• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What was the problem with Payne?

Diesel

Payne was shooting like 33% with the t-wolves before this game, and if you watch the game tonight, he looks like a great athlete that has limited knowledge of the playbook- that just so happened- to have some good hustle plays, and one sick dunk.  Payne is already like 50 years old with low bbiq, I think the Hawks made the right move....besides at this point if Coach Bud traded Millsap for a statue of Tyler Perry to accompany Nique, I'd believe it was the right move for the team moving forward.

He's freaking 24. That's "50" now in NBA years?

After reading the SI artile on the team and Teague and he says:

“We’ve basically got two plays—strong and weak,” Teague explains. “That gets us into positions, but from there, we all have to make split-second decisions on what we do out of it.

Payne might have had difficulty with this, could he have gotten better at it, was it too soon to give up on him - maybe.

But maybe Bud just saw that it was taking him too long to get.

• Moderators

After reading the SI artile on the team and Teague and he says:

“We’ve basically got two plays—strong and weak,” Teague explains. “That gets us into positions, but from there, we all have to make split-second decisions on what we do out of it.

Payne might have had difficulty with this, could he have gotten better at it, was it too soon to give up on him - maybe.

But maybe Bud just saw that it was taking him too long to get.

I wasn't sweating it when we traded him but even if he wasn't a good fit for us, if he is actually a capable nba big then i'm not sure we got a good return for him.   That first could easily end up being a second rounder.   There again that's a big if at this point since he's playing on a lottery team.   

I wasn't sweating it when we traded him but even if he wasn't a good fit for us, if he is actually a capable nba big then i'm not sure we got a good return for him.   That first could easily end up being a second rounder.   There again that's a big if at this point since he's playing on a lottery team.   

We won't know the value until we use the pick to get a player or use it in a trade.

We won't know the value until we use the pick to get a player or use it in a trade.

We may never even see the pick .It's lottery protected , and i don't see them making the playoffs anytime soon.We should dump that pick in a trade this summer.

Edited by pimp

I think the trade was made in an effort to free us up to do another deal. The other deal didn't happen for whatever reason and we are just moving on.

Similar to trading Bebe and Lou for cap space last offseason. We had to make the trade to go after Gasol, Deng, and others. Put yourself in position to make offers. Everyone is reading too much into the Payne trade.

People make every draft pick into a future star or bust. I see us bringing almost our whole roster back, add a lottery pick and Tavares and there is not much room for Payne. Move him for an asset while you can.

• Like 1

I think the trade was made in an effort to free us up to do another deal. The other deal didn't happen for whatever reason and we are just moving on.

Similar to trading Bebe and Lou for cap space last offseason. We had to make the trade to go after Gasol, Deng, and others. Put yourself in position to make offers. Everyone is reading too much into the Payne trade.

People make every draft pick into a future star or bust. I see us bringing almost our whole roster back, add a lottery pick and Tavares and there is not much room for Payne. Move him for an asset while you can.

We still have a few years to make a deal and use that pick from the Wolves. I highly doubt it's ever going to materialize as a pick for the Hawks. 

We still have a few years to make a deal and use that pick from the Wolves. I highly doubt it's ever going to materialize as a pick for the Hawks.

Maybe not but that's what we all said about the Nets pick not too long ago. I actually could see the Wolves making the playoffs in a couple of years. They are young, talented, and seemingly dedicated to winning.

They handed him over to the Wolves.  They will never see a pick and if they do it will be a wasted one at that.  To just toss a player away months into the league is stupid.  I hope he comes back here next season and dominates us with the Wolves.  Shove it in Bud's face.  

• Premium Member

I'll do a 180 on this and trust Bud.   Sure Payne looks good but we don't know whole story.  All of this may have come down to Payne not adjusting well the intangibles. I'm not referring to setting screens like our boy Pero, but the subtle nuances Bud seems to be big on.  I am okay with that. I have great respect for the parts of sports not associated with athletic ability.

• Like 1

They handed him over to the Wolves.  They will never see a pick and if they do it will be a wasted one at that.  To just toss a player away months into the league is stupid.  I hope he comes back here next season and dominates us with the Wolves.  Shove it in Bud's face.  

Bud gave em Payne to ensure that they make the playoffs within two years because that was the only way to get this firstrounder from them crazy.gif diablo.gif spiteful.gif

Every year is Minny's year to finally make the playoffs.  Let hope it happens so we can still get that 1st round pick. They just can't seem to stay healthy.  We will need a 'Minnesota Timberwolves lottery pick watch' thread for next season.

Before the season started @Wretch and I had a bet that Minny would be better than the Hawks in 3 years after they traded for Wiggins and the Hawks 'only' signed Thabo and Baze blum3.gif .     So far:

JayBirdHawk - 1

Wretch - 0

• Premium Member

Every year is Minny's year to finally make the playoffs.  Let hope it happens so we can still get that 1st round pick. They just can't seem to stay healthy.  We will need a 'Minnesota Timberwolves lottery pick watch' thread for next season.

Before the season started @Wretch and I had a bet that Minny would be better than the Hawks in 3 years after they traded for Wiggins and the Hawks 'only' signed Thabo and Baze blum3.gif .     So far:

JayBirdHawk - 1

Wretch - 0

2668975758_ff9a8944c7.jpg