• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is This Really Our Roster?

noble

Point Guard Jeff Teague Dennis Schröder Shooting Guard Kyle Korver Kent Bazemore Small Forward DeMarre Carroll Thabo Sefolosha John Jenkins Power Forward Paul Millsap Center Al Horford Pero Antić Mike Muscala

So Payne would be Millsap's backup. Jenkins would be the 3rd SG. Mack the backup PG. Scott the 3rd PF maybe 2nd. I am not that impressed to be honest. The starting 5 are serviceable sure. But that depth is just wow...the scoring depth on this team doesn't really scare anyone. Also, this team has had some issues with rebounding, that is still not fixed. I would love to think the defense can carry this team, I am just worried about offense in a huge way.

So as it stands how do you guys really like the depth on this team? Try to look objectively.

Maybe on defense. I can buy that. That damn scoring though. If Thabo is really in decline it could be pretty bad for us.

Weren't we 2nd in assists per game last year? The scoring shouldn't be a problem as long as our defense is solid. 

• Like 1

Weren't we 2nd in assists per game last year? The scoring shouldn't be a problem as long as our defense is solid. 

Yea the problem I see with that is really just the depth scoring. The accuracy from the backups isn't that great if Thabo is in decline and Bazemore has a bad run.

Point Guard

Jeff Teague

Dennis Schröder

I don't think it's as bad as you're saying. We don't have the best talent... But I think our GM and coach are creating a system and pieces. I just watched people win a championship that are older than me, and I'm old.

Shooting Guard

Kyle Korver

Kent Bazemore

Small Forward

DeMarre Carroll

Thabo Sefolosha

John Jenkins

Power Forward

Paul Millsap

Center

Al Horford

Pero Antić

Mike Muscala

So Payne would be Millsap's backup. Jenkins would be the 3rd SG. Mack the backup PG. Scott the 3rd PF maybe 2nd. I am not that impressed to be honest. The starting 5 are serviceable sure. But that depth is just wow...the scoring depth on this team doesn't really scare anyone. Also, this team has had some issues with rebounding, that is still not fixed. I would love to think the defense can carry this team, I am just worried about offense in a huge way.

So as it stands how do you guys really like the depth on this team? Try to look objectively.

We have to re-sign Scott+Mack or sign someone else yet.

I think that if Schröder and Jenkings or Bazemore develops (or we sign a wing) we can have a nice depth. The starting lineup will look very similar.

We have improved the team this off season, not a lot, and not that much as we would have liked, but we have improved. The problem is that a lot of teams in the East have improved too...

As I thought 2 years ago, the best signing this year will be Al Horford.

• Premium Member

Teague - Schröder - (Mack)

Korver - Thabo - Jenkins

Carroll - Bazemore - (Scott)

Millsap - Muscala - Payne

Horford - Antić - (Brand?)

In the East, this team is good for 50 regular season wins IMHO, provided no one gets injured for a lengthy period.

• Like 2

Point Guard Jeff Teague Dennis Schröder Shooting Guard Kyle Korver Kent Bazemore Small Forward DeMarre Carroll Thabo Sefolosha John Jenkins Power Forward Paul Millsap Center Al Horford Pero Antić Mike Muscala

Objectively: Horford for a full season is a huge improvement to the starting lineup. Objectively, Thabo and Bazemore are better than Lou; and will be better at shooting the three ball for us than Antić. 

It should come as no surprise that when we lost Horford we took a hit; and when we lost Ayón we took another hit. All you have to do to know this is look at the difference in records after December and then again in February. Depending on Antić for defense and offense was asking for a miracle. And Lou is no better than either Bazemore or Thabo; not anymore.

Teague - Schröder - (Mack)

Korver - Thabo - Jenkins

Carroll - Bazemore - (Scott)

Millsap - Muscala - Payne

Horford - Antić - (Brand?)

In the East, this team is good for 50 regular season wins IMHO, provided no one gets injured for a lengthy period.

I don't think Bazemore sees anytime at small forward as he is too undersized.  Shooting guard sure, but appears Thabo is the top wing back-up at both spots unless someone like Kent proves worthy of regular minutes.

I don't think Bazemore sees anytime at small forward as he is too undersized.  Shooting guard sure, but appears Thabo is the top wing back-up at both spots unless someone like Kent proves worthy of regular minutes.

Baze has super long arms, so defensively he can probably handle the lighter SFs in the league. You don't put Baze on LBJ or Carmelo, but guys like MKG, Porter, and even P George I think would work. But we'll see. 

• Moderators

Objectively: Horford for a full season is a huge improvement to the starting lineup. Objectively, Thabo and Bazemore are better than Lou; and will be better at shooting the three ball for us than Antić. 

It should come as no surprise that when we lost Horford we took a hit; and when we lost Ayón we took another hit. All you have to do to know this is look at the difference in records after December and then again in February. Depending on Antić for defense and offense was asking for a miracle. And Lou is no better than either Bazemore or Thabo; not anymore.

Offensively, I think people are underselling Lou a bit.  He was recovering from surgery last year and still scored more efficiently than Teague and had a better A/TO ratio than Teague.  

Thabo and Bazemore will clearly be defensive upgrades but he was the best offensive player of the bunch by a decent margin.  Here were the numbers on these guys last year:

Lou - 14.2 PER, 15.6 pp36, .547 TS%, .087 WS/48, 1.6 OWS*  (these were his lowest numbers in 5 years - I expect he will rebound some next season)

Bazemore - 11.2 PER, 15.9 pp36, .515 TS%, .011 WS/48, -0.6 OWS

Thabo - 10.4 PER, 8.7 pp36, .517 TS%, .092 WS/48, 0.9 OWS

Edited by AHF

I am saying that if one person starts to run cold on this team or there is an injury, this team will probably take more of a hit then they did last year. Sure they can shoot, but without a fear of us going inside on a consistent basis it allows teams to play more perimeter D. I dunno, I just really think we need more people who can make their own shot and drive a little more.