• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud loves Antics and now this guy?

Peoriabird

• Premium Member
Hawks to sign Daye to multi-year deal
1:56 p.m. Friday, April 3, 2015 | Filed in: Hawks

The Hawks will sign Austin Daye to a multi-year contract, according to a serveral people familiar with the situation.

Daye’s second 10-day contract expires Friday. The Hawks had to decide whether to sign the forward or cut ties with him, according to league rules. He will be signed for the remainder of this season plus next season.

The announcement of the signing will come Saturday, following the expiration of the 10-day contract. The Hawks host the Nets Saturday night.

“Austin has done really well and we feel good about having him with us,” Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said following practice Friday afternoon. “We’ll have to make a decision. I would say he’s in a very good place.”

Daye, 6-foot-11, has appeared in five games with the Hawks. He is averaging 3.0 points and 1.4 rebounds in 6.6 minutes. He also appeared in 26 games with the Spurs earlier this season.

Please come back soon DF

• Like 1

I feel like I should wait until tomorrow to post in this thread. This board is too smart to let such a dumb post last without tearing it to shreds.

• Premium Member

Hawks ink Austin Daye to two-year deal

By hawksfanatic

@atlhawksfanatic on Apr 3, 2015, 3:21p +

usa-today-8482894.0.jpg
Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

The Hawks have essentially signed Austin Daye to a contract for the rest of the season and a training camp invite for 2015-2016.

Tweet (3) Share

Per Chris Vivlamore of the AJC, Austin Daye will sign to a two-year deal with the Hawks after his current 10-day contract ends tomorrow:

Daye is currently on his second 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks. Per league rules, a team can only sign a player to, at most, two 10-day contracts. With that, the Hawks were left with the option of signing Austin to a contract for the rest of this year (and potentially beyond) or not signing Austin. They chose the former.

An important detail is whether or not the second year is guaranteed, and it is not.

This is not the first time that the Hawks have implemented a strategy of signing a player from the NBDL to two 10-day contracts and then to a two-year contract. This happened in 2013 with Shelvin Mack, who later inked a somewhat lucrative multi-year contract.

So why would the Hawks sign Austin to a two-year contract instead of simply signing Austin Daye to a rest-of-season contract and then extending him a training camp invite in the offseason? Well, it is all because they do not want Austin Daye to potentially have the right to veto a trade next season.

If Austin Daye were to sign a one-year contract with the Hawks this offseason, then at the end of that contract, the Hawks would have Early Bird Rights on him. If that is the case, then Daye would have the right to veto any trade.

Giving Austin Daye the right to veto any trade is a pretty big deal. The Hawks were able to avoid this situation by giving Austin a two-year deal with the second year non-guaranteed. Effectively, this acts as a training camp invite for Austin Daye and provides insurance on the bench for the rest of 2015.

small_peachtreehoops.com.minimal.png

Daye is 6'11"?? I had no idea. He looks much shorter on TV.

Riiiight? He plays like he's 6'7" or 6'8"... I won't pass judgement till next year. He needs an offseason at least.

• Moderators

Hmm. Antić, Daye, Muscala, Taveres. We aren't keeping them all i wouldn't think.

Daye is a SF, Pero will probably get one more season with us, Muscala is a PF, and Tavares will be either our 3rd center or Euro for another year. Brand is odd man out who is expected to retire. Scott is a SF/PF.

Really, this just makes me wonder who we are going to draft. With Thabo's, Korver's, and DMC's age, we will probably draft a wing.

If this is true, I love it. Gives us insurance in case someone overpays DMC this offseason and Daye gives much needed height and slashing ability. Can hit the corner three which stretches the floor and is still young. I trust Bud.

People need to read more closely.  (particularly the last line)

Effectively, this acts as a training camp invite for Austin Daye and provides insurance on the bench for the rest of 2015

Daye's likelihood of being on the team next year hasn't changed from yesterday to today.  They can still cut him without a second thought if something better comes along.

Daye is a SF, Pero will probably get one more season with us, Muscala is a PF, and Tavares will be either our 3rd center or Euro for another year. Brand is odd man out who is expected to retire. Scott is a SF/PF.

Really, this just makes me wonder who we are going to draft. With Thabo's, Korver's, and DMC's age, we will probably draft a wing.

If this is true, I love it. Gives us insurance in case someone overpays DMC this offseason and Daye gives much needed height and slashing ability. Can hit the corner three which stretches the floor and is still young. I trust Bud.

Daye cannot play SF in this league. He is a PF or C in wacky lineups (how SA used him).

YEAH!

Daye has 2 - count them - 2 ten day contracts and no one panics.

Now, Hawks sign him for the remainder of the season which is

how many games?

Also, he gets a contract for the future, none of which is guaranteed

but will cost any other team who tries to get him because he's ours.

And the problem with this is ? ? ?

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1