• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We Truly Might Be Better Than Expected!

sillent

Great post. I'm not too concerned about the names on the back of the jerseys. I truly believe Bud is one of the Top 5 coaches in this league already. He took a below-average talent team within minutes of a monumental playoff upset. With Al back on deck and the additions of a defender and slasher who could both possibly shoot 40% from three, overachievement has become my expectation.

With constant good health and guys gelling with each other, Bud is hell bent on "always getting better", and that is indeed what will happen with this group. I was disappointed we didn't acquire a wing who could take some handling pressure off Jeff, but it just wasn't on the plans I guess.

for some reason i think they view lamar as that wing.

for some reason i think they view lamar as that wing.

I don't know if lamar is even going to make the team.  he did not play major minutes during summer ball.  maybe if he gets into better shape he could have an impact, maybe there is an excuse for his level of play during summer ball, but he is a 2nd round rookie who lit up UNC and is a smart player but from our perspective is an unknown.

I'd be amazed if this is a great team, but I'd love it if we saw something magical. 

I'm sold.  I've been sold.  Not to mention the major improvement I expect from this coaching staff.  They have had a year to see what these guys can and can't do.  Now comes the part where you tailor the game to make these guys the best they can be.  Hawks!

• Like 1

While others in the east gotten better, I think the two main hurdles in the east to reach an NBA finals got allot worse. At least Miami is. I think they might become a lottery-team. And Indiana remains to be seen how they will bounce back from last years implosion, and without Lance and with a Hibbert who seems to walk like a grandpa all of a sudden.

So it will be an interesting year to say the least and the Hawks are all in the mix.

Also the Hawks have allot of young and still-young players who can reach a next level. Which likelyhood only increases seeing opportunities in front of them to make renowkn for themselves in the playoffs.

Edited by DS17Fanboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Of course, they're related to each other, but do we measure progress by W/L% or by how far we advance in the playoffs? I think most of us say "b." Eastern Conference finals has to be a realistic goal, doesn't it?

I like our moves, but while all of them are likely to give us better minutes than the guys they're essentially replacing, not dramatically so... doesn't seem likely that many will be predicting more than a EC semifinal exit for us with this roster.

Yes, definitely, getting Horf back is dramatic. But it's only enough to get us in the top 4 EC conversation by my estimation... not the top 2.

I just feel we have to find a way to get Horford more minutes guarding and being guarded by 4s... as good as he's been, like many others, I'm persuaded he could be an elite, maybe even Karl Malone-quality, player if we could get even just an adequate 5 eating up 20-or-so minutes every game. Some believe... I'm not yet won over to it, but I acknowledge the possibility... that his durability would also be improved by spending less time muscling up to somewhat bigger guys. But then, how do you accomplish that (getting him to the 4)? Of course, I'm pretty sure that it's not like every GM we've had the last 7 years hasn't been trying. Waiting to see if DF has any definitive surprises/answers.

• Like 1

• Moderators

While others in the east gotten better, I think the two main hurdles in the east to reach an NBA finals got allot worse. At least Miami is. I think they might become a lottery-team. And Indiana remains to be seen how they will bounce back from last years implosion, and without Lance and with a Hibbert who seems to walk like a grandpa all of a sudden.

So it will be an interesting year to say the least and the Hawks are all in the mix.

Also the Hawks have allot of young and still-young players who can reach a next level. Which likelyhood only increases seeing opportunities in front of them to make renowkn for themselves in the playoffs.

That's the way i look at it too.   The east is wide open.  Cleveland will be good but they'll have some growing pains.   We've shown we can beat Indy and I think they still have issues on that team.   West and Hibbert are going to be better than in the past all of a sudden.

Chicago is VERY injury prone and Washington, Charlotte and the Raptors have as much to prove as we do.   

• Premium Member

I googled "Eastern Conference favorites 2015," looked for the first Las Vegas website for what ought to be a relatively independent voice to the conversation... and here's what I found, divided into "favorites," "contenders," and "sleepers"...

http://www.bettingonlineusa.com/basketball/nba/2014-2015-nba-predictions-eastern-conference-favorites-contenders-and-sleepers-following-lebron-james-return-to-cleveland/

• Like 2