• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mayor weighs in

DrReality

But who is going to pay for the new arena? I think that Reed is overreaching here but a new arena that is close to transporation hub with Falcons new stadium nearby would make safer.

Let me reiterate - the Mayor did NOT mention a new arena. It was the sports talk guys.

• Moderators

Within the past year, Atlanta Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. approached fellow co-owner Bruce Levenson about selling the franchise, two people familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. Levenson wasn't interested in selling but is going to do that now, and with NBA now in a seller's market, Gearon will be in position to cash in on his investment — despite financials losses in the past decade. Gearon understands that if he wants to capitalize, he needs to sell more than just his stake. The Hawks are worth more when a majority of the team is sold. So for the second time in the past few months, an ownership group mired in a controversy over the use of racial language could stand to make a significant amount of money selling the team. In the case of the Hawks, how they got here is a decade of poor judgment, mismanagement and a power play among owners. USA Today Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.q8KJpqbU.dpuf

Please, please make this happen...

How much do you want to bet that Gearon's full transcript has them plotting to undermine Ferry / Levenson on the tape?

Either that or a bunch of other sophomoric tomfoolery that would further paint that clownership segment in an unfavorable light.  I hope this becomes a conduct issue the league can no longer live with or trust.

Is that right JTB? Gearon seems to have plenty of power as a minority ownership considering he just destroyed this franchise. Our ownership group was already seen as a joke and now it will be even worse. I dont see any one being eager to join the Hawks organization as long as Gearon is a part of this.

I think it is like that but when you have a minority owner like gearon that just want to put his authority mark and have a say so on the team just because it makes it look like he's controlling a lot when really he isn't.

Gearon isn't really controlling the franchise he just use sneaky ways to be more involved than what is being asked.

Think about it....when a decision is made and gearon disagree's he finds way to destroy a plan he doesn't like. For example when ferry was hired Levenson wanted ferry and he gave ferry permission to basically control all basketball moves and that the asg would be silent and let ferry do his thing (notice that the last couple of years ferry has been here there hasn't been any outburst from gearon jr when usually theres always something he wants to say)

So what happen is that they basically shut gearon down...for that he doesn't like ferry or Levenson so he's just waiting for them both to slip up to get them out the door and he's willing to record meetings, etc.

That's what I believe anyways....gearon doesn't hold power he's just sneaky! If he was so powerful he would have fired ferry himself instead of writing a letter to Levenson asking Levenson to fire him. Gearon is a joke.

But I will say this, a good owner can put a stop to gearons tactics. People may not want to work with him but there are things you can do to make sure assholes like gearon don't throw you in the fire as a majority owner.

How much do you want to bet that Gearon's full transcript has them plotting to undermine Ferry / Levenson on the tape?

Wouldn't doubt it! Levenson shut gearon down from the time ferry was hired and he didn't like it!

People that like gearon are bitter when things don't go their way...gearon has been planning to get ferry and Levenson out the door since the day ferry became gm.

• Moderators

I didn't think these clowns could screw up worse than the Belkin, Thrashers, Muerello debacles but they did.  I mean this is beyond a joke.   I'm sure Bud is trying to figure a way out as are most of the players.   New ownership better happen quickly.  Right now i feel like this:

3vjjs.gif

And his esteemed mayor getting involved is scary as hell.   I've never disliked a person i voted for more than Kasim Reed.   Everything he touches turns to shit and then he berates anyone who says it's not gold.   What an ass.   

I didn't think these clowns could screw up worse than the Belkin, Thrashers, Muerello debacles but they did. I mean this is beyond a joke. I'm sure Bud is trying to figure a way out as are most of the players. New ownership better happen quickly. Right now i feel like this:

3vjjs.gif

And his esteemed mayor getting involved is scary as hell. I've never disliked a person i voted for more than Kasim Reed. Everything he touches turns to shit and then he berates anyone who says it's not gold. What an ass.

The mayor said the team should have a new owner quickly so I'm just going to roll with that

Sad thing is there could be a possibility that these clowns could be the anchor keeping the team in Atlanta.

Still though ... the idea of them staying around ...  I just ...

@Dolfan23 was equally perturbed ...

@JayBirdHawk was just ... well, see for yourself ...

I'd say they're more the noose around the teams neck than an anchor. 

Gearon "wanting to stay" could just be another power play out of the weasel. A new owner is going to have to "convince" him to sell = $$$$$.

With all the power plays that Gearon plays, it's a wonder why the NHL failed under his ownership.

I see what you did there! Edited by Bahamut
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Gearon "wanting to stay" could just be another power play out of the weasel. A new owner is going to have to "convince" him to sell = $$$$$.

With all the power plays that Gearon plays, it's a wonder why the NHL failed under his ownership.

This is my only hope.  That USA Today article cites him as having wanted to sell a year or so ago so maybe it is possible that he is just fishing for dollars.  Good luck to you with that.  Just get the #*$& out of our ownership.

• Like 1