• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Worried about Pero

CBAreject

• Moderators

Pero does a lot of the harder to recognize things to help us stay competitive. And when that shot is falling we're almost unbeatable. I would love to upgrade that position, but that's a lot easier said than done.

And if his position is stretch-5 then you're looking at Bosh, Bonner, Olynek, or Diaw to upgrade it.   Even at his season low 30% from 3 those are the only guys shooting better at the 5.

Funny how when Pero isn't shooting well everyone says that his entire game sucks and then when he's shooting well his whole game gets better.   

• Moderators

What amazes me is the amount of attention Pero still gets on offense when he has the ball. He still manages to draw the bigs out of the lane and they tend to drape him.

It really makes me wonder if other teams scout him at all because at this point you could play completely off him and double someone else and there is still probably a sub-50 percent chance he makes something.

This is a really good post.  I wonder the same thing myself.  Pero is shooting under 30% from 3pt range.  Josh used to get left wide open and he shot almost that exact same percentage his last 3 seasons in Atlanta.  Why aren't players backing off of him in the same way?  I'm not sure I get it but I hope it continues.

Now for Pero as a player, he does a lot of things well (other than score) and has the strength and mass we need.  The defense and picks people mention are a big part of that and, consequently, he fits an important role on this team.  I am just hoping he gets the "missing the broad side of the barn" phase out before the playoffs this year!

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2

This is a really good post. I wonder the same thing myself. Pero is shooting under 30% from 3pt range. Josh used to get left wide open and he shot almost that exact same percentage his last 3 seasons in Atlanta. Why aren't players backing off of him in the same way? I'm not sure I get it but I hope it continues.

Now for Pero as a player, he does a lot of things well (other than score) and has the strength and mass we need. The defense and picks people mention are a big part of that and, consequently, he fits an important role on this team. I am just hoping he gets the "missing the broad side of the barn" phase out before the playoffs this year!

I've said it twice before, when teams start giving Pero the Josh Treatment, I'll worry. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Im more concerned that we only have a 3 big rotation. And that includes Millsap. Mike Scott doesn't really count because he's really just a big SF.

I mean damn. No wonder AL is getting tired. He and Antić are the only guys banging every night. At least work in Moose or brand A LITTLE.

• Moderators

I've said it twice before, when teams start giving Pero the Josh Treatment, I'll worry.

You and me both.  It just seems like such a basic strategic point for opposing coaches that I am not sure why we haven't seen it yet.

• Like 1

You and me both. It just seems like such a basic strategic point for opposing coaches that I am not sure why we haven't seen it yet.

They still think Pero will make the shot, lol.

Hitting 3's is a bonus. On a regular basis he has one of the best +/-'s on the team and I believe someone said he's top 10 in the league. He does so may things that don't show up in the box score it's not even funny.

This

Payne will take over for Pero next season. Mark it.

I agree he will steal a lot of his minutes.

• Moderators

Payne will take over for Pero next season.  Mark it.

Payne should be able to step in and upgrade the shooting on day 1.  The real question for me is whether he can body up the guys who are too big for Horford (like Pero) and set mean screens (like Pero).  If he can't do that, I would guess he won't "take over" and that Pero or someone like him will still be a part of the rotation even if Payne blossoms.

Payne should be able to step in and upgrade the shooting on day 1.  The real question for me is whether he can body up the guys who are too big for Horford (like Pero) and set mean screens (like Pero).  If he can't do that, I would guess he won't "take over" and that Pero or someone like him will still be a part of the rotation even if Payne blossoms.

And... He's gone.

• Like 2

You and me both.  It just seems like such a basic strategic point for opposing coaches that I am not sure why we haven't seen it yet.

It will happen in the playoffs if he's still shooting like crap.  In a 7 game series teams are able to gameplan much more effectively.  In an 82 game season on the 2nd night of a back to back, not so much.

• Moderators

It will happen in the playoffs if he's still shooting like crap.  In a 7 game series teams are able to gameplan much more effectively.  In an 82 game season on the 2nd night of a back to back, not so much.

Eh...I hope we don't have to find out.  Indiana never started leaving him open last year despite Pero's epic brickfest.  This just doesn't strike me as a deep game-planning move.  Everyone figured out with Josh to leave him open.  Not sure why they aren't doing the same with Pero.  

Eh...I hope we don't have to find out.  Indiana never started leaving him open last year despite Pero's epic brickfest.  This just doesn't strike me as a deep game-planning move.  Everyone figured out with Josh to leave him open.  Not sure why they aren't doing the same with Pero.  

That's what really makes me question the scouting and game planning that goes on by other teams.  I think Josh Smith was a big enough name and had enough of a reputation over the years that a lot of teams just played off of him.

Pero is only in his second season and far removed as a starter.  My only guess is that other teams aren't focusing much outside of the starting 5 and the first guy or two off the bench to figure out their plan against us.

• Moderators

Geez this is a crazy thread.  Did anyone think that they don't leave him wide open because they DO scout him.   

Left corner 3: 2 for 9

Right corner 3: 0 for 14

All other 3s: 33-94 35%  (including his dismal february so far)

I didn't even take the time to look up how many of these 3s were shot clock heaves but a few at least.  I'm not sagging off a guy shooting 35%.   I might leave him wide open in the corner.   

Geez this is a crazy thread.  Did anyone think that they don't leave him wide open because they DO scout him.   

Left corner 3: 2 for 9

Right corner 3: 0 for 14

All other 3s: 33-94 35%  (including his dismal february so far)

I didn't even take the time to look up how many of these 3s were shot clock heaves but a few at least.  I'm not sagging off a guy shooting 35%.   I might leave him wide open in the corner.   

Odd given that the corner 3s are typically easier to hit.  Pero just loves doing things the hard way.