• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DeMarre Carroll

saturn1975

• Moderators

He's our Ben Wallace just in a different way.   Ferry and Bud thought he was so important to our success that they realized we couldn't thrive with him off the court.  So they went out and got Thabo.   Thabo is an elite defender himself but isn't starting above Demarre.

Timely post because wasn't it Demarre who missed the London game last year against the Nets and we got killed.   That's when it hit home for a lot of folks how important he is.

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 2

DMC is the junkyard dog. To me, he is vital for this team's success. Unless we can land Khawi Leonard, he is our most important free agent to resign. 

Horford is the superstar. 

Korver is the offensive anchor. 

DMC is the player who we must have. 

Sap is the all around star tweener. 

Teague is the star with the highlights. Young Kevin Johnson. 

DMC is underrated and will get underrated in free agency due to his flaws but for us, he's extremely valuable. 

• Like 3

The ESPN piece had all five starters. DeMarre is so hungry, he probably doesn't mind he gets forgotten by the media sometimes. Everyone else in the locker room is quick to acknowledge him as Defensive Captain, he cares about that much more.

I love hearing him talk. After you get a laugh at some poor grammar and thick Alabama dialect, he sounds exactly like a college coach who always downplays offense and goes heavy on the defensive speak. All the guys' last line is something about "how good the group is" then I assume they go to the nearest facility to watch film and start shooting until they fall asleep and start over again.

Edited by benhillboy

DMC is the junkyard dog. To me, he is vital for this team's success. Unless we can land Khawi Leonard, he is our most important free agent to resign.

Horford is the superstar.

Korver is the offensive anchor.

DMC is the player who we must have.

Sap is the all around star tweener.

Teague is the star with the highlights. Young Kevin Johnson.

DMC is underrated and will get underrated in free agency due to his flaws but for us, he's extremely valuable.

Teague-Pacer

Kyle-Spacer

DMC-Glue

Sap-Mercenary

Al-Anchor

Dennis-Weapon X

Thabo-Stopper

Pero-Muscle

Baze-PED

Shelvin and Mike-Insurance

Elton-Yoda

Moose/Jenkins/Payne-Seeds/Goggles

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

• Moderators

It's really because Demarre came out of nowhere.  None of the fans knew who Demarre Carroll was.  No one saw this type of production and importance when we signed Demarre to the tune of 2 yrs/$5 mil per.  Before the Hawks, he struggled to get off the bench and barely averaged 10 minutes per game over his career.  He was purely an effort guy barely eligible to be called the hobo man's Kenneth Faried.  Then Ferry signs him and his stats have doubled across the board.  His style of play is contagious too as everybody seems to have picked up their defensive intensity and effort.  He has excellent hands, has improved his shooting exponentially, and has been the glue of this team.  He has earned being called the African-American Kyle Korver.  There is no reason (other than Durant in 2016) that the Hawks should not resign Demarre for anything less than $5 mil/yr.

Ferry and Bud thought he was so important to our success that they realized we couldn't thrive with him off the court.  So they went out and got Thabo.   Thabo is an elite defender himself but isn't starting above Demarre.

Not so fast. Lets remember that we chased after Luol Deng last year to be a starter at Carroll's spot. Thabo was Plan B after Deng spurned us for Miami. While I love me some DMC, and I'm sure Bud and Ferry do as well, I'm still not sold that as of this past offseason they viewed him as a longterm starting option. That has probably changed due to his play this year, but lets not forget the past so quickly.

I still think Millsap is our most important free agent to sign, by far. I just hope we don't have to break the bank for him.

My fear for Carroll is that after Draymond Green lands a max or near-max contract for being a better version of Carroll, it will drastically inflate the value of Carroll's next contract. Let's hope not because I would hate to lose him.

DMC isn't getting a huge contract. I think he'll get a good offer, especially how he is a perfect piece in this puzzle. Especially with our success so far. And theme seem to having fun... And making millions at the same time... DMC is flourishing because the system suits his game... He plays hard. Bud is giving him every opportunity to take advantage.

DMC isn't getting a huge contract. I think he'll get a good offer, especially how he is a perfect piece in this puzzle. Especially with our success so far. And theme seem to having fun... And making millions at the same time... DMC is flourishing because the system suits his game... He plays hard. Bud is giving him every opportunity to take advantage.

Totally agree. He'd also do great for Spurs

DMC will get around MLE money.

I think he's thriving in this system.

On another team he'll be relegated to playing defense and standing at the 3 pt line waiting for the ball after the 'star' dribbles fr 22 seconds.

What do you say Hawks fans??

I don't know "Saturn"...you have posted once or twice and I have followed this team for many years and posted over eleven thousand times.  What do you really think?  I am not one to welcome a stranger without a pedigree.

Personally I think we p!ssed away our future with BK (and are finally getting back "on keel") and our ownership is borderline at best.  What do you think about that?

Edited by DJlaysitup

He's our Bruce Bowen. People just haven't recognized it yet. That will happen in the playoffs.

I think he's much better. A much more fluid all-around player, but I kinda hate Bruce Bowen too so I'm biased. Although I cringe sometimes when DeMarre's handling, he doesn't get into trouble. I think his best asset is how he runs the floor end to end.