• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2014 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft Sign-Up

AHF

This is about it.   If we have 1 or 2 long-time participants who just haven't spoken up yet then I would let them in but this will be the core.  We could still really use some other people to speak up if they are interested so that we will have readily available alternates.  We haven't done this yet where one or more teams didn't need a co-owner or replacement owner due to other commitments.  

1. AHF

2. PSSSHHHRRR87

3. JayBirdHawk

4. lethalweapon3

5. turnerx

6. Diesel

7. coachx

8. capstone21

9. Nicholasp27

10. nathan2331

11. Buzzard

12. alejandro09

13. Dolfan23

14. GrimeyKidd

15. ATLHawks3

What was the number last year, 18?

• Moderators

im in

But I suggest we turn this into a dynasty thing. Instead of redrafting our squad every year just take your team into the next year and add the incoming rookies and make trades and pick up guys who weren't picked the year before. To me this would make it better, more strategy in it would keep people more interested in it.....just my humble opinion.

I'm not opposed to this but I think that would work better as an actual fantasy dynasty league.  We have "owner" turnover from year to year on the Squawk which would be a huge issue in a true dynasty league this size.  Without actual fantasy stats it seems unlikely that there would be lots of ongoing trades, and the fantasy stats would provide clear direction on winners and losers.  

To date, it is really a fun "dead period" exercise for the participants.  Each year people get to jump into a full blown process and discussion and with a true "dynasty" but without the fantasy side I don't think it would work.  The summer would not take very long to divide up the draft selections and would raise the big issue of how that draft order is established.  Without the fantasy stats, it would also be very difficult to determine how a team performed which would likely lead to a random draft order.  Random selections are fine when there is a deep talent pool and snake order because it somewhat balances out but a recreation of the actual NBA draft has nowhere near the depth and thus there is a harsh reality for guys at the bottom versus the guys who are taking the top lottery picks.  I mean, coachx can stomach going last when he is getting two top 20 NBA players but to do that in an annual draft format just seems unfair to the guy.

1. AHF

2. PSSSHHHRRR87

3. JayBirdHawk

4. lethalweapon3

5. turnerx

6. Diesel

7. coachx

8. capstone21

9. Nicholasp27

10. nathan2331

11. Buzzard

12. alejandro09

13. Dolfan23

14. GrimeyKidd

15. ATLHawks3

16. jy23

I feel you but that's the whole point, get a steal at the end of the draft. Good gming, more detail. We all think we could be gms anyway right lol. If we actually went through and ironed this thing out I think it could be great. I don't know how we would work it at the moment but we could figure it out. It's some smart people in here, let's get to it lol

I definitely wouldn't like a dynasty thing as it screws those of us who didn't get the good fortune to get a superstar at the top of the draft. Not to mention there's always a few teams who won't be in it the next year. You can pretty much look at the group now and see who won't be here next year, the same as the group from last year. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

And, speaking of last year...

Unlike Mark McGwire, I'm here to talk about the past.

(TL;DR version - we did alright.)

2013-14 SEASON IN REVIEW

Not everything went according to plan for the LETHAL INJECTIONS.

Kemba Walker failed to diversify his shot selection and regressed as a shooter, making him useful primarily for distributing the ball and getting the heck out of the way, unless a bailout play was needed near the end of the shot clock. Walker was transitioning from a free-wheeling offensive flow to a more disciplined one, and his struggles showed, the only HSDL player among the top 25 in field goal attempts without cracking 40 FG%. Rookie Shane Larkin was dusted off sparingly, and continues to be a developmental project as he also works on his shot and playmaking.

Bradley Beal struggled early with injury and finding proper floor balance with his backcourt mate. But he improved his ballhandling and defense and emerged as a hot-and-cold scorer by season’s end, adding Coach Kevin McHale’s pick-and-roll schemes into his offensive repertoire. The ability to plug Beal and reserve Martell Webster into the corners, or Mo Williams above the arc, did help the Injections spread the floor for the benefit of their bigs.

Gordon Hayward wilted under the pressure to emerge as a reliable top-scorer. He still finished as one of five HSDL players putting up averages of 15-5-5 (points, boards, dimes). But his accuracy plummeted and he lacked the energy needed to be productive on defense, as he was spelled heavily by Gerald Henderson during the first half of the season. Andrei Kirilenko provided minimal contributions in the second half as he struggled to return from injury.

But… OMG, LMA and DMC!

The Twin Marcuses put up pinball-style numbers together, individually putting up career-year stats for the Injections while mastering each side of the offensive high-post. The effects of Coach McHale’s tutelage were quite evident with each player.

LaMarcus Aldridge’s leadership and All-HSDL play clearly guided this team into the HSDL Playoffs. A career-high season in scoring, assists, and rebounds have cemented him as the best face-up power forward the league has to offer. Positive momentum for the Injections was impeded when Aldridge missed a month with a back injury, but he and Beal had individually stellar moments during the Injections’ brief playoff run.

The league leader in defensive rebounding percentage, DeMarcus Cousins had the highest PER of any player who ever played a full HSDL season without getting picked to the All-Star Game. Cutting down on the passive gambling helped Cousins become a much better defender in the paint. Leading the league once again in technical fouls was much easier to hide.

Terrence Jones made great strides as an offensive rebounder and weakside help defender. But he and Tristan Thompson couldn’t keep Terio in front of them if they tried, and the defense around the rim suffered anytime Cousins or Aldridge had to sit with foul trouble. Emeka Okafor’s season-long absence had a clearly detrimental effect on the Injections’ defense, and Thompson unfairly had to handle more minutes at the 5-spot than he should have.

Cousins played like a $14 million man and will be exactly that next season as his new extension kicks in. Aldridge’s uptick across the board compels the Injections to make an extension offer this summer, ahead of his 2015 free agency year. That would mean getting rid of one of the young reserves, and the less economical Thompson’s option may not get picked up.

Walker and Beal will return on team options, but management will keep an eye out for available point guards that can more effectively conduct, and defend, the pick-and-roll. Hayward’s value as a restricted free agent has deflated, but maybe not significantly enough for the Injections to match him and extend Aldridge. Upcoming acquisition targets will likely include a big man to shore up the defense, and an offensive complement to Henderson at the wing to replace Hayward.

2013-2014 LETHAL INJECTIONS: “Young, Dumb, and Full of WIN!”

PROJECTED SEASON RECORD: 46-36, 1st round exit

PLAYER (Round/Pick) [PER/EWA/WS] – Could’ve taken

LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE (1/16) [21.84/12.9/7.5] – Anthony Davis

DEMARCUS COUSINS (2/21) [26.18/17.8/7.9] – Joakim Noah

KEMBA WALKER (3/52) [16.82/7.6/5.1] –Rudy Gay          

BRADLEY BEAL (4/57) [14.32/4.8/4.0] – Eric Bledsoe

GORDON HAYWARD (5/88) [16.22/8.0/3.6] – DeMar DeRozan

TRISTAN THOMPSON (6/93) [14.96/4.5/5.7] – Dirk Nowitzki

ANDREI KIRILENKO (7/124) [12.48/0.8/1.3] – Coach Tom Thibodeau

MARTELL WEBSTER (8/129) [11.56/1.1/5.0] – Michael Carter-Williams

EMEKA OKAFOR (9/160) [DNP-INJ] – Kosta Koufos

Head Coach: KEVIN MCHALE (10/165) – Trevor Ariza

MO WILLIAMS (11/196) [11.87/0.8/2.2] – Gorgui Dieng

GERALD HENDERSON (12/201) [13.13/3.2/3.6] – Markieff Morris

TERRENCE JONES (13/232) [19.14/7.9/7.3] – Patrick Beverley

SHANE LARKIN (14/237) [8.34/-0.6/-0.1] – Tony Snell

Average PER: 15.57 (w/o Okafor), 14.37 (w/ Okafor)

70% (Estimated Wins Added): 48.2

Total Win Shares: 53.1

Total Salary: $68.8 Million

Rotation:

Walker/Williams/Larkin

Beal/Webster

Hayward/Henderson/Kirilenko

Aldridge/Jones

Cousins/Thompson/Okafor

Coach: McHale

All-Could’ve Taken Team:

Carter-Williams/Bledsoe/Beverley

DeRozan/Snell

Gay/Ariza

Davis/Nowitzki/Morris

Noah/Koufos/Dieng

Coach: Thibodeau

~lw3

• Like 1

@JayBirdHawk is the 88 All star squad's Larry Bird...that's a given due to the name alone. @Dolfan23 is prolly Michael Jordan due to #23

@AHF maybe Nique...

@Diesel is Isiah Thomas due to some thread controversy

@lethalweapon3 is Sir Charles...great interview/quotes...

It's shapin up lol

@coachx I didn't leave you out, i was thinking....Moses Malone? Patrick Ewing?

@capstone21 perhaps your Nique due to #21...if AHF is willing to be Doc Rivers

• Admin

I'd probably be a little more interested if it was at least a "Keep 5" so all the good work can be built upon. I mean look at this monster from last year:

PG - JEFF TEAGUE - TREY BURKE

SG - ANDRE IGUODOLA - AARON AFFLALO - BEN MCLEMORE

SF - PAUL GEORGE - DORRELL WRIGHT

PF - DIRK NOWITZKI - TAJ GIBSON - ANDREW NICHOLSON

C - JOAKIM NOAH - OMER ASIK - MASON PLUMLEE

Coach - COACH K

Did we ever count up the PER or WINSHARE because I must have done well no matter how you count it.

Undecided about this year as of now. This EATS a lot of time. I wish it was all in 1 day or something. People took forever sometimes last year.

coach K? When did he ever coach an NBA game?

I am in as well.

Is there a way to make this competitive though? I like the idea as it is already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I had 1 or 2 picks that may have taken awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I think you did at least a couple because I'm pretty sure you were right after me every other round... either that or pretty near me.

I definitely wouldn't like a dynasty thing as it screws those of us who didn't get the good fortune to get a superstar at the top of the draft. Not to mention there's always a few teams who won't be in it the next year. You can pretty much look at the group now and see who won't be here next year, the same as the group from last year.

So wouldn't this make it better for those people? You can draft a top prospect next year to add to your probably already deeper team. Maybe I'm just looking at it as a way to give all these armchair gms around here a way to show there ideas for building a team.

So wouldn't this make it better for those people? You can draft a top prospect next year to add to your probably already deeper team. Maybe I'm just looking at it as a way to give all these armchair gms around here a way to show there ideas for building a team.

I don't see how because I still wouldn't have a superstar and the team with that superstar would just keep adding depth around his superstar.  It's just really tough to have a better team than the guy who ends up with Lebron or KD. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't see how because I still wouldn't have a superstar and the team with that superstar would just keep adding depth around his superstar.  It's just really tough to have a better team than the guy who ends up with Lebron or KD. 

Danny, is that you?

~lw3

• Like 2

No I don't think Danny whines nearly as much as me. But then again Danny doesn't get screwed by @AHF and end up with a middle of the round pick each time.

@Dolfan23 Don't be pissy @AHF because you selected NN and Bynum / the all KNEES team.

@Dolfan23 Don't be pissy @AHF because you selected NN and Bynum / the all KNEES team.

I think it's because I sympathize with them. Just found out today I've got a torn meniscus and now I gotta play through the pain and finish the softball season and then play football season. Gonna be tough but I'm not gonna wuss out. 

Ok you get Lebron OR KD...or you get possibly Drummond AND Rondo....I think I'll be ok with either. The first year when I got lebron I feel like my team was the worst one I've had overall. Yeah I had lebron but I wasn't competing with everyone else who got to build deeper squads.

I don't like the keep five only because it would in all likelihood change last seasons strategy for most. Now if that is something people want to start this year, so long as everyone is on board, I am for it. If not, what we have been doing is fine with me.

Ok you get Lebron OR KD...or you get possibly Drummond AND Rondo....I think I'll be ok with either. The first year when I got lebron I feel like my team was the worst one I've had overall. Yeah I had lebron but I wasn't competing with everyone else who got to build deeper squads.

I don't even remember who my 1st pick was last year but I'm sure it was nobody even remotely on the level of Lebron or KD.  I get your point but I think I'd rather suffer through having a superstar to build around, especially in a dynasty format.