• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Thabo could be out a significant amount of time [6-8 weeks]

Admin

What about Bazemore's offense do you like? His ugly 3pt stroke? I know he's shot well in limited time but I don't trust him to make a clutch shot. His awful FT shooting? His complete lack of a mid-range game?

No, the time is right now to go out and get a guy like T. Prince to pick up the slack so that we aren't rushing DMC and Thabo back from injury.

What about Bazemore's offense do you like? His ugly 3pt stroke? I know he's shot well in limited time but I don't trust him to make a clutch shot. His awful FT shooting? His complete lack of a mid-range game?

No, the time is right now to go out and get a guy like T. Prince to pick up the slack so that we aren't rushing DMC and Thabo back from injury.

Well, first off that he's shooting 42% from 3 this year. Thabo was just starting to get his stroke back in January, where he shot his highest per month % at 40. Not really sure why you would be bemoaning the lack of trust in Baze making a clutch shot when we surely would never rely on Thabo to do so? Especially when Thabo is actually shooting worse overall, even in his best month. We have plenty of other guys to hit clutch shots.

I will grant you that Baze definitely needs to work on his FT's. It's a huge negative. But it's not like he's going to be going to the line 10 times a night. Since you brought up the mid range game, does Thabo have one? If so, I haven't seen it. These guys are here to 3&D, and Bazemore can give us that while Thabo is healing up.

But what I do like about Baze's offensive game is he can drive to the basket with his superiour athleticism much better than Thabo ever could. He can break the D down and kick out. And I like that he is young and has so much athletic ability that needs more seasoning and experience, which we can now give him for the next 6-8 weeks. And we'll still be in a great position come playoff time because Thabo should be back and fully healthy, along with a Bazemore who has hopefully grown even more with us.

• Like 1

6 games or so until the all-star break. That should be the worst case scenario for DMC. Jenkins has played well the past two games I think the Hawks are equipped to handle this. They might lose a game or two between now and then but most GREAT teams do lose every once in a while. I don't see the need to push the trade button here.

Well, first off that he's shooting 42% from 3 this year. Thabo was just starting to get his stroke back in January, where he shot his highest per month % at 40. Not really sure why you would be bemoaning the lack of trust in Baze making a clutch shot when we surely would never rely on Thabo to do so? Especially when Thabo is actually shooting worse overall, even in his best month. We have plenty of other guys to hit clutch shots.

I will grant you that Baze definitely needs to work on his FT's. It's a huge negative. But it's not like he's going to be going to the line 10 times a night. Since you brought up the mid range game, does Thabo have one? If so, I haven't seen it. These guys are here to 3&D, and Bazemore can give us that while Thabo is healing up.

But what I do like about Baze's offensive game is he can drive to the basket with his superiour athleticism much better than Thabo ever could. He can break the D down and kick out. And I like that he is young and has so much athletic ability that needs more seasoning and experience, which we can now give him for the next 6-8 weeks. And we'll still be in a great position come playoff time because Thabo should be back and fully healthy, along with a Bazemore who has hopefully grown even more with us.

Baze is averaging 1 three point attempt per game so his shooting % from 3 doesn't mean a whole lot right now. It may be that with increased attempts that he can continue to shoot that well but I wouldn't expect it. He shot 27% with GS and 35% with the Lakers last year from 3 and that's about what I expect.

Do I expect Thabo to take and make clutch shots? Yeah I do because he's got a ton of big game experience and he's had multiple 40% 3pt seasons playing big minutes for contenders. Without looking up the stats I'd guess that Thabo is a better shooter from just about anywhere because he has a natural and quicker motion vs the catapult motion Baze has.

Now I do like Baze a lot but I'm not willing to bet our season him playing huge minutes, are you? I don't automatically expect that Thabo and/or DMC will continue to be healthy as both have had injury issues in their careers and as such I would try and get a guy like Prince.

Now I do like Baze a lot but I'm not willing to bet our season him playing huge minutes, are you?

Yes, I am. But I also think you're getting a bit carried away with the "betting our season" thing. We have a huge lead in the standings, and DMC is day-to-day which means he should probably be back for Monday's game in N.O. 

But here is a big point: it doesn't really matter what we think about making a trade or not. It only matters what Bud thinks since it's his move to make or not make, right? He's earned my trust to believe in whatever decision he makes. How about you?

• Like 1

Yes, I am. But I also think you're getting a bit carried away with the "betting our season" thing. We have a huge lead in the standings, and DMC is day-to-day which means he should probably be back for Monday's game in N.O.

But here is a big point: it doesn't really matter what we think about making a trade or not. It only matters what Bud thinks since it's his move to make or not make, right? He's earned my trust to believe in whatever decision he makes. How about you?

He has an Achilles injury and you never know with those. He could be close to tearing it. It could linger all season. We struggled big time without him last year. Thabo has chronic injuries it seems and honestly I dont want to bet on either remaining healthy throughout the playoffs. Now I wouldn't give up the farm for Prince or the like but we need a 3 and D type and Jenkins will very likely be gone next year anyway so why not use him as part of a trade for someone?

Of course it doesn't matter what we think but that's the point of the site is to have discussion about things like this. We have a couple weeks before the deadline and I personally hope we make a move to sure up the bench.

I hate seeing Thabo go down, but if he can get healthy by the start of April (meaning he'll have time to get ready for the playoffs) then this could ultimately improve our team. We'll see what Bazemore and Jenkins do with the extra playing time. 

• Premium Member

I'm worried that one of the best strengths of our team is now the biggest liability. The effect DMC and Thabo were having at the perimeter directly affects our interior defense as well. We have a small front court and this only makes it tougher. I'm with Dolf, if Jenkins and Blazemore look like they are overmatched then a trade for a perimeter defender should be considered.

I trust the team to make that decision.

• Like 2

I hate to make an injury a good thing but seeing what Baze and JJ can do will really be awesome come playoff time.  Hell guys like Payned and Moose getting minutes could be huge even if its just 5 a game.  Thabo isn't as valuable as DC it just sucks he gets injured right when he starts hitting his shot and loving this team

Count me in the minority of those who don't see this silver lining with Thabo out. Jenkins' shot consistency isn't in the same stratosphere with Thabo's nightly defensive effort and impact.

My lifeline is tied to our league leading points allowed stat, it means more to me than the record. Its surely going to increase in his absence. Our points scored might dip too becuase we depend so much on points off turnovers.

A little adversity may be good for this team I guess, I can live with it when we've been pretty healthy and many other good teams have been bitten nastily in the starting lineup. Anytime you hear achilles you panic.

Bud's point allowed threshold in the playoffs might be around 90, impossible to win a 'ship without him completing the perimeter Square of Death with Junk, Dennis, and Baze. I'm sure the staff will use all caution and still keep him involved on the sideline till he returns.

It's a piece of cake for Bud to compensate in other areas to get a few wins, but every player in the squad has a specialized role set, even Brand can't be replaced. I'm a little down right now, I love how Thabo bounced back from his injuries last year so this is tough. Beat the Brow tonight and I'll live.

Edited by benhillboy

Count me in the minority of those who don't see this silver lining with Thabo out. Jenkins' shot consistency isn't in the same stratosphere with Thabo's nightly defensive effort and impact.

My lifeline is tied to our league leading points allowed stat, it means more to me than the record. Its surely going to increase in his absence. Our points scored might dip too becuase we depend so much on points off turnovers.

A little adversity may be good for this team I guess, I can live with it when we've been pretty healthy and many other good teams have been bitten nastily in the starting lineup. Anytime you hear achilles you panic.

Bud's point allowed threshold in the playoffs might be around 90, impossible to win a 'ship without him completing the perimeter Square of Death with Junk, Dennis, and Baze. I'm sure the staff will use all caution and still keep him involved on the sideline till he returns.

It's a piece of cake for Bud to compensate in other areas to get a few wins, but every player in the squad has a specialized role set, even Brand can't be replaced. I'm a little down right now, I love how Thabo bounced back from his injuries last year so this is tough. Beat the Brow tonight and I'll live.

Tomorrow night Benny. Don't want you getting amped up when there's no game cept the Super Bowl. 

Tomorrow night Benny. Don't want you getting amped up when there's no game cept the Super Bowl.

Dammit man. You know I don't give a damn about Brady either, I was looking forward to tuning out. Do you see these hot garbage can games in the afternoon? Geez.

Hopefully the Seahawks treat The Golden Boy like your Dolphins and "get him off his spot" so the "experts" say (hit him hard once and he folds up is what they mean but "Oh my God don't criticize the Golden Boy!").

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Dammit man. You know I don't give a damn about Brady either, I was looking forward to tuning out. Do you see these hot garbage can games in the afternoon? Geez.

I thought you might be wearing your Brady jersey tonight in celebration of his next crushing loss. #gohawksofallkinds

I thought you might be wearing your Brady jersey tonight in celebration of his next crushing loss. #gohawksofallkinds

Lol I'm afraid that maybe some people here are fans of the Hawk (the actual bird)...:-| and don't know jack squat about the predator that's preying on the other 29 NBA teams this year.

I'm worried that one of the best strengths of our team is now the biggest liability. The effect DMC and Thabo were having at the perimeter directly affects our interior defense as well. We have a small front court and this only makes it tougher. I'm with Dolf, if Jenkins and Blazemore look like they are overmatched then a trade for a perimeter defender should be considered....

Yep - those are pretty much my thoughts too.  One thing though, with all the success we have been having with crisp passing, ball movement, D-and-Three...you have to figure that the other EC "contenders" are looking for the same thing.  I think we will see multiple moves around the trade deadline in the Eastern Conference.

One big positive - we still have a healthy Coach Bud :-)

I think too many fans are suffering from a longterm case of Atlanta Fan Syndrome™ (henceforth known as AFS).

Symptoms include waiting for the other shoe to drop in the midst of good times; expecting the worse at any moment; not allowing oneself to enjoy good times for fear that the boogeyman is right around the corner; and a general sense of impending doom at all times.

The only known cure for AFS is an Atlanta franchise championship victory.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

This is why we have the depth we do. Stay cautious with Carroll and Thabo, let them take as long as they need to rest up. This opens up time for Bazemore, Jenkins, Scott, Mack and perhaps Moose or Payne (by way of Scott manning some 3) to pick up some slack. We'll lose a game or two probably but it'll be fine.

• Moderators

What sucks is that we can't sign someone to fill his spot. We may have to make a trade to keep us afloat especially not knowing how long DMC will be on the shelf.

We can sign anyone unless you think we are holding on to Jenkins in the face of this.  Jenkins will either enter the rotation or be cut for someone who can add value.  It is now or never for our current JJ.

Edited by AHF