• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Major Discussion Point for Me With the Trade

AHF

Man, I get on the plane for South Africa and the whole world changes over 15 hours. In like this synopses. I agree Love seems to make sense or they are going to do another bigger trade and still have FA room. I like Dolls idea of Thompson and Monroe, a lot

• Premium Member

I'm on the Parsons train.

I think DF considers the ideal scenario not only to be acquiring Parsons, but for HOU to have as much room as possible to bring in LeBron, so that he's in the other conference... opening up a clearer window for us to advance.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Man, I get on the plane for South Africa and the whole world changes over 15 hours. In like this synopses. I agree Love seems to make sense or they are going to do another bigger trade and still have FA room. I like Dolls idea of Thompson and Monroe, a lot

You might be onto something... please let us know when your return flight leaves so we can be on high alert. :D

• Like 3

There is one big question for me coming out of the trade:

What can we do now that we couldn't do before?

(1)  We need the space now.  This has to be a move for the immediate future, not for 2015.  Lou's contract was an expiring deal for next season so it would be cleared off the books anyway.

(2)  We are talking about a sizable salary.  It can't be about role players.  We had plenty of cap room to sign them anyway.

(3)  We are talking about either a mega salary or multiple mid-tier salaries.  It can't be about a single mid-tier free agent like Luol Deng because we already had room to sign him and then to add additional players with the salary cap exceptions and still be under the luxury tax.

(4)  This move should change our profile as a first/second round exit.  The fact that Ferry gave up his hand-picked choice for the #16 pick makes me think this must be a high profile move rather than just shuffling the deck chairs while we get bounced in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

One thing is certain. The added cap flexibility gives the Hawks even more options to explore. There are tons of scenarios that could play out.

On you point #4..........I think you may be reaching. I think Ferry deliberately drafted a player he could stash at pick #16, in 2013, to keep as much cap space as possible in case things heated up with Howard and or Paul. 

• Like 3

I'm on the Parsons train.

I think DF considers the ideal scenario not only to be acquiring Parsons, but for HOU to have as much room as possible to bring in LeBron, so that he's in the other conference... opening up a clearer window for us to advance.

In order for that to happen we'd be SnT'ing for Parsons I'm guessing? Which would likely mean giving Houston assets as the Wizard Morey would certainly require?  Unless we're getting Parsons for around 7-8 million there's no way I'd part with more assets to help him get LeBron. 

You might be onto something... please let us know when your return flight leaves so we can be on high alert. :D

Be back on the 8th. I've been on the Parsons bandwagon for a while but Thompson would also be a great fit. Too jet lagged to really think about all the possibilities. But, could we end up with Parsons and Love? that would be sick.

I think it is a trade, but in true DF mode we can't see it.  Nor will the media.  His moves come out of left field.  Nobody saw this coming.  He doesn't telegraph his punches.  In that vein I'm thinking we might be looking at Boogie Cousins, Rondo, Love type move. 

One thing is certain. The added cap flexibility gives the Hawks even more options to explore. There are tons of scenarios that could play out.

On you point #4..........I think you may be reaching. I think Ferry deliberately drafted a player he could stash at pick #16, in 2013, to keep as much cap space as possible in case things heated up with Howard and or Paul. 

Agree with this.  I have no idea how we are attaching so much value to a mid-tier pick in a historically weak draft getting traded.  I don't think Dallas fans threw this much of a fit when they traded both Bebe and Cunningham (another ever so valuable 1st round selection apparently ) for the rights to Shane Larkin whom they just burned as well to go along with other draft picks to get out of Calderon's contract for an expiring Chandler.

• Like 4

I think it is a trade, but in true DF mode we can't see it.  Nor will the media.  His moves come out of left field.  Nobody saw this coming.  He doesn't telegraph his punches.  In that vein I'm thinking we might be looking at Boogie Cousins, Rondo, Love type move. 

Oh man Cousins would be amazing! 

• Premium Member

Woudn't that be sweet! I'm not as optimistic as you, but they're some nice dreams to be dreamed.

• Moderators

Agree with this.  I have no idea how we are attaching so much value to a mid-tier pick in a historically weak draft getting traded.  I don't think Dallas fans threw this much of a fit when they traded both Bebe and Cunningham (another ever so valuable 1st round selection apparently ) for the rights to Shane Larkin whom they just burned as well to go along with other draft picks to get out of Calderon's contract for an expiring Chandler.

We can get bounced in the first or second round without giving up Bebe so that leaves me with three possibilities:

(1)  DF sees a move here that will get us past 1st/2nd round territory and that justifies the pick being included.

(2)  DF tried to make something of the asset but screwed up the pick and/or failed to move it for a future first while that was viable and therefore is now doing damage control.

(3)  DF never tried to get anything other than a stash player and never cared if the pick actually translated into NBA value.  In this scenario, since he knew the pick was never worth what an ordinary mid-round pick is worth he has no problem parting with it even though we will still be a 1st/2nd round exit after this play is made.

• Premium Member

Can someone do some trade checking for this?

I know as a Wolves fan that the team wants to get rid of Kevin Martin and JJ Barea. Do we have the capability now to absorb either one (or both) of their deals as well as getting Love? We could trade out Millsap to Minnesota and possibly our first for next year's draft. That would give them an All Star PF back plus a first while also taking back (maybe?) a bad deal or two off their hands.

• Moderators

Can someone do some trade checking for this?

I know as a Wolves fan that the team wants to get rid of Kevin Martin and JJ Barea. Do we have the capability now to absorb either one (or both) of their deals as well as getting Love? We could trade out Millsap to Minnesota and possibly our first for next year's draft. That would give them an All Star PF back plus a first while also taking back (maybe?) a bad deal or two off their hands.

I think we have the room to do a deal of Millsap + our 2015 first for Love, Martin & Barea (we have $18M+ in space for next year + the $9.5M of Sap's deal and are trading for roughly $26M in contracts under this scenario).

• Premium Member

I think we have the room to do a deal of Millsap + our 2015 first for Love, Martin & Barea (we have $18M+ in space for next year + the $9.5M of Sap's deal and are trading for roughly $26M in contracts under this scenario).

As much as I don't want Barea on the Hawks or Martin for that deal, if we could get Love...wow. Love+Horf+Korver+Martin+Teague would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

If I were the hawks I think I would try to trade

1) horford for love because I don't think they would want millsap on an expiring contract

2) Larry Sanders and a pick for Paul Milsap. That give k-love a real rim protector to play with, and I just read an article saying the bucks are looking to trade sanders for a veteran big man.

3) Sign Chandler Parsons

That's a pretty good, very balanced team. Especially in the East

Teague

DMC

Parsons

K-love

Sanders

Korver off the bench

Why would the T-Wolves do that ? I think the T-Wolves have little interest in gaining cap space for Kevin Love. They know that ,without Kevin Love, they not a free agent destination. I would think they want assets.

Milsap only has 1 year under contract himself. All they would get long term  is a middle to late 1st round pick.

I think they have a long list of better offers on the table for Love.

• Like 2

I'm on the Klay Thompson and Cousins train. Cousins would make a lot of sense. Seems to me we have been talking to the Kings for a while. First for the 8th pick that didn't happen and now possibly for their big man. I think the Kings do want to win now but could also be getting sick of Cousins antics. If we are getting Cousins, somewhere Horford is smiling and very excited that he no longer has to get beat up every night playing out of position.

• Moderators

Why would the T-Wolves do that ? I think the T-Wolves have little interest in gaining cap space for Kevin Love. They know that ,without Kevin Love, they not a free agent destination. I would think they want assets.

Milsap only has 1 year under contract himself. All they would get long term  is a middle to late 1st round pick.

I think they have a long list of better offers on the table for Love.

I agree it will take more but was just answering the question asked.