Teague listed as "Probable" Pero "Questionable"

SalvorMallow

• Premium Member

Has Payne been recalled from the D League?  Would be nice to see him get some court time if Antić is out.

• Premium Member

TBH I'm honestly excited for JT to come back.  Would love to see his effort especially now that we have a near starting caliber backup nipping at his heals.  Hope to see "Playoff Teague" a little more consistently, lest Dennis will cut into his minutes. 

Also would've been nice to have him last night.  He has been doing a great job closing out games this year.

• Premium Member

"right ankle sprain"... Should be held out just because he's terrible.  I mean Payne can't be that bad.

Everyone is dogging Pero on that last play..We should be complimenting the Mavs defense.  Our second string center caught an awkward pass at mid court with nobody open.  You expect him to dribble the ball down the floor defended?  That's insane.

• Like 1

Everyone is dogging Pero on that last play..We should be complimenting the Mavs defense.  Our second string center caught an awkward pass at mid court with nobody open.  You expect him to dribble the ball down the floor defended?  That's insane.

I don't want him dribbling at all. He was past half court. all he had to do was stop and the Mavs were going to foul him. I chunked the remote on that play.....

• Moderators

Everyone is dogging Pero on that last play..We should be complimenting the Mavs defense. Our second string center caught an awkward pass at mid court with nobody open. You expect him to dribble the ball down the floor defended? That's insane.

What does Pero contribute to this team besides jacking up 3 pointers? What does he do that Payne can't?

That last play was just added to the long list of reasons Payne/Muscala should be playing over Pero.

• Premium Member

I don't want him dribbling at all. He was past half court. all he had to do was stop and the Mavs were going to foul him. I chunked the remote on that play.....

No he wasn't, I just rewatched it.  He was about 2 feet behind the three point line on the mavs side of the court.  He made it about 5 feet before he got stripped by Parsons.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Pero has played a lot better on both ends since we got hot. I have been a big time critic but he has picked up his game, and one bad play during a stretch where most of our players forgot how to play basketball shouldn't be held against him the way some of the posters on here are doing imo.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What does Pero contribute to this team besides jacking up 3 pointers? What does he do that Payne can't?

That last play was just added to the long list of reasons Payne/Muscala should be playing over Pero.g

Pero plays solid team defense and extremely good post defense.  He draws tons of fouls, sets hard, timely screens, boxes out, draws out the opposing teams big mean to the three point line, packs the paint on defense, etc...  He might not get a lot of blocks, but he sure diverts a lot of shots. 

The reason he doesn't get a lot of blocks is because he doesn't take risks around the rim.  If you watch him, he exclusively goes straight up with his hands straight up when he's defending in the post unless he intends to foul.  This makes opposing players furious because they don't catch Pero on gambling hand-slap fouls while theyre in the act and dont get calls for hard contact because they run into Pero as opposed to the other way around..

He generally does a great job of disrupting and frustrating opposing bigs.

He's also shot pretty well in the past 3 games against top flight competition.  He is 4/6 from 3 and 8/13 FG over the last 3 games. 

I think Pero drew 3 fouls in a row in the 4th quarter when the Mavs were making a huge run, severely disrupting their rhythm and allowing us to stay in the game.

Unless you think Budenholzer is an idiot, then you have to imagine he has a reason for making Pero our primary backup big man.  Or, you could think that you have a better eye for evaluating talent than our coach who has managed to make this one of the most impressive seasons the Hawks have ever played.

Edited by SalvorMallow
  • Like 3

Pero plays solid team defense and extremely good post defense. He draws tons of fouls, sets hard, timely screens, boxes out, draws out the opposing teams big mean to the free throw line, packs the paint on defense, etc... He might not get a lot of blocks, but he sure diverts a lot of shots. He generally does a great job of disrupting and frustrating opposing bigs.

He's also shot pretty well in the past 3 games against top flight competition. He is 4/6 from 3 over the last 3 games.

I think Pero drew 3 fouls in a row in the 4th quarter when the Mavs were making a huge run, severely disrupting their rhythm and allowing us to stay in the game.

Unless you think Budenholzer is an idiot, then you have to imagine he has a reason for making Pero our primary backup big man. Or, you could think that you have a better eye for evaluating talent than our coach who has managed to make this one of the most impressive seasons the Hawks have ever played.

I don't fully understand it, but Pero is a great plus/minus guy. It's not just this year with the great bench, but last year as well.

Pero plays solid team defense and extremely good post defense.  He draws tons of fouls, sets hard, timely screens, boxes out, draws out the opposing teams big mean to the free throw line, packs the paint on defense, etc...  He might not get a lot of blocks, but he sure diverts a lot of shots. 

The reason he doesn't get a lot of blocks is because he doesn't take risks around the rim.  If you watch him, he exclusively goes straight up with his hands straight up when he's defending in the post unless he intends to foul.  This makes opposing players furious because they don't catch Pero on gambling hand-slap fouls while theyre in the act and dont get calls for hard contact because they run into Pero as opposed to the other way around..

He generally does a great job of disrupting and frustrating opposing bigs.

He's also shot pretty well in the past 3 games against top flight competition.  He is 4/6 from 3 and 8/13 FG over the last 3 games. 

Unless you think Budenholzer is an idiot, then you have to imagine he has a reason for making Pero our primary backup big man.  Or, you could think that you have a better eye for evaluating talent than our coach who has managed to make this one of the most impressive seasons the Hawks have ever played.

I don't see why all of this is so hard to understand for so many people.  

• Like 2

I don't fully understand it, but Pero is a great plus/minus guy.

I think Salvor just beautifully outlined it for you. If you just read it you've got to get it.

Basically, he's a true 6'11" 260 pounder who the opposing team always feels because he's a positioning boss. You can't get caught up in the bloopers and bricks, Bud surely doesn't. He's one of the more unique, dependable bench Bigs in the league who coaches love and many teams definately wouldn't mind having for 2 mil.

I don't know what our win percentage is when Pero hits his first three or one in the first quarter, but I know it's pretty damn high. It stretches the floor that much further for the entire game.

Edited by benhillboy