• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Thabo > Lou

thecampster

I took a second today to try to discern what in the heck we're doing.  In that effort, I realized that Lou Williams deal effectively was used on Sefolosha + 1 million which when paired with the Bebe cap hold is effectively the cost for Payne (give or take a bit).  So is Thabo > Lou?  Discuss and back up your position.

Edited by thecampster

• Premium Member

I think that our perimeter defense is horrible.  So this is an upgrade defensively but probably a downgrade on the offensive side of the ball.  I believe the defense was more important at this point

• Like 1

• Premium Member

ABSOLUTELY! In both offense and defense. I mean, he's not likely to shoot us out of games and won't turn the ball over with those crazy in-traffic shot attempts.

Actually Lou kept us in several games with his instant off the bench offense.  He is one of those types who shoot you in and out of games.  

• Like 1

I think that our perimeter defense is horrible.  So this is an upgrade defensively but probably a downgrade on the offensive side of the ball.  I believe the defense was more important at this point

I would say it is an upgrade offensively getting the ball out of Lou hands and in the hands of a more effective playmaker (Teague).

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I would say it is an upgrade offensively getting the ball out of Lou hands and in the hands of a more effective playmaker (Teague).

Interesting comparison because Lou had the better A/TO ratio and TS% compared to Teague last year.  Hopefully Teague will put a gap between them this year in the numbers.

Interesting comparison because Lou had the better A/TO ratio and TS% compared to Teague last year.  Hopefully Teague will put a gap between them this year in the numbers.

Interesting that the numbers don't match my "eye test". I always felt scared when Lou had the ball this year.

• Like 2

• Admin

It is a little addition by subtraction. I always hated how teams would take advantage of us when the mini me backcourt was in there. This might also allow some room for a guy like Jenkins to step up and provide some of fence off of the bench

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Lou is a volume shooter/scorer.  Now there are pluses and minuses in this type player.  When hot he is one of the top scoring machines off the bench in the league, but when he's cold he's cold.  Lou can shoot from the outside and can go to the hole, who else in the backcourt can do that on the Hawks right now?  Teague - sometimes, Korver - Never, Jenkins - not, Mack-at times.

• Premium Member

Lou may not ever be as effective as he was for us before his injury. He needs to fearlessly attack the rim and get to the freethrow line for him to compensate for the fact he is a defensive liability on the floor. Thabo slightly > than post-ACL Lou offensively and 10 x > Lou defensively. Addition by subtraction in that the ball is in Teague's hands more and also that Dennis gets more PT and much needed experience.

its hard to measure whose better when they are different in every way as players. They are both single dimensional players. Thabo is a defensive role player while lou is a offensive one.

Its all dependent on who fits their team's needs more.

It is a little addition by subtraction. I always hated how teams would take advantage of us when the mini me backcourt was in there. This might also allow some room for a guy like Jenkins to step up and provide some of fence off of the bench

Good point.  JJ's return lessens the need for Lou as will improved defense.  Think Thabo is the more complete player which is critical in Budz system. 

• Moderators

Thabo:

• 6'7", 222 lbs, 30 years old
  • Elite defender - can defend 1, 2, or 3
  • top 5 3pt shooter from the corner
  • Injury free
  • $4 mil/yr

Lou:

• 6'0", 175 lbs, 27 years old
  • Decent all-around offensive game
  • Saloon door defender
  • Coming off major ACL injury
  • $5.25 mil/yr

Basically, an improvement all around.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Although, nothing is official on Thabo signing with us.  Probably wants to make sure Deng signs here first.  Man, that'd be embarrassing and would fuel the "nobody wants to play here" crowd if we can't even sign Thabo frickin' Sefolosha.