• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are we going to do with Salmons?

Diesel

Sorry, but this team is not all that talented.

Yes, I know*. That's almost my exact point. It took a team as talented as the Heat a few weeks to figure out how to play together. They did not have a new coach and they were not installing a new system. Thus, a less talented team with a brand new coach and a brand new system should not be expected to gel early in the season.

Edit: Yes, I know we have (/had) less talent than Miami.

Edited by supermariowest
  • Like 1

Yes, I know. That's almost my exact point. It took a team as talented as the Heat a few weeks to figure out how to play together. They did not have a new coach and they were not installing a new system. Thus, a less talented team with a brand new coach and a brand new system should not be expected to gel early in the season.

There is no real reason to believe this team would have gotten much better. There is very little potential on this roster. Even in the weak east, the best last years team could have done in wins would have been the low 40's... So, what's the big deal?

There is no real reason to believe this team would have gotten much better. There is very little potential on this roster. Even in the weak east, the best last years team could have done in wins would have been the low 40's... So, what's the big deal?

Well, it looks like you've missed my point entirely. Good work.

Again: If it takes a very talented team a few weeks to learn how to play together (with the added benefit of continuity in the offensive system and coaching staff), then one should expect a less talented team (with a new coaching staff and a new offensive system) to take a few weeks to learn how to play together. Thus, to suggest that we could not have possibly improved on a 16-13 start is just blind hating.

Edited by supermariowest

Well, it looks like you've missed my point entirely. Good work.

Again: If it takes a very talented team a few weeks to learn how to play together (with the added benefit of continuity in the offensive system and coaching staff), then one should expect a less talented team (with a new coaching staff and a new offensive system) to take a few weeks to learn how to play together. Thus, to suggest that we could not have possibly improved on a 16-13 start is just blind hating.

But Miami was not even as good this year as they were before. You can't tell how much of their slow start was because of the decline in their team or maybe they were coasting what. There is Evey reason to believe the Hawks were playing to their potential when Al went down. This team has very little potential and they were playing to the best they could play. This team has at least 2 starters that should not be starters in Korver and Carroll.

• Premium Member

Tell me Diesel, are all the free agents signed and are all the teams out of money? Hell no not even close. So yeah, spending has barely even started. 

Yeah, but teams have drawn up their want charts....Some teams are close to capped out and they want maybe one more guy at the vet min who can help.  Like I said, I don't know how far Salmons was in decline but if he was intent on coming back, I'm sure he would want to put his hat in the ring against guys like lamar odom.

But Miami was not even as good this year as they were before. You can't tell how much of their slow start was because of the decline in their team or maybe they were coasting what. There is Evey reason to believe the Hawks were playing to their potential when Al went down. This team has very little potential and they were playing to the best they could play. This team has at least 2 starters that should not be starters in Korver and Carroll.

Again, it seems you've missed my point entirely. I'm comparing our start last year to the very beginning of the big three era -- as in the first season LeBron, Wade, and Bosh played together. It took those guys time to learn how to function as a team but for some reason, a less talented team (with a new coach and a new system) should be expected to play to their potential from game one.

• Like 1

For the love of god can Ferry please do a miracle trade and surprise us with HOPE? This offseason might be more disappointing than last. Appreciate Dwight least giving us a meeting.

Would be confusing why Salmons would agree to an extension just to be cut at a later time. Hope there is a trade.

Again, it seems you've missed my point entirely. I'm comparing our start last year to the very beginning of the big three era -- as in the first season LeBron, Wade, and Bosh played together. It took those guys time to learn how to function as a team but for some reason, a less talented team (with a new coach and a new system) should be expected to play to their potential from game one.

Well, I don't think your point means very much.

Those are three guys that are you used to being in control of the offense most of the time. The hawks team is mostly made up of role players and so adjusting is probably easier than getting 3 dominant scorers to blend together.

Would be confusing why Salmons would agree to an extension just to be cut at a later time. Hope there is a trade.

If that Prince douche would have already made his decision, we would have seen movement on Salmons already.

If that Prince douche would have already made his decision, we would have seen movement on Salmons already.

Prince douche!!!!! If you don't mind I'm gonna borrow that from here on out. I love it.

• Premium Member

Prince Douche is playing the Princeton Offense with the league and now he has broken out to four corners.

• Like 1

Think about this Mario... When you first get Lebron, Wade and Bosh together.... You have two guys that are used to having the ball in their hands so much (Lebron, Wade) and so that is a big issue to work out. And you have 3 number one scoring options that have been the top scorer on their own team for years. It's reasonable to expect that to talk a while to work out. They worked it out quick when you take what I said into consideration.

Everyone on this team is used to deferring to a better scoring option. They're used to making those sacrifices and so how big of an adjustment can it be?

Think about this Mario... When you first get Lebron, Wade and Bosh together.... You have two guys that are used to having the ball in their hands so much (Lebron, Wade) and so that is a big issue to work out. And you have 3 number one scoring options that have been the top scorer on their own team for years. It's reasonable to expect that to talk a while to work out. They worked it out quick when you take what I said into consideration.

Everyone on this team is used to deferring to a better scoring option. They're used to making those sacrifices and so how big of an adjustment can it be?

So your argument is that a decrease in usage is harder to adjust to than an increase in usage. Or, perhaps more precisely, you are arguing that a decrease in usage requires some adjusting and that an increase in usage requires no adjusting at all. I don't think either one of these arguments has merit, though I don't know if either has been studied. Either way, I think it's unreasonable to believe last year's squad reached their ceiling within the first few weeks of the season.

• Moderators

I really hope we make good use of the cap space we saved by giving up Bebe.  I would hate to see him develop and us have given him up for nothing we couldn't have done already.

So your argument is that a decrease in usage is harder to adjust to than an increase in usage. Or, perhaps more precisely, you are arguing that a decrease in usage requires some adjusting and that an increase in usage requires no adjusting at all. I don't think either one of these arguments has merit, though I don't know if either has been studied. Either way, I think it's unreasonable to believe last year's squad reached their ceiling within the first few weeks of the season.

I think a team full of role players can buy into a team concept quicker than a team with three guys that are used to doing most of the scoring. But even with that, Miami adjusted pretty quickly.

I mean,/I can't say for sure that the Hawks peaked in 30 games last season, but I don't see how they could play much better given the talent level of the team and all. But that's my opinion.