• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks trade Bebe and Lou to Toronto for Salmons

GrimeyKidd

There's a difference. Joe isn't worth anything close to what he is being paid. Lou wasn't on a terrible contract, and only had one year left on the deal. That's whar I don't understand.

If you trade for cap space, you'd better put it to good use before the contract you traded away expires or else it is wasted. That means Ferry has to use the money he generated THIS off season or else he made a mistake since Lou is a free agent next year.

As far as the Joe trade, that space was put to good use and whether you like it or not keeping Joe would have set this team back.

Hmmm . . . let's see.

The best part of the Joe trade so far, is that we got a trade exception from it . . which we used on Kyle Korver.

But look at the other aspects of the trade

- We don't have a single guy on the team that we acquired for JJ

- The 1st round pick that we got from Brooklyn . . was Bebe . . and now he's gone

- But we did get the 20 million or so in space that we can . . 

2839206-keep_hope_alive_.jpg

. . . with

- Oh . . and we do still have the ability to swap picks with Brooklyn, which is the only thing we have going for us out of that trade . . other than cap space.

And as of this point, we're still looking for upgrades at the wing positions . . the position that our 123 million dollar man was playing.

Let's see if the GM can get us some help . . significant help . . with the cap space.  I suspect though that it'll just be marginal help from about 2 or 3 players.  No major free agent signings.  And people will applaud that, because it keeps us "flexible".

Hmmm . . . let's see.

The best part of the Joe trade so far, is that we got a trade exception from it . . which we used on Kyle Korver.

But look at the other aspects of the trade

- We don't have a single guy on the team that we acquired for JJ

- The 1st round pick that we got from Brooklyn . . was Bebe . . and now he's gone

- But we did get the 20 million or so in space that we can . . 

2839206-keep_hope_alive_.jpg

. . . with

- Oh . . and we do still have the ability to swap picks with Brooklyn, which is the only thing we have going for us out of that trade . . other than cap space.

And as of this point, we're still looking for upgrades at the wing positions . . the position that our 123 million dollar man was playing.

Let's see if the GM can get us some help . . significant help . . with the cap space.  I suspect though that it'll just be marginal help from about 2 or 3 players.  No major free agent signings.  And people will applaud that, because it keeps us "flexible".

I'm still glad his passionless @___ is gone.

But does it really matter? Would this team be a legit contender with him?

NO.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Think how many teams wanted Salmons with a $7 million team option? Probably every team in the league. Have you ever seen bebe score anyway but dunk? I've seen one layup. To think he'll be a role player this year is a fantasy. He's not going to look quick against nba players. I wish him well but i'm not going to bank my future on him.

While you're drunk sure, but once that wears off then reality sets in ;)

Keep drinking....end of battle :-)

So I know we made this trade but I don't keep up for a day and now I have read like 20 pages on this thread. Lol

@Ebert translation por favor

That's portguese, not spanish lol.gif

But, from what I know, he is referring to other tweet...

Where he said something like: "I could die and resurrect thrice and I wouldn't still understand some things of this life."

And then he said that that tweet wasn't about the trade, he didn't know that he was being traded at that moment and that it was about other problems, he said that he is also having familiar problems... He apologizes if there has been a misunderstanding.

Edited by Ebert

• Premium Member

Ok, some time has passed and people is already stopping the whining, so I'll tell you guys what I think.

For starters, this trade made my night. LOU IS GONE, WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?

Ok, Bebe is gone as well, but holy sh!t, people here is acting like we have traded Hakeem Friggin Olajuwon for a bag of potato chips.

Bebe's knees are shot. And people rthat say he was a wasted pick need to realize his knee problems happened months AFTER he was drafted. Therefore, DF shouldn't take any of the blame you guys are trying to place on him. Our big man project is now Tavares. A bigger, stronger and hopefully healthier project.

Lou was a blackhole in our offense and invisible in defense, he didn't fit at all. Quit b!tching "but, but... he was productive, he was an asset" when the reality is he was really useless most of the time, talking bad shots and giving away the ball most everytme he drove in traffic. He needed to go.

Not a cap expert, but I would think if we got rid of Salmons 7M contract and went to 15M cap space, then we should have roughly 8M available for free agency... I know this isn't necessarily true, but still. Not very much, not much less than 8M. Who the F could DF sign with this much money? I would think no one that really could improve the team.

Now we have 15M and I'll just say, Deng is our primary target, but I hope we can sign him to a Millsap-like contract. The ones saying there is no way this is going to happen forget Osh Smith has rejected a 15M per extension, only to sign for less money in a less desirable location. Deng could just happen. And I for one would be VERY happy if it did.

There's more. If we get Deng at 8-9 per, then we have money for yet another good free agent.

Off the top of my head... Not even citing Carmelo as I don't think we have a chance.

Deng + Hill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lou + Bebe

Deng + Hawes (would probably have to let Scott and/or Mack go) >>>Lou + Bebe

Parsons + Hill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lou + Bebe

Ariza + Hawes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lou + Bebe

Ariza + Hill + minimum guy (Granger?) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lou + Bebe

We are now able to do it. I guarantee we will have a better team when the seasons kicks in. DF is no fool.

Sincerely.

BrazilianHawk, True Believer.

Edited by BrazilianHawk
  • Like 4

He's a center who had very good potential and was raw and we traded him because we needed someone to take Lou's fugazi contract. Like I was telling Dolfan, anytime you trade a bad contract, you gonna have to come off the top with an asset. It's just the simple. I knew Atlanta was going to have to trade a 1st with Lou's deal, I didn't think it would be Bebe tho.

GTFOH a bad contract? Lou was an expiring $5 mil contract. That's not even remotely bad for him.

• Premium Member

I don't see how anyone can see a 5 million expiring deal as bad. The only way it makes sense was if DF was in desperate need of cap space NOW instead of next offseason in order to make something happen. Even then I don't see why we had to include a first rounder just to basically swap the same deal with another team with the only difference being one could expire now and the other in a year.

• Like 1

That's portguese, not spanish lol.gif

But, from what I know, he is referring to other tweet...

Where he said something like: "I could die and resurrect thrice and I wouldn't still understand some things of this life."

And then he said that that tweet wasn't about the trade, he didn't know that he was being traded at that moment and that it was about other problems, he said that he is also having familiar problems... He apologizes if there has been a misunderstanding.

Portuguese - Español same same :)

Thanks though!

• Like 1

GTFOH a bad contract? Lou was an expiring $5 mil contract. That's not even remotely bad for him.

and the Salmons contract was even better since it was non guaranteed until mid July. 

We traded next year's cap space for cap space this year and it cost us BeBe.

Safe to say Ferry wants the most competitive team on the floor as possible for this season. He wants to beat out the Nets and take their draft pick from them...........That in itself is like trading up in the 2015 draft if we can get it done.

Edited by coachx

and the Salmons contract was even better since it was non guaranteed until mid July. 

Safe to say Ferry wants the most competitive team on the floor as possible for this season. He wants to beat out the Nets and take their draft pick from them...........That in itself is like trading up in the 2015 draft if we can get it done.

So we trade away last years mid first for a chance to move up a couple spots next draft....not lol.

Ferry better be able to pull in someone very big to off-set this

If we get the players and if we finish better than the Nets and if Bebe pans out then it's a good trade. If that all fails then it's not a good trade.

It's funny that when we didn't have capspace, we talked about how valuable it was.  Now that we have it people act like you can't do anything with it.  I mean we missed on 2 stars last offseason, and people are acting like we will never sign anyone based off that experience.  Just like with fishing, you have to cast the line many times before you get a bite.  Some are longing for Joe Johnson back, ridiculous.

I will maintain that a huge difference between now and WLOC days, is that as long as our roster is not championship level at least we have flexibility.  

• Like 2