• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

After watching last night game and keeping tabs on him all year, Mike M might not be a potential starter

NBASupes

He's a player I really like. His skill is pretty good. He has a nice mid range jumper. His rebounding is tough. He understands the ability to protect the paint although he is not really successful at it. He has a good feel for the game and he's smart. But his measureables is an epic issue. His length is of a PF. His size is of a PF. His offensive movement while solid in terms of moving around but his athletic ability is poor. He isn't fast, in fact he's slow. He's weak. He lacks too much bulk and his frame is small. He doesn't have the length to get away with it and he's stuck at center due to his lack of athleticism. He is the perfect center for Spanish ACB league but for the NBA, he's out of a position. I still think he can be a useful player but I hoped with his skills, he could be a potential starter. I seen him as a skinny Brad Miller but Miller had the potential bulk this guy greatly needs. It sucks. I still think he can be a 8th to 10th man like Bazemore is with more experience but I lost hope in him being a potential starter.

We can bad talk Antić all day but Antić has clear strengths and those can be used in the NBA. Mike, not so much. He would be a star in the European game. He could make €3.0 million euros net potentially with his skill-set but the NBA might be out of the question if he wants to be a starter. He does have some talent and good skill. Watching him play, you really see a potentially good NBA player but those measureables man. Damn. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone ever expected him to be a starter.  At least not for a competitive NBA team.  He was a 2nd round draft pick out of Bucknell.  

I like him. I see the potential but potential or not, his measureables are just a nuisance. Finding centers with good skills isn't easy at all. Most are simply measureables and size but measureables and size matter so much at that position. Muscala is five times more skilled than Gobert but who is the better NBA player? Gobert and it's not even close. 

Mike just needs to strengthen his core and work on his balance. Maybe he can hook up with Al and do Yoga, lol

He has a small frame. That might be his biggest issue. Sure he can improve his core but he needs bulk. 

Moose seems just a tad uncoordinated at times. Not very fluid. He hustles and plays hard though.

Definitely needs to gain strength.

Nevertheless I love your avatar lol...I think I rewinded that Korver 3 vs Grizz about 10 times to see the reactions of everyone on the Hawk bench...classic.

Whiteside while younger came out the same size as Muscala but Whiteside had a huge frame on a skinny body. Muscala has a small frame like Payne. Look at Whiteside then and Whiteside now: Hassan was 227 at 21 in this pic. Mike was 230 in college. 

Then:

HassanWhiteside02.jpg

Now: 

10724987_356758324449286_1350125113_n.jp

Whiteside is 270 at 25 and Mike is close to 233 at 23.  

• Premium Member

My take is that I subscribe to the mantra that in the NBA more often than not you really don't know what you've got until a player is 25. And while most every player has his deficits, you don't know how that player might be able to compensate for deficits.

Have I expected Moose to become a starter?

Expected is far too strong a word.

I've hoped, and will continue to hope for the foreseeable future, that he could be one of those developmental projects who can add immediate value in a specific area, and over time can raise his game in the deficit areas at least adequate enough to justify more time on the court.

That immediate value I've hoped to see blossom is rebounding. And indeed, he's given reason for some optimism for that. He's not going to be a classic rim protector, but he can block some shots. He's also a capable shooter, and on occasion can even evoke a "wow, that was nice" with some move. The other thing he has going for him, as mentioned already, is his hoops IQ. Referencing his measurables coming out of college, there was a lot of conjecture that he would be drafted late first round.

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I'm not ruling anything out. I think there's a place for him. Check back about this time next year for a firmer opinion on what his ceiling is.

• Like 4

Speculation is all we pretty much have to go on.  Based solely on what I saw out of him last night, I think it's safe to say he's going to have to show quite a bit more to hold onto a place in the NBA.  I like his hustle but I saw a guy who looked a bit, well, stiff and out of sync.  Again, this is just based on last night.  I'm not etching anything in stone.  I hope he was just trying to hard but he reminded me a little of how Marvin Williams looked at times for us when he tried to do too much....awkward and out of sync with the game flow.