• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA.com - Hawks’ Schröder Has Eye On Big Stage

AHF

• Moderators

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/07/16/hawks-Schröder-has-eye-on-big-stage/?ls=nba:specialssplit4

Recent article on Schröder's development from the NBA.com's website:

Dennis Schröder knew he was up against the clock.

“I watched until the 70-minute mark, then I went to the game,” the Atlanta Hawks’ 2013 first-round pick said.

He was in Las Vegas with the Hawks’ Summer League team and they had a game Sunday evening, taking him away from watching his countrymen in the FIFA World Cup final against Argentina.

“We watched it in the locker room a little bit,” said Schröder, who grew up playing soccer before he took up basketball. The Hawks, though, had to take the floor before the match got to the 113th minute, when Mario Goetze scored to give Germany the 1-0 lead and the championship.

“It’s always good when our nation wins a world championship or a European championship,” Schröder said.

The 20-year-old won’t get the chance to compete on the world stage later this summer as a full-fledged member of the German national team. The Germans did not qualify for the FIBA World Cup (which until now has been called simply the world championships) in Spain.

The Germans weren’t helped by the fact Dirk Nowitzki has not played for the national team since 2011 in the European championships when Germany failed to qualify for the 2012 Olympics.

Schröder, the first native German drafted in the first round since Nowitzki went No. 9 in 1998, will play for Germany in the 2015 European championships with hopes of getting his country back to the Olympics for the first time since Nowitzki led them to the 2008 Beijing Games. Schröder has hinted in recent interviews that Nowitzki could decide to play once again in an effort to get the country to Brazil in 2016.

But before all of that, the 6-foot-2 point guard is focused on his NBA career and carving out a consistent spot in second-year coach Mike Budenholzer‘s rotation. Schröder played in 49 games last season and went through long stretches of watching from the bench.

The level of competition, Schröder said, was an intense eye-opener after playing two years professional in his home country where at times he could put in cruise control, yet still be the best player on the floor.

“You have to compete every night and I think that was the biggest adjustment for me is to compete every night against the best point guards in the world,” Schröder said. “That was the toughest thing to do.”

There is opportunity for Schröder behind starting point guard Jeff Teague. The Hawks traded Lou Williams to Toronto, leaving Shelvin Mack, as his prime competition.

Schröder is a quick penetrator and a primarily pass-first point guard whose shooting need works. He can be flashy and breathtaking with a first step that darts him toward the basket. His lightning-quick first step might be the reason he showed up to Vegas with a gold stripe running through the front of his hair.

“It’s me,” Schröder said of the stripe. “Everybody knows it’s me.”

The goal is for everybody to know who he is by his play on the floor. So far in Las Vegas, he has delivered both up and down performances. He put up a highlight-reel effort with 30 points on 9-for-14 shooting, including 3-for-4 from 3-point range and 9-for-10 from the free throw line in Sunday’s double-overtime loss. However, he also had eight turnovers in 32 minutes against a team made up exclusively of D-League players.

Through three games Schröder’s averaging 18.0 ppg and 3.3 apg. He’s shooting 44.7 percent (17-for-38), which is an improvement over his 38.3 percent last season (23.8 percent from 3). The No. 17 overall draft pick last summer is a skilled and confident player, but he also knows there is work to be done before he reports to training camp in October looking to play a much more significant role for the Hawks.

“What I’m working on is leading a team, talking to them, and try to focus on my shot a little, 3s and 2s, but the biggest thing is lead the team,” Schröder said. “I don’t worry about it [his role next season]. I worry about practicing hard and try to do the  things that I can control.”

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Good article in general. Dennis has to be more consistent but when he is running the PnR, he is damn near unstoppable. Makes good decisions as well but when he's running the offense, he can be good, very good, bad, etc. 

This stood out that I liked:

1.  He’s shooting 44.7 percent (17-for-38), which is an improvement over his 38.3 percent last season

2.   “I don’t worry about it [his role next season]. I worry about practicing hard and try to do the  things that I can control.”

• Premium Member

It's good to see that level of maturity in Dennis.  It's good to see him say that he can no longer put it in cruise control.  It's a lesson for all of our guards.

IF we get Shelvin back, I believe that it will be a very tough fight for that second spot.   Dennis has improved but Mack is so good.  I'm not a guy who is going to overhype a player just because we drafted him.  We have a lot of that going on here.  So, I'm not quick to say that Dennis is the future!  Dennis may be another good trading chip.  However, it seems to me that Shelvin fit the system very well and he had the maturity edge over Dennis last year.   Dennis improved his shot (it seems) and when we get to camp, it will be interesting to see how it all goes down.

Im been watching SL and Denis looks really good. His shot looks more fluid and he has some confidence in it. I really like Payne also. Im already leading the EDY bandwagon. I wish we had a spot so he could be on the team and learn in the NBA. This guy will be something special if we spend some time and money on his development.

Shelvin was head and shoulders better than Dennis last season. But Dennis seems to have improved a lot (save for the crazy # of turnovers). I've still got my on money Shelvin at this point, but it should be interesting to see how these guys duke it out. A good problem to have.

• Premium Member

Shelvin was head and shoulders better than Dennis last season. But Dennis seems to have improved a lot (save for the crazy # of turnovers). I've still got my on money Shelvin at this point, but it should be interesting to see how these guys duke it out. A good problem to have.

He looks more comfortable out there shooting the ball but he is a turnover machine right now. He will have to take care of the ball better if he wants to get that backup PG slot over Mack.