• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Grizzlies

lethalweapon3

Or you could take it from the people who were actually there:

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/1/8/7513067/grizzlies-vs-hawks-recap-jeff-teague

Let me repeat, if I haven't already said this. I am not talking about how it sounded in the arena. Maybe this was a lively crowd but on TV it was NOTHING compared to the crowd noise we've had for playoff games and there were 17k fans there last night. Don't act like we're the only ones noticing this either. 

Maybe the NBA / Sportssouth just don't know how to set up microphones in Philips because the crowd was mostly dead for 3.5 quarters last night. No need to believe me, just go watch the recording. 

Let me repeat, if I haven't already said this. I am not talking about how it sounded in the arena. Maybe this was a lively crowd but on TV it was NOTHING compared to the crowd noise we've had for playoff games and there were 17k fans there last night. Don't act like we're the only ones noticing this either. 

Maybe the NBA / Sportssouth just don't know how to set up microphones in Philips because the crowd was mostly dead for 3.5 quarters last night. No need to believe me, just go watch the recording. 

Different networks do indeed have different sound setups and different stereo feeds. 

I watched the whole thing and thought it sounded just fine. Pretty much the same as any other arena sounds on FSS. 

• Moderators

I wouldn't sweat how the crowd sounds on the tube. Maybe it's mike placement, maybe it's the folks who come to the game to mingle/eat/drink/shop as much as they do to enjoy the action on the floor, maybe it's all the people who came to see a "SUPAHSTAR!" and wind up muted and checking their Tinder/Grindr/Cornster instead. Maybe it's a mix of all of that.

I'm just happy we're not like the desperate folks at Boston Gahden pumping in crowd noise to try and create an artificial advantage.

All that matters is when the Hawks need them, the Hawk fan crowd (this season) has responded in a big way, and the opponents on the floor hear it. For those who still find it unsatisfactory watching from home: Delta (and MARTA) Is Ready When You Are. C'mon down and feel free to scream for your team! You may lose your voice, but you won't lose your leg!

~lw3

Different networks do indeed have different sound setups and different stereo feeds. 

I watched the whole thing and thought it sounded just fine. Pretty much the same as any other arena sounds on FSS. 

Well I almost exclusively watch the SportsSouth Hawks feed and many other road games are incredibly loud.  And like @JETSET said I'm not "hating" on the Hawks fans, I'm just envious of the teams that have fans who are loud throughout the game.  I don't entirely blame the casual fans as we've never had anything to really believe in and I don't think many casual fans still believe in as 3D and Nique both say they have tons of people coming up to them asking if this Hawks team are for real. I hope the time will come when a regular season game doesn't mostly sound like a tennis match.

I wouldn't sweat how the crowd sounds on the tube. Maybe it's mike placement, maybe it's the folks who come to the game to mingle/eat/drink/shop as much as they do to enjoy the action on the floor, maybe it's all the people who came to see a "SUPAHSTAR!" and wind up muted and checking their Tinder/Grindr/Cornster instead. Maybe it's a mix of all of that.

I'm just happy we're not like the desperate folks at Boston Gahden pumping in crowd noise to try and create an artificial advantage.

All that matters is when the Hawks need them, the Hawk fan crowd (this season) has responded in a big way, and the opponents on the floor hear it. For those who still find it unsatisfactory watching from home: Delta (and MARTA) Is Ready When You Are. C'mon down and feel free to scream for your team! You may lose your voice, but you won't lose your leg!

~lw3

Man you know I would LOVE to be able to see a Hawks game in person but it's just not likely as it would cost me a fairly expensive round trip plane ticket plus game ticket(s) plus hotel fee and cab fare. Just too much money in this day and age when I'm praying (because I work in the oilfield industry) that I won't be laid off due to these plummeting gas prices. 

I watched the Blazers game on the NBATV rerun and their sound does come through like Dolby Surround compared to SS: Bob and Nique were on better mics, you could hear the occasional sneaker squeaks and dribbles, Teague and Sap's "come on man!" pleads to the refs, even those magical live bleeps on curse words. Beggars can't be choosy, the crowd and their enthusiasm seemed pretty good from my perspective.

I would bet a majority of fans there don't know how good Memphis is (I've never been overly impressed myself) so the excitement wasnt that of beating a good flagship franchise. This team has away of spoiling and almost boring the casual fan they're that surgical. They see one great sequence to score and say "yeah, Go Hawks!", I see about 7 or 8 different plays strung together on one defensive possession and my eyes get a little misty (I don't full cry, f&@k you pu$$y, lol). The new fans need Kyle threes to get them off their asses, no shortage of those.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

...and that's an order!

~lw3

Really?  You're gonna use 1 game as an example when I could find dozens of quotes from our players, other teams players, media people, etc. that talk about how boring it is to play in Atlanta? 

And I don't care for the players PR on a game when they can't say anything bad as it is.  I watched the whole game and didn't even notice the crowd until the final 3-4 minutes.

Anyway that's enough time arguing about a fact and I've made my point. 

• Like 1

Actually 6 on 6 with the refs DeMarre but I get the point. On defense without the refs involved we usually play 5 on 4.

Wouldn't miss that Millsap piece for the world. I kinda figured they were doing the chamber thing, all the starters probably got one in the crib and pitched in for DeMarre's.

We're forcing closed player meetings and trades, dude. Memphis wants Green or Deng.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Really? You're gonna use 1 game as an example when I could find dozens of quotes from our players, other teams players, media people, etc. that talk about how boring it is to play in Atlanta?

And I don't care for the players PR on a game when they can't say anything bad as it is. I watched the whole game and didn't even notice the crowd until the final 3-4 minutes.

Anyway that's enough time arguing about a fact and I've made my point.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "reality check." Nobody is arguing that the fans at hawks games have been some of the worst in the nba over the years. That's exactly my point. If it's been like that for years they're not all of a sudden going to become this crazy, raucous crowd over night. It takes time.

Last night was a step in the right direction. When was the last time there were that many HAWKS fans at a regular season game at Philips? No LeBron fans no Kobe fans no MVP chants. And no the fans weren't crazy the entire game but they were loud when the team needed it. And Al and Demarre's quotes after the game are proof of that.

The city is getting excited about the hawks and if you lived in Atlanta I think you'd have a better idea of the difference between this year and past years. The hawks are the number one topic in sports talk on the radio, yes even more then the falcons finding a new coach. The crowd will keep improving, just gotta be patient.

Edited by JSmooooove
  • Like 2

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "reality check." Nobody is arguing that the fans at hawks games have been some of the worst in the nba over the years. That's exactly my point. If it's been like that for years they're not all of a sudden going to become this crazy, raucous crowd over night. It takes time.

Last night was a step in the right direction. When was the last time there were that many HAWKS fans at a regular season game at Philips? No LeBron fans no Kobe fans no MVP chants. And no the fans weren't crazy the entire game but they were loud when the team needed it. And Al and Demarre's quotes after the game are proof of that.

The city is getting excited about the hawks and if you lived in Atlanta I think you'd have a better idea of the difference between this year and past years. The hawks are the number one topic in sports talk on the radio, yes even more then the falcons finding a new coach. The crowd will keep improving, just gotta be patient.

I'll certainly concede your points to you if it's true about the long lines to buy merchandise and what not. It seems that the fans in Atlanta are actually starting to get excited about this team. Time will tell whether or not Philips becomes a place where opponents want to play because of the crowd like other top teams have. I'm hopeful but skeptical. 

This was funny....Marc Gasol getting the okey doke handshake from a Hawks fan.

http://instagram.com/p/xmqafzPPtF/

Edited by Dolfan23
Embedded Instagram Pic

Muscala's 3 goggles are killing me

Everytime I see this I'm  laughing.

Mike Muscala on the Moose Goggles: "Kyle has never been THAT wide open before. I had plenty of time to break it out." #ATLHawks

B6y589PCEAAo25q.jpg

Edited by JayBirdHawk