• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trading Teague?

Afro

JaybirdHawk...Are our fans this unsophisticated or what are people seeing when they watch the Hawks??

Lol, I don't know man, they see what they want to see I suppose.

While I feel Dennis can handle starting at PG now, Teague has now probably the best contract in the NBA on a non rookie scale. An All Star PG is now making less than our slightly better than scrub back up center.

Unless we get something that is a huge step up trading Teague would be insanity.

Hahaaaa, I crack up every time I read where you've written this throughout the day! And that's a lot, thanks for the laughs. I'm not being facetious, it's hilarious in a positive way how much it ticks you off. Not to hijack the thread, but just thought you'd like to see how our "slightly better than scrub back up center" owned the Hawks all-star front court, their junkyard dawg, and the guy he's replacing. And I mean OWNED ;)

https://youtu.be/rrZss9yJS4c

• Premium Member

Makes $8m yes. Going nowhere? Not so sure about that. If we want to improve our roster then he's one of the only tradeable pieces that would get us something back. I was expecting us to push our trade of Teague back until next offseason. But the way this free agency period has gone, we may have to do it now and hand the keys to Dennis a year early.

bth Korver and Thabo could be moved and not kill our roster.

bth Korver and Thabo could be moved and not kill our roster.

They could, but honestly, what would be the point? Korver is still the best sharp-shooter in the leage, and only has salaries of $5,746,479 and  $5,239,437 the next two seasons. Even if we were to move him to a backup, that's still a wonderful contract as evidenced by today's free agent bonanza.

And Thabo is only making $4m and $3.85m over the next two years. A very good deal for such a strong defending wing player. And remember, now that DMC is gone, Thabo and Baze are our only two solid defensive wings. And Baze is more suited as a SG, not a SF, unlike Thabo.

And neither one of them have even close to the same trade value that Teague has, right? Nobody is giving up a good young SF for Korver. And definitely not for Thabo.

I'm hopeful BudCox has something up their sleeve that will allow us to keep Teague. But we'll see.

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member

They could, but honestly, what would be the point? Korver is still the best sharp-shooter in the leage, and on with salaries of $5,746,479 and  $5,239,437 the next two seasons. Even if we were to move him to a backup, that's still a wonderful contract as evidenced by today's free agent bonanza.

And Thabo is only making $4m and $3.85m over the next two years. A very good deal for such a strong defending wing player. And remember, now that DMC is gone, Thabo and Baze are our only two solid defensive wings. And Baze is more suited as a SG, not a SF, unlike Thabo.

And neither one of them have even close to the same trade value that Teague has, right? Nobody is giving up a good young SF for Korver. And definitely not for Thabo.

I'm hopeful BudCox has something up their sleeve that will allow us to keep Teague. But we'll see.

if your plan is to replace teague wit dennis   ???????????

if your plan is to replace teague wit dennis   ???????????

Do we have another position on this team that has a young, promising player waiting in the wings for his chance, with a tradeable player in front of him that people would actually want? People seriously need to stop looking at the basketball decision only, and start including the financial portion of the situation.

• Premium Member

Do we have another position on this team that has a young, promising player waiting in the wings for his chance, with a tradeable player in front of him that people would actually want? People seriously need to stop looking at the basketball decision only, and start including the financial portion of the situation.

hes backup material.  He doesnt even run Bud's offense?

• Like 1

You should do the same as well. There is no one in the NBA that will give you more bang for your buck than Teague. Schröder isn't ready as of yet, he still has some more steps to take before he is handed the reigns. I could see Schröder becoming our starting PG after the duration of Teague's contract is up, which will be after the 2016-2017 season.

Teague makes 8 million and hes going nowhere.

After today's signings I can't see how anyone would think dumping Teague would be saving us money.  It would take well over $15 million just to get someone even close to his talent level.  Teague is going nowhere for the next 2 years. 

• Like 2

After today's signings I can't see how anyone would think dumping Teague would be saving us money. It would take well over $15 million just to get someone even close to his talent level. Teague is going nowhere for the next 2 years.

I was so lucky then that I chose Teague's road blue jersey over any player :-)

• Premium Member

Hahaaaa, I crack up every time I read where you've written this throughout the day! And that's a lot, thanks for the laughs. I'm not being facetious, it's hilarious in a positive way how much it ticks you off. Not to hijack the thread, but just thought you'd like to see how our "slightly better than scrub back up center" owned the Hawks all-star front court, their junkyard dawg, and the guy he's replacing. And I mean OWNED wink3.gif

I'm glad something I don't like gave you some joy in life. And I'm not being facetious.

Hahaaaa, I crack up every time I read where you've written this throughout the day! And that's a lot, thanks for the laughs. I'm not being facetious, it's hilarious in a positive way how much it ticks you off. Not to hijack the thread, but just thought you'd like to see how our "slightly better than scrub back up center" owned the Hawks all-star front court, their junkyard dawg, and the guy he's replacing. And I mean OWNED wink3.gif

Take alook at his playoff numbers.

You should do the same as well. There is no one in the NBA that will give you more bang for your buck than Teague. Schröder isn't ready as of yet, he still has some more steps to take before he is handed the reigns. I could see Schröder becoming our starting PG after the duration of Teague's contract is up, which will be after the 2016-2017 season.

OK. Then explain to me how we are first going to get rid of about $3 million of our current salary just to fit Splitter and Millsap on our roster?

And then after you do that, then explain how we are going to add a starting caliber SF with only a $2.8m Room Exception to do that.

Trading Scott will get us under the salary cap, but isn't going to get you a starting SF. We'd be lucky just to get someone to take him off our hands without taking any salary back. Throwing in Schröder would bump us up to about $2m under the cap, and would likely get us a starting quality SF on a rookie contract. But then we're out a much younger, and much more promising PG than we have in Teague.

Trading Korver would be beyond stupid. And also wouldn't get us anything good in return. 

Trading Thabo would be stupid. And also wouldn't get us anything in return.

Trading Mack is possible, but also wouldn't get us anything good in return.

Releasing Daye will free up a small amount of money, and will probably have to happen anyway. But he also doesn't land us a SF.

And we aren't getting rid of Baze for $2m nor Muscala for under $1m.

Teague or Schröder are our only assets that will get us a starting SF in return.

Trading Schröder instead of Teague means we still have to dump Scott's salary and can only take back a player making less than around $2m in return. You can't trade Mack now because he's the backup PG that we have to have.

Like I keep saying, if someone can find a way to address the SF position without having to trade Teague, then I'm ALL FOR IT. I'd much rather be able to keep Teague around and give Schröder some more time to develop. But I just don't see how we improve the SF spot without moving Teague or Schröder, and nobody is giving any alternatives other than "can't trade Teague...for reasons." I've got zero interest in moving Schröder. He's by far the better defender of the two, and just needs more coaching and experience. And he's still under a dirt cheap contract for 2 more years. But even if I were more willing to deal Schröder instead of Teague, doing so still doesn't address problem of being over the salary cap. People seem to keep forgetting that...

BTW - we also still need to find about $500k in the salary cap to try and bring Tavares over. Or we'll need to spend part of our $2.8m Room Exception on a 3rd backup center. Muscala is a backup PF, he's not a center. We don't want to be one Splitter injury away from Muscala being the only backup C on the roster.

Edited by RandomFan

If Bud likes his guys then why exactly is he looking to move Jeffrey?

How does the argument "Hawks need a couple mil so let's shed 8 million" even make any sense?

Has anyone seen the PG market? It's extremely watered down due to the number of quality guards in the league. Greatly temper your expectations on what you should expect in return for anything less than a tier 1 PG.

The Hawks have about 3 other guys in the same tier as DeMarre already on the roster. Moving Jeffrey on a ridiculously cheap contract just to pay more money at a position that the Hawks already decided they aren't going to go crazy paying also makes little sense to me.

Also, if hypothetical injuries are being brought up, do you really want to be one Schröder injury away from having Timothy and Kenneth as the backup PGs?

• Like 1

How does the argument "Hawks need a couple mil so let's shed 8 million" even make any sense?

Because that's not the argument? The argument is we need a couple of mill AND a starting SF. We can agree to disagree if you don't think we need another SF on the roster. But I for one, do. But you're right about one thing, if Bud doesn't think we need a starting SF, then there is no need to make a move other than dumping Scott's salary, hope that gives us enough to bring Tavares over too, and use our $2.8m exception to add the best player we can for that price.

Just consider this as our current options at SF and SG:

We could start Korver and Baze together, with Baze defending the best scoring option. Leaving Hardaway and Thabo to sub in with Thabo on the best scoring option.

Korver and Thabo together with Thabo on the best scoring option. Leaving Hardaway and Baze to sub in with Baze on the top scoring option.

Or swap Korver and Hardaway in each scenario above. We want to have one of Thabo or Baze on the court at all times to play defense. This also probably means we would need some salary cap room to bring Patterson over as a 5th wing player on the bench, unless we spend our exception on another wing player.

We'll see.

Edited by RandomFan