• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks sign Thabo Sefolosha to a 3 years $12 million contract

GrimeyKidd

No clue who that guy is but good stuff.

Finally! A contract for a free agent role player that actually makes sense!

As RealGM’s Shams Charania first reported, the Atlanta Hawks have agreed to a three-year deal with former Oklahoma City Thunder swingman Thabo Sefolosha worth $12 million. The deal won’t have any team or player options and will be fully guaranteed.

Sefolosha had a bit of a down year with the Thunder last year, averaging 6.3 points and 3.6 rebounds per game and shooting 31.6 percent from three-point range. His poor shooting in the playoffs eventually lost him his starting job in the Western Conference Finals. Although he struggled from beyond the arc this season, the two seasons prior he shot above 41 percent from downtown.

At an extremely affordable price that’s fair to both Atlanta and Sefolosha, general manager Danny Ferry has signed a decent 3-and-D guy. His contract still leaves the Hawks with tons of flexibility and although Sefolosha often caught a bad rap with the Thunder for being the weak link in the starting rotation, he will add perimeter defense and three-point shooting to an already versatile and intriguing lineup.

For the Thunder, this is a more significant loss than one would assume, but it will also open the door for Reggie JacksonJeremy Lamb and Andre Roberson to get more minutes. With so many young players waiting in the wings, it was time for Sefolosha and the Thunder to part ways so the younger guys could get more minutes and build the experience OKC needs them to gain. By doing so, the Thunder have taken the first step toward feeling more comfortable with their reserves when the playoffs roll around.

Maybe we picked up Thabo as a cheap BU... and now we're spending the rest of our money on Monroe?

Then maybe we can pick up Wilson Chandler for Salmons.

Now you're talking! We couldn't exactly do those moves as we would have to drop Salmons to get enough money to max out Monroe or come close to maxing him out at least, but then we could probably find a way to make a move to get Chandler. 

Deng plays twice as many minutes because he actually has earned the PT. You seem to forget that Thabo fell out of the rotation of the Thunder who don't even have a good bench, and you talk about declining but you forget to mention his awful 2014 shooting. For someone who was trashing the Hawks trading BeBe cuz we weren't gonna do anything special with it, if you think Thabo is special or worth that move, IDK what to even say to you then.

Exactly! Dolfan acts like Thabo is better than Deng or something. Deng is a 2 time all star who still averaged over 16pts a game last year who can actually create his own shot and plays excellent defense. I don't mind signing Thabo as I've stated before but for 3 mil of our cap space which we increased by dumping a 1st rd pick from last year is not a good signing period. He isn't worth 3 mil a year. That's all i'm going to say.

• Like 1

Deng plays twice as many minutes because he actually has earned the PT. You seem to forget that Thabo fell out of the rotation of the Thunder who don't even have a good bench, and you talk about declining but you forget to mention his awful 2014 shooting. For someone who was trashing the Hawks trading BeBe cuz we weren't gonna do anything special with it, if you think Thabo is special or worth that move, IDK what to even say to you then.

Deng HAS been a better player than Thabo throughout his career but after 10 years of being run into the ground at 36 mpg it tends to take a toll on ones body. 

You seem to forget that as someone mentioned earlier Thabo was out 6 weeks prior to the playoffs injured and maybe, just maybe, he wasn't healthy in the playoffs. 

Exactly! Dolfan acts like Thabo is better than Deng or something. Deng is a 2 time all star who still averaged over 16pts a game last year who can actually create his own shot and plays excellent defense. I don't mind signing Thabo as I've stated before but for 3 mil of our cap space which we increased by dumping a 1st rd pick from last year is not a good signing period. He isn't worth 3 mil a year. That's all i'm going to say.

Well let's make a bet then, on a per 12 (depending on what Deng signs for) million dollar basis, as to who has the better season between Deng and Thabo.

So Thabo's stats get magnified by 3 and Deng's will be whatever he gets.  Then we compare at the end of the season and loser donates $50 to Hawksquawk. 

I always get a bunch of texts from friends when Hawks make an acquisition. One of my friends whose ideas I greatly respect said the following via text:

Yeah I don't think the age should be a problem. Defensive stoppers like him just seem to get smarter and more crafty in their 30s, ie- Tony Allen, James Posey. 4 mill per year seems very reasonable.

Well the haters won't like this one but...

Probably this either...

Well let's make a bet then, on a per 12 (depending on what Deng signs for) million dollar basis, as to who has the better season between Deng and Thabo.

So Thabo's stats get magnified by 3 and Deng's will be whatever he gets.  Then we compare at the end of the season and loser donates $50 to Hawksquawk. 

LOL. Let's see what Deng signs for first. Bottom line is Deng will have a much better year than Thabo and is worth much more because he actually has offensive skills as well as being as good if not better defender than Thabo. And MOST of all he fits a major hole at SF for us. That is our biggest need by a longshot.

Damn I missed the party but I'm not a fan of this signing... however I wasn't a fan of us signing Carroll or Millsap and they worked out great. 

Bingo. This is exactly that type of signing. Diesel mentioned this just duplicates DMC. Well HEYULL yeah to that! Now Hawks have a junkyard dog at the 2 AND 3.

• Like 2

Well...what if he comes in and gives us 80-90% of what Deng would have given us under Bud's system for a whole lot less money.  It's not like we are gonna get rid of Bud's system and we can still get another guy....maybe two?

I think this may just be DF separating the wheat from the chaff for the "system".  Lou Williams was a volume "get your own shot" shooter - and now he is apartment shopping in Canada.

LOL. Let's see what Deng signs for first. Bottom line is Deng will have a much better year than Thabo and is worth much more because he actually has offensive skills as well as being as good if not better defender than Thabo. And MOST of all he fits a major hole at SF for us. That is our biggest need by a longshot.

Ha. We don't have a major hole at SF. We have a major hole at DEPTH. That is our biggest need by a longshot.