• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lou Will dropped 36pts last night! Did Danny Ferry move too fast?

• Admin

"our offense"

That's halairous.

As if Tim  Duncan or Leonard is going to walk through the door.

You leanr to player with the players you have.

he was an ISO player when he was here and was a terrible fit ..l he would get lit,up on d and was too small to guard shooting guards so we were always undersized

I think everyone should get a pass until we have the perfect roster.  The absolute perfect set of players.  It's simply not possible to win any other way.  In the meantime, there's no need to pay attention to the W/L record.  We're in hibernation mode until then I guess.

I think the trade was bad, honestly, but it had at least as much to do with roster space as it did anything else. I mean, who would you cut from this team in place of those two guys? Jenkins maybe, but then it's still an issue of losing assets. Antić?

Having said that, I still think it was a bad trade from an asset-management standpoint.

Define "extended" because yea Bud has run small guard lineups in stretches but he's never ran them for 20-30 minutes, you know the amount of minutes Louis typically gets. Louis is not effective at PG and is small for a 2 getting the kind of minutes he requires. Is it any surprise that he's been most effective when he's had 6'5" PGs in Holiday and Vasquez next to him? No, because you have big guards that can run the offense allowing him to score and they can cross match on defense so he's not taken advantage of.

Exactly.  Everybody is focused on Lou's fit offensively, I care that he didn't fit more so defensively.  We haven't been losing games because of our offense, we lost because of defense and rebounding. Lou can't help with that.

• Premium Member

Exactly.  Everybody is focused on Lou's fit offensively, I care that he didn't fit more so defensively.  We haven't been losing games because of our offense, we lost because of defense and rebounding. Lou can't help with that.

Apparentley no one we have can either......

• Like 1

He wasn't 100% at all last season, but he still doesn't fit us.  He works in Toronto because they are an ISO offense that centers around Lowry/DeRozan.  Lou is a shot creator and he fits their system.  He doesn't fit us because our offense isn't dependent on individual play.  It's about passing the ball around until it gets to someone who is open.  That's why we are ranked in the top of the league for total assists.  We pass, pass, shoot.  Lou wants to dribble, dribble, shoot. Lou was/is a ball stopper in an offense that moves the ball.  Yes, we need a scorer from the bench, but Lou isn't that guy.  Plus, Lou is undersized and is terrible on defense.  He'll be better in Toronto than he would have ever been in Atlanta.

mjlol.png

lol, I remember telling ppl this all the time last year. I even seen Lou was healthy in the 2nd half of the season but struggling but HS was full is ish as usual. This is the same fanbase that wants to trade our only star in Horford when he has been out of position for his career. I am glad Portland isn't Atlanta or they would have traded LMA along time ago since he wasn't good as a Center then they signed Robin Lopez and now LMA is one of the best players in the NBA. I hate this fanbase. You guys don't understand personnel for ish then attack me. I love you Hots but you ain't no better. I seen you attacking Horford as if Jeff Teague at PG and Horf next to an undersized PF is ideal. This franchise is a POS anyway. We never get it right. I love that Lou is balling. Just continues to prove my point that this is a POS franchise.

We could actually be a great team like Memphis. Move Al to PF. Get a legit center that fits next to Al. Get a scorer who can score on and off the ball but doesn't need to dominate the ball. A defensive minded SF which we got. A true PG which Dennis is. We got some personnel, we just don't have the rest.

I didnt like the trade from the beginning cause we dumped an asset in bebe to get a few mill in cap space a year early to go after few mediocre free agents with no guarantee that they were even interested in playing here.

The only positive about this whole ordeal is that he didnt overpay for Deng.

He's having a good season, seriously doubt he'll get anywhere near 36 again. He's in a good situation with two AS caliber guards and a big PG alongside him on a considerably better defensive team. The Raptors' second unit is tough too, combined with the Cavs' being trash. I don't miss him, he was insubordinate, a defensive liability, and took ill-advised shots, but I wish him well. He's one of the smoothest scorers to watch when he's on, like Jamal with a little less flair.

"Fit" isn't much of an issue to me, Mike has the green light if he has a hot hand but the difference is plays will be run for him instead of dribble isos. With 20 minutes his PPG would be the same as Lou's, their shooting percentages are nearly identical.

If I can make it this simple, Thabo for Lou is an upgrade, even if the deal itself was bad in most people's eyes.

Edited by benhillboy

He's having a good season, seriously doubt he'll get anywhere near 36 again. He's in a good situation with two AS caliber guards and a big PG alongside him on a considerably better defensive team. The Raptors' second unit is tough too, combined with the Cavs' being trash. I don't miss him, he was insubordinate, a defensive liability, and took ill-advised shots, but I wish him well. He's one of the smoothest scorers to watch when he's on, like Jamal with a little less flair.

"Fit" isn't much of an issue to me, Mike has the green light if he has a hot hand but the difference is plays will be run for him instead of dribble isos. With 20 minutes his PPG would be the same as Lou's, their shooting percentages are nearly identical.

If I can make it this simple, Thabo for Lou is an upgrade, even if the deal itself was bad in most people's eyes.

Without Baze, we still got enough money for Lou and Thabo. This was done so we can have cap for Gasol or Deng and we missed on both. Neither wanted to play for the treadmill Hawks.

• Like 1

It was a bad trade mostly because nothing came in return but also because it is making a possible playoff contender better. Im sure Toronto loves the trade...

It would not have been a bad trade if the Hawks where prepared to overpay for a top free-agent. There is no way around overpaying when you want a top free-agent. Simple as that.

And that being said, an ISO player doesnt have to be a ball-stopper in this system. As long as you make him subordinate to the system, and give him his well calculated shots. Also to be less predictable, and also to get the hot potato too, when the passes dont click on a possesion.

A great ISO player would only enrich this Hawks offense. If used right. I had Lance in mind for that role who is now sucking because Charlotte has no shooters. He would have been a perfect fit for Atlanta imo, barring his mental risk, which needed monitoring and care. But a guy like that can love and give you all the more when he gets respected, in form of the stability the Hawks could offer and the overpaying the Hawks would have to commit to.

At some points the Hawks just need to aquire all-star caliber talent which I see only done trough taking risks, and one of those risks is overpaying.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

Now imagine how much worse the defensive numbers and rebounds would be without Thabo particularly when DMC was missing.

Once again, we could have afforded Thabo and Jeff. The Hawks traded Lou thinking they can get Bron, Melo, Gasol, Monroe or Deng and missed on everyone. Thabo is a SF/SG. Lou was a G. They really won't get in each other way.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

It was a bad trade mostly because nothing came in return but also because it is making a possible playoff contender better. Im sure Toronto loves the trade...

It would not have been a bad trade if the Hawks where prepared to overpay for a top free-agent. There is no way around overpaying when you want a top free-agent. Simple as that.

And that being said, an ISO player doesnt have to be a ball-stopper in this system. As long as you make him subordinate to the system, and give him his well calculated shots. Also to be less predictable, and also to get the hot potato too, when the passes dont click on a possesion.

A great ISO player would only enrich this Hawks offense. If used right. I had Lance in mind for that role who is now sucking because Charlotte has no shooters. He would have been a perfect fit for Atlanta imo, barring his mental risk, which needed monitoring and care. But a guy like that can love and give you all the more when he gets respected, in form of the stability the Hawks could offer and the overpaying the Hawks would have to commit to.

At some points the Hawks just need to aquire all-star caliber talent which I see only done trough taking risks, and one of those risks is overpaying.

I think I agree with everything you said except the Lance part.  It's not just their lack of shooters that renders him ineffective.  His mental issues aren't fixable IMO.

Define "extended" because yea Bud has run small guard lineups in stretches but he's never ran them for 20-30 minutes, you know the amount of minutes Louis typically gets. Louis is not effective at PG and is small for a 2 getting the kind of minutes he requires. Is it any surprise that he's been most effective when he's had 6'5" PGs in Holiday and Vasquez next to him? No, because you have big guards that can run the offense allowing him to score and they can cross match on defense so he's not taken advantage of.

Mace, you've chosen to shoot from the hip on this subject and it will clearly cost you. According to 82games.com, coach Budenholzer uses the Schröder/Mack combination 21 minutes per game. That group also includes Kyle Korver and Mike Scott. While they're on the floor, they have a 66% winning percentage and great shooting efficiency. So the idea of Bud not using a heavy smaller lineup minutes throughout is completely false. The funny thing is that you've had so many Hawks "fans" agreeing with you. Lol! We've all watched the games, it's common sense.

post-2992-0-80376600-1416840920_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mace, you've chosen to shoot from the hip on this subject and it will clearly cost you. According to 82games.com, coach Budenholzer uses the Schröder/Mack combination 21 minutes per game. That group also includes Kyle Korver and Mike Scott. While they're on the floor, they have a 66% winning percentage and great shooting efficiency. So the idea of Bud not using a heavy smaller lineup minutes throughout is completely false. The funny thing is that you've had so many Hawks "fans" agreeing with you. Lol! We've all watched the games, it's common sense.

Yeah, get 'im wtps.

Suck it, @MaceCasesarcastic_hand.gif

• Moderators

I don't know what you guys are even discussing but I must be misunderstanding this.  I don't see how dennis/mack combo could be averaging 21 minutes a game when both guys minutes are well below that.   Or are you saying that the two of them combined are averaging 21 minutes a game.   Not sure why i'm getting in the middle of this.