• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Greg Monroe

Swatguy

Im trying to think about the Centers Monroe would have to face in the playoffs. 

Gortat? That could be a slight issue. 

Hibbert? Yeah Im not worried about him

Bosh? 

Brook Lopez? He'd be a problem for anyone

Am I missing someone that will pose a real legitimate threat to Monroe in a 7 game series? 

Granted, its far from ideal, but I think it is the type of situation you can make it around. 

It's hard to know what SVG will do since Monroe isn't his guy.  But if there's talk of him being moved for Ryan Anderson then Millsap would certainly get it done and then some. But if we really want him then we force the Pistons to match with a big deal that gives them cap problems in year 1 if they match. 

@hawksfanatic, is it still legal to do what Houston did with Lin and Asik and if so, can you do it in reverse so that the cap hit this year is like 20 million?

Monroe isn't his guy I agree but he does bring back assets. If a stupid crazy max is offered SVG will just match it and trade it when he's ready. Centers are just too hard to come by in today's NBA (of course you know this) and Monroe's value is high right now and I think a lot of teams will pay him max if they need a center.

It's not about giving up more.  It's about giving up A LOT more to get Love. A LOT! 

Monroe still has the potential of Love but at the C spot. He's barely older than Payne and has a ton of experience already but he's far from his prime. 

Love is 25, so it isn't like Monroe is so far off that his potential can reach Love in due time. He better get on that then. Giving up alot on a treadmill team doesn't bother me. Plus who is to say what we would give up. Getting Love would be the start of something, not the endgame. Getting Monroe for Millsap and giving him close to max, will that make the treadmill a contender?

Sap, Payne, and 2 1st round picks for Love

What I had in mind. We need to make a 'splash' and start with finding an elite talent. If Horford is our best player at the start of the season, what has changed?

No freaking way.......then Love walks in free agency and we suck without 3 first round picks.

Plus the 1st round talent in Millsap that's likely willing to re-sign here in a year vs Love who's likely to leave. 

Love is 25, so it isn't like Monroe is so far off that his potential can reach Love in due time. He better get on that then. Giving up alot on a treadmill team doesn't bother me. Plus who is to say what we would give up. Getting Love would be the start of something, not the endgame. Getting Monroe for Millsap and giving him close to max, will that make the treadmill a contender?

As good as Love is.....he hasn't won any more than Monroe.

If Love was in the same situation as Monroe.......I would trade Milsap, Payne, and 2 first for Love,on a 4 year contract, in a heartbeat. I can't give that much for him on a 1 year deal though. He is not about to leave money on the table by signing an extension with us. That is a pipe dream.

Im trying to think about the Centers Monroe would have to face in the playoffs. 

Gortat? That could be a slight issue. 

Hibbert? Yeah Im not worried about him

Bosh? 

Brook Lopez? He'd be a problem for anyone

Am I missing someone that will pose a real legitimate threat to Monroe in a 7 game series? 

Granted, its far from ideal, but I think it is the type of situation you can make it around.

Drummond his former teammate but after him that would be it....now let's have some real fun !

Horford/Monroe vs nene/gortat......tie! There's some advantages and disadvantages here

Horford/Monroe vs west/hibbert......win hawks

Horford/Monroe vs ?/Bosh......win hawks

Horford/Monroe vs pierce/Lopez...win hawks

Horford/Monroe vs smith or milsap/Drummond....win hawks if smiths at pf... I would say possible tie with sap at pf

Yeah in the east that's a pretty damn good tandem that horford and Monroe!

Drummond his former teammate but after him that would be it....now let's have some real fun !

Horford/Monroe vs nene/gortat......tie! There's some advantages and disadvantages here

Horford/Monroe vs smith or milsap/Drummond....win hawks if smiths at pf... I would say possible tie with sap at pf

Drummond would shit on anyone we could get haha

Sap, Payne, and 2 1st round picks for Love

Unless Love is signing an extension (I don't mean picking up 1 year option) - that is too much to give up. (See LAL and D12).

Those match ups look good - Except it's more than head to head matchups - Monroe has to play PnR or team defense. That could be ugly.

Those match ups look good - Except it's more than head to head matchups - Monroe has to play PnR or team defense. That could be ugly.

I don't see why they don't just keep him around the goal on the offense end like the spurs do splitter? No need to force a non jump shooter to shoot all the time.

As far defense goes I will wait to hold judgement cause he did start his career in a train wreck franchise. I'd be more worried if he had started off with a great Coach like melo did (g Karl) and never improved defensively.

Personally I think bud can work and guide him to fix that flaw in his game. It's going to take some time but good thing he's 24

It's hard to know what SVG will do since Monroe isn't his guy.  But if there's talk of him being moved for Ryan Anderson then Millsap would certainly get it done and then some. But if we really want him then we force the Pistons to match with a big deal that gives them cap problems in year 1 if they match. 

@hawksfanatic, is it still legal to do what Houston did with Lin and Asik and if so, can you do it in reverse so that the cap hit this year is like 20 million? 

Yes it is still legal, but it only applies to players with less than 3 years of experience. No you cannot do it in reverse.

Look,  want Greg Monroe but not at the expense of letting Millsap or Horford go.  I'd rather move on instead.  Teams are also looking for us to screw up the Mike Scott issue (he's a RFA and someone could pull a poison contract if we tie up lots of money with anyone else).  I wouldn't Trade Horford or Millsap both of whom are just as good as Monroe but neither are good enough to play Center full time.  That's the only difference.  He can play Center and that's it.  He's not done what Horford has and not what Millsap has either.  Andre Drummond is a whole different story.  He's 100% BEAST and THEN and ONLY THEN would I trade a piece like Horford or Millsap. 

I'd offer Monroe a hefty salary and if its matched, I'll just walk on to the next best thing.  Detriot would be idiots to pay a max contract to him as they didn't even make the playoffs last year and now they would waste their cap on Monroe which is redundant with Josh Smith's position.  If they do a sign and trade deal, they wont get much as the league would easily see that they would HAVE to unload Monroe.  Meanwhile, we have armchair GM's trying to trade away significant pieces when its absolutely unnecessary.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Dang. I didn't even had the guts to read this thread to the end. Stopped at page 9, already nauseated.

People think "we can't offer Parsons 12-13 because he doesn't play good D".

And then the same people think it would be a win to send MILLSAP of all people to Detroit and then pay 13 to Monroe.

BLASPHEMY!

I hope Danny isn't this dumb. Millsap is one of our best two players and you guys are willing to trade him for Monroe? Jesus...

I must be stupid. Can't figure out what the team wins with Monroe at a higher cost instead of Millsap.

Horford is our Center. Or Hawes. Or Hill.

I would be really upset if we got Monroe at Millsap's expense. People want moves to be made, I get it, but remember, no move is better than a bad move.

Heretics.

Edited by BrazilianHawk
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Damn I did not know Monroe could pass that good for center! Man I would love to see him paired with horford and sharp shooters like korver! Monroe's post game ain't half bad either. I hope ferry can land him that will be huge!

I'm willing to trade sap plus dmc for Monroe to pair him with horford.... That's a solid good could be great tandem! Add deng and ferry would be a genius this off season.

My... effin... God... ahf2.png

Fool's gold written all over the guy. Call me when he makes An all-star team, then we talk trade.

Fool's gold written all over the guy. Call me when he makes An all-star team, then we talk trade.

Ironic that you use that icon and then proceed to make me smh that your qualifier is an all star appearance.

• Like 1

Harry the Hawk must be rolling over in his nest.  I usually disagree vehemently with just about everything you say, but we're in lock-step here.  If we can add Monroe on a reasonable deal, fine.  Trading Millsap for him is silly.

Agree with @Dolfan23 though that the all-star requirement can't be the standard.  Jamal Magloire made an all-star team.  Case closed.