• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Worried about Pero

CBAreject

• Moderators

Still true.

And I might as well add in that if you think a player has to make shots in order for them to be a net positive, then you probably never take your eye off the basketball during a game. You miss well over half the action and likely have no idea how this team plays basketball. Different players are asked to do different things for a team.

But this thread is fun, it's a nice way for posters to stand up and tell the board how ignorant they are. We've got a couple handful of posters right here who firmly believe they are better at making basketball decisions than Michael Vincent Budenholzer. Good stuff.

Whatever dude.  I don't want to see him take another shot until he starts hitting shots.   I can't believe you still like someone who is not shooting well.  I think anyone who shoots poorly sucks and should be out of the nba.  You know why Bud keeps playing him?......Politics.

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 1

Still true.

And I might as well add in that if you think a player has to make shots in order for them to be a net positive, then you probably never take your eye off the basketball during a game. You miss well over half the action and likely have no idea how this team plays basketball. Different players are asked to do different things for a team.

But this thread is fun, it's a nice way for posters to stand up and tell the board how ignorant they are. We've got a couple handful of posters right here who firmly believe they are better at making basketball decisions than Michael Vincent Budenholzer. Good stuff.

About as well said as possible.

Still true.

So when Pero plays 15-20 minutes and shoots 0-5 from the field, has a few turnovers, commits 2-3 fouls, gets 1-2 rebounds, he's making up for it with good defense and some nice screens?  I will agree that he is a good man defender but he's not making up for the atrocity on the other end.  The way he's been playing over the last month IS detrimental to the team.  

Is there another Center or PF in the NBA shooting 35% from the field?  If he's shooting 30% from 3 and not turning the ball over he does help this team tremendously.  The problem is he is wildly inconsistent.  I don't expect a lot from him on offense but his recent play is hurting this team.  He has been downright awful.

So when Pero plays 15-20 minutes and shoots 0-5 from the field, has a few turnovers, commits 2-3 fouls, gets 1-2 rebounds, he's making up for it with good defense and some nice screens?  I will agree that he is a good man defender but he's not making up for the atrocity on the other end.  The way he's been playing over the last month IS detrimental to the team.  

Is there another Center or PF in the NBA shooting 35% from the field?  If he's shooting 30% from 3 and not turning the ball over he does help this team tremendously.  The problem is he is wildly inconsistent.  I don't expect a lot from him on offense but his recent play is hurting this team.  He has been downright awful.

But he does set a mean screen doesn't he? It's too bad that nobody else in the NBA can do that!

This guy was in some rundown league overseas before he got here wasn't he? He wouldn't be on any other team in the NBA.

Sorry, but nobody is going to convince me that the Hawks can't find something better than Pero. The Hawks are the only reason this guy is in the NBA. I bet even he knows that he sucks right now.

Bud says: "He will make shots".

Based on what evidence I ask..... Surely not based on most of this year or the playoffs last year.

The evidence does not back up what Bud says.

• Moderators

His play over the last month has been at its worst.  That said, the team still functions well when he is on the court so that is how I look at it.  He may be blowing with his shooting, etc. but the screens and positional defense keep the machine running for the most part and there is value in that.  And there are lots of big men in the league who can't do that.

• Moderators

But he does set a mean screen doesn't he? It's too bad that nobody else in the NBA can do that!

This guy was in some rundown league overseas before he got here wasn't he? He wouldn't be on any other team in the NBA.

Sorry, but nobody is going to convince me that the Hawks can't find something better than Pero. The Hawks are the only reason this guy is in the NBA. I bet even he knows that he sucks right now.

Bud says: "He will make shots".

Based on what evidence I ask..... Surely not based on most of this year or the playoffs last year.

The evidence does not back up what Bud says.

That just isn't right.   

Here are his month by month 3 point percentage.

November  .318

December  .316

January      .432

February     injured

March         .300

April            .273

November   .273

December   .313

January       .326

February      .071   (1-14)

So you're going to say that one playoff series and 13 misses in february in more evidence of the way he shoots that 8 months of shooting over 30%.   That is just straight up hating on our friggin BACKUP CENTER.   There are about 5 centers in the whole league who shoot over 30%.    

• Like 1

Well, Adreian Payne is shooting 25%.

This is very funny to read from someone who used to defend the hell out of Josh Smith when you were more active on the board.

Sure I did.  He was also in his early twenties (lot of potential) and a borderline all-star.  In his last few years I was all for trading or letting him go.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with Pero's recent play.

• Like 1

His play over the last month has been at its worst.  That said, the team still functions well when he is on the court so that is how I look at it.  He may be blowing with his shooting, etc. but the screens and positional defense keep the machine running for the most part and there is value in that.  And there are lots of big men in the league who can't do that.

I think it has more to do with the fact that we have a good bench in general.  Schröder is one of the best backup PG's in the NBA.  His per36 numbers are nearly identical to Teague's who is an all-star.  

But again, I will agree that he plays good man defense and he's pretty good without the ball.  But it's not irreplaceable and the fact that he's been turning the ball over, not rebounding and bricking shots is not helping.

I think it has more to do with the fact that we have a good bench in general.  Schröder is one of the best backup PG's in the NBA.  His per36 numbers are nearly identical to Teague's who is an all-star.  

But again, I will agree that he plays good man defense and he's pretty good without the ball.  But it's not irreplaceable and the fact that he's been turning the ball over, not rebounding and bricking shots is not helping.

But is it replaceable for the $1,250,000 salary he makes this season? That is a big factor people don't acknowledge - very low salary for the minutes he provides.

But is it replaceable for the $1,250,000 salary he makes this season? That is a big factor people don't acknowledge - very low salary for the minutes he provides.

Seriously?  He's averaging 5 and 3 and shooting 35% from the field.  Sure he's a solid defender but you guys are acting like he's a prime Bill Russell.  He's easily replaceable.  

Seriously?  He's averaging 5 and 3 and shooting 35% from the field.  Sure he's a solid defender but you guys are acting like he's a prime Bill Russell.  He's easily replaceable.  

Acting like he's a prime Bill Russell? You're not much for analogies are you? Sure, saying a backup C that is making a very small salary in the NBA is the same thing as comparing him to Bill Russell, in some universe....I guess...question.gif

I think the consensus isn't that you have to make shots to get playing time.  It's that when you get to become so much of a liability on the offensive end it negates your defense.

If you're holding your opponents to 38% shooting but you're shooting 23% over your past 10 games how much good are you really doing - even with your good screens and movement on offense and defense?  There's got to be a limit when you say it's not worth what he's giving us.

• Like 3

Acting like he's a prime Bill Russell? You're not much for analogies are you? Sure, saying a backup C that is making a very small salary in the NBA is the same thing as comparing him to Bill Russell, in some universe....I guess...question.gif

I keep hearing this rhetoric of how he's positively impacting the game, he's helping in ways that aren't seen on the stat sheet.  If he's playing this poorly on offense, yet still impacting the game in a positive way as you claim, than he MUST be playing some Russell like defense.  I'm not seeing it.

If he can at least hit the open jumper than I like him as our backup center for 15 minutes.  The problem is, he has these unbelievable cold streaks (by anyone's standards) where he will miss 20 shots in a row.  We can't have that in the playoffs.

Watching Brand last night tells me he is the better option.  We have not seen Pero battle for rebounds or finish inside like that.  He just doesn't have the ability.