainly a role player but he can be a good PG if you don't expose his weaknesses. He can never be a very good or elite PG. Don't have the ability.

Jeff is a good player nonetheless.

Edited by nbasupes40retired
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Too much of a PR hit to bring him back. Ferry has been consistent in getting rid of the underachievers from the old regime and trying to change the perception of the team. Marvin the player is all fine and good but the stigma surrounding him is not.

I agree here. I like Marv and wouldn't mind if he was brought back, but bringing him back would look like we were going backwards. There is better talent at the price too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want guys who bring it every night, you'd have to cut the entire team outside of Millsap and Horford. Teague "brought it" much more than Carroll and Korver did . . . but fans won't see it like that.

Teague had

13 double-doubles

24 games in which he scored 20 or more points

62 games in which he had 5 or more assists

32 games in which he shot 50% or higher . . . but 36 games in which he shot 40% or lower

As good as the great Kyle Korver is, he only had 7 games this season in which he broke the 20 point barrier. As efficient as Kyle is, that's his kryptonite. He just can't elevate his game enough to give you more monster type scoring games.

7 games in which Kyle scored 20 or more points . . . but a whopping 29 games in which Kyle scored less than 10 points in a game.

The same goes for DeMarre. 4 games in which he scored 20 or more points . . . but 29 games in which he scored less than 10 points in a game.

Yet, people point the finger at Teague for being inconsistent?

We only won 38 games last year. Most of the team was inconsistent.

That's bc Teague is more talented than those two....their games are lacking a lot more than Teague so I don't expect the same level of play from them

Better talent around than Marvin at that price. Not worth me screaming 'Chris Paul!!!' every effin time he falls down with a clear path to the basket.

You know what they say; you don't bring trash back in the house after putting it out on the curb...

He's a solid PG. He's only really solid due to his ability to score, his defense and his athletic ability.

He doesn't run an offense well, can't really run the PnR well, and is mainly a role player but he can be a good PG if you don't expose his weaknesses. He can never be a very good or elite PG. Don't have the ability.

Jeff is a good player nonetheless.

Fair enough. I think his passing coming off a pick could stand to improve, but I don't see too many deficiencies in his game. This team doesn't need a floor general, it needs a guy who can get into the paint and cause the defense to collapse. For me, he needs to continue to work on his finishing around the rim since it's the most important facet of his game. That and maintain his shooting from latter half of the season.

Fair enough. I think his passing coming off a pick could stand to improve, but I don't see too many deficiencies in his game. This team doesn't need a floor general, it needs a guy who can get into the paint and cause the defense to collapse. For me, he needs to continue to work on his finishing around the rim since it's the most important facet of his game. That and maintain his shooting from latter half of the season.

If you focus on your defense on Jeff, he struggles.

He's doesn't have a great feel for the game and situational things seem to get Jeff. Part of the reason why he is shopped so much.

He has solid BBIQ but doesn't seem to understand thing overly well. He's never a play ahead of his defender or the defense. 

His passing off the pick isn't the problem, it's the reading off the pick which Jeff gets confused by. From what I notice, it's just best to set the screen and let Jeff attack, now some teams cut off the driving lanes but with Jeff speed and quickness and agility, he still finds a way to break the crest like a running back.

This team doesn't need a floor general, that is true. But it NEEDS someone with court vision and someone who can run PnR's as well as someone with range. That's a need, not a want.

a guy who can get into the paint and cause the defense to collapse is something we can use but it's not a need seeing as we are a ball movement based offense but this is the NBA. To some degree, you are going to have to create your own offense and Jeff can do so at a solid clip. Not a good, very good or elite clip if asked to do more than just that. Now if Jeff role is to play within himself and the defense isn't defending it or there isn't a need for him to create for others like Chicago series w/ Jamal and Joe then Jeff has freedom and his weaknesses are harder to expose that way. But you need the right personnel which we no longer have for Jeff.

I think Jeff finishing at the rim is solid for his skill-set. It's about as good as it get. What I like is him adding shots like the floater. That helped him a ton. Jeff don't have the body or body control to finish better than he is now.

The best way to make Jeff better is to hide his weaknesses. Since he has a skill-set that can be used for any type of personnel but his weaknesses can be exposed as well with the wrong type of personnel.

• Like 2

Too much of a PR hit to bring him back. Ferry has been consistent in getting rid of the underachievers from the old regime and trying to change the perception of the team. Marvin the player is all fine and good but the stigma surrounding him is not.

PR hit? Like people are going to stop going to games if we bring Marvin back?? We were 28th in attendance last season. And the expectation of him living up to be a great player because he's a former #2 pick, is long gone.

Maybe that's the GMs plan though. Bring in a bunch of players that the fan base has no great expectations for, so if they play decent, the fan base will love them.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

PR hit? Like people are going to stop going to games if we bring Marvin back?? We were 28th in attendance last season. And the expectation of him living up to be a great player because he's a former #2 pick, is long gone.

Maybe that's the GMs plan though. Bring in a bunch of players that the fan base has no great expectations for, so if they play decent, the fan base will love them.

PR hit, lmao.