• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is This Really Our Roster?

noble

You should have something to say anytime someone is misusing assets. I do not call it whining. I call it addressing a problem.

I just don't see Lou as a big time asset. I see his contract as a anchor that needed to be cut loose. If you do a search on my post, you will find one in which I suggested amnestying Lou. It was shot down as not being within the CBA rules; but that should give you an idea of what I think of Post Injury Lou...

Edited by Buzzard

I just don't see Lou as a big time asset. I see his contract as a anchor that needed to be cut loose. If you do a search on my post, you will find one in which I suggested amnestying Lou. It was shot down as not being within the CBA rules. That should give you an idea of what I think of Post Injury Lou...

I don't agree with your thinking on what is and is not an asset. Expiring contracts are assets in the NBA. They allow you to help other teams clear salary space by sending you longer contracts. 1st rd picks are assets if you use them correctly you can get good young players on relatively cheap contracts.

Lou's expiring and the expiring of Sap are two of the biggest trade chips we had and we gave away Lou's and a 1st for nothing in return. We already had 11 million in cap space and could have signed Thabo, Baze, and our own free agents in Scott and Mack with that 11 mill. There was no need for that trade if we were not going to use the cap space or use Salmons bigger expiring to take on a longer contract.

• Like 1

I saw an article last week (can't find it now) that talked expiring contracts and how they aren't as sought after as in previous years. That's why the Bulls couldn't trade Boozer.

Lou's expiring and the expiring of Sap are two of the biggest trade chips we had and we gave away Lou's and a 1st for nothing in return. We already had 11 million in cap space and could have signed Thabo, Baze, and our own free agents in Scott and Mack with that 11 mill. There was no need for that trade if we were not going to use the cap space or use Salmons bigger expiring to take on a longer contract.

I think the whole perception of most Hawks fans is totally skewed to a fantasy world. Most teams cannot afford to keep multiple role/bench players that make 4,5, and 6 million or more bucks a year. 

We can still cut Brand lose, sign some players to fill in the 4 million; plus the .8 we are clear right now and still be exactly where you want us to be next season. Or we reup Brand and cut him lose next year...

Who says he HAS to use it? He cleared money to be agressive in FAcy to have the funds to pursue the players he wanted. He was unsuccessful!

Can you fault him for that?

But the upgrade over Lou and Cartier's spot with Thabo and Kent was worth it.

I can fault him for it. Who was he targeting that was so coveted he had to make that move? Deng? This wasn't a deep free agency to say that there were multiple players he could target. And again, my point is that we didn't need a trade to get Thabo and Bazemore, so why do it?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I like what I saw out of Kendall Marshall last year and I think we should pick him up and trade Dennis for an upgrade at SG or SF.

I like what Marshall did last season as well.

I think the whole perception of most Hawks fans is totally skewed to a fantasy world. Most teams cannot afford to keep multiple role/bench players that make 4,5, and 6 million or more bucks a year.

We can still cut Brand lose, sign some players to fill in the 4 million; plus the .8 we are clear right now and still be exactly where you want us to be next season. Or we reup Brand and cut him lose next year...

What are you talking about? Lou could be on this team right now and nothing would change except that a roster spot would be taken.

I can fault him for it. Who was he targeting that was so coveted he had to make that move? Deng? This wasn't a deep free agency to say that there were multiple players he could target. And again, my point is that we didn't need a trade to get Thabo and Bazemore, so why do it?

I think the problem you have is you covet Lou; and Ferry very obviously did'nt. I suggested an amnesty; so I sure as heck did not covet him...

I like what I saw out of Kendall Marshall last year and I think we should pick him up and trade Dennis for an upgrade at SG or SF.

No kendall for Dennis are you kidding me KM got big assists on a terrible team so it doesnt really matter and another team wil most likely get him. And the way dennis has got better and his jumper now is wet NO WAY i trade him he could be our future Point if jeff doesnt work out

What are you talking about? Lou could be on this team right now and nothing would change except that a roster spot would be taken.

That is my whole point. Our total team salary would go up 5.45 million; which you don't care about. In fantasy Hawks land that is not a big deal; in real business, Lou could be seen as a waste of 5.45 million dollars.

Edited by Buzzard

That is my whole point. Our total team salary would go up 5.45 million; which you don't care about. In fantasy Hawks land that is not a big deal; in real business, Lou could be seen as a waste of 5.45 million dollars.

So expensive we had to ADD a first round pick to get rid of him? That's not what the trade was about. I didn't want Lou on the team, but if it means losing Bebe then I'd rather have Lou sitting on the bench.

So expensive we had to ADD a first round pick to get rid of him? That's not what the trade was about. I didn't want Lou on the team, but if it means losing Bebe then I'd rather have Lou sitting on the bench.

Bebe may one day play in the NBA. Thabo and Bazemore are playing right now. Add in who ever else we sign; Brand reup or players with Brands money ( this year or next).

I am sure Ferry wanted Deng and he missed. If Bebe makes it good in the NBA it is obviously a bad deal for us. 

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Bebe may one day play in the NBA. Thabo and Bazemore are playing right now. Add in who ever else we sign; Brand reup or players with Brands money ( this year or next).

I am sure Ferry wanted Deng and he missed. If Bebe makes it good in the NBA it is obviously a bad deal for us.

I'm not sure what Ferry was thinking. Deng got 2 years/20 million from the Heat. Surely if Ferry wanted him he could have offered 2 years/22 million to seal the deal. What good is the cap space created from the trade if you don't spend it on someone? To me that was a mistake. If you have one target, you go for it. Then again, I may be wrong and he has a back up plan, but who knows?

I'm not sure what Ferry was thinking. Deng got 2 years/20 million from the Heat. Surely if Ferry wanted him he could have offered 2 years/22 million to seal the deal. What good is the cap space created from the trade if you don't spend it on someone? To me that was a mistake. If you have one target, you go for it. Then again, I may be wrong and he has a back up plan, but who knows?

Maybe Ferry did not think Deng was worth more than Teague ( 8 million a year ) or Sap ( 9 million a year ). I can see that as a logical thought. Maybe Deng wanted a chance to finish his career in Miami. But who knows for sure? 

Maybe Ferry did not think Deng was worth more than Teague ( 8 million a year ) or Sap ( 9 million a year ). I can see that as a logical thought. Maybe Deng wanted a chance to finish his career in Miami. But who knows for sure?

Maybe you're right and he didn't want Deng for that much, but if he isn't going to pay Deng, who is he going after?

... If Bebe makes it good in the NBA it is obviously a bad deal for us. 

I seriously doubt that we have to worry much about that.  Bebe was a big gamble to begin with - but I can't really blame DF for trying to make a splash.  A cheap "lesson learned" for him.  As far as Lou goes - well he was just a gunslinger who didn't keep his powder dry...to many misfires.

Short shooting guards who can't adapt to playing PG effectively are just yesterday's news IMO...and definitely have no place in Bud's system.  I hope Lou does relatively well in the future - but I doubt he will ever be a player that we will really regret getting rid of - other than the fact that he's a local guy.

Onward and Upward !!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bebe is plenty young enough to still develop, but I do believe that between the health issues and drafting Tavares, it made him a little more expendable.

As long as we still haven't re-upped Scott or Mack, I continue to think Ferry is working phones to use that cap space in some way. But I'm admittedly optimistic like that.

Real basketball people - and not star struck people - know this team is going to be good (of course if we stay healthy).  Ball movement, Millsap and Horford dominating, Korver 3`s, keep a spark fired under Teague....and this team is by all means competing for the TOP seed in the East next season.