• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks a strong candidate for free agent Wesley Johnson

GameTime

• Admin

I really freaking hope so. This kid could thrive in a real system that relies on ball movement, open assisted 3's and defense. He was a stud at Syracuse and left too early and his coaching and teammates have not been what he's needs to make the move to quality NBA starter since being drafted. I've been praying for us to acquire him the past couple of years and it would make me feel much, much better about our offseason if we were to get him.

i thought u would be happy about this ;)
  • Like 1

Was high on him for the first few months of last season. He and Jordan Hill were the only things worth watching on that Lakers squad. Didn't have a great season overall, but the Lakers were atrocious. I'm not sure how much I can blame him for his season.

I'd be glad to have him aboard as like a 7th or 8th man. I'm still not 100% sold on Thabo as a starter but I don't thing Johnson (or probably anybody else still available at this point) will be a better option for that role.

Someone did a statistical study last season that showed -- based on production, size, and age -- that Johnson was THE average NBA player. So there's that. I do like his athleticism and "potential" in Bud's system. This would be the first non-dumpster fire he's ever been apart of. 

Wesley like Tim has a chance to he a good NBA player but like Tim, hasn't been consistent at all. He's a 3/D guy who isn't consistent. Tim is a very good scorer who fits our system who hasn't been consistent so far. Getting these two to be consistent will be the challenge.

Both are 10th men types until they become more consistent. They aren't Bazemore where he's consistent, just limited but he constantly has improved each year even in LA. Wes has basically been the same player since Minny and Tim regressed from his rookie year.

Both have the potential but they really have to be more consistent. Maybe the system and team fit might be the answer but like Bret said, you really are playing with fire. None of these guys have a legit NBA skill.

Edited by NBASupes

Was high on him for the first few months of last season. He and Jordan Hill were the only things worth watching on that Lakers squad. Didn't have a great season overall, but the Lakers were atrocious. I'm not sure how much I can blame him for his season.

I'd be glad to have him aboard as like a 7th or 8th man. I'm still not 100% sold on Thabo as a starter but I don't thing Johnson (or probably anybody else still available at this point) will be a better option for that role.

Wesley could definitely start for this team. Whoever starts at SF is gonna be spot starter anyways. Just because he starts doesn't mean he has to average 30+ minutes a game. I would prefer Timmy Jr. off the bench considering we need some scoring there. Korver needs to start slow this season judging from all the surgeries he has had to endure this offseason. The more I think about it the more I like Korver and Timmy Jr. off the bench at times with Splitter/Tavares controlling the paint. Their spotty perimeter defense will be hidden because we have an anchor in the paint now.

• Like 1

• Admin

Considering price and assets, I would certainly prefer signing him to the rotation than going after Wilson Chandler who isn't much better, at all, but I'll wait to be told that my comparison is out of context.

chandler is a

More proven commodity but the key is Wes will be cheaper and we keep the roster intact

• Like 2

chandler is a

More proven commodity but the key is Wes will be cheaper and we keep the roster intact

Yea, but he's more proven at being beyond mediocre.  I imagine that Wilcox, much like Ferry, is more concerned with paying for production than paying for a name.  I can't place Chandler in a tier above Wes Johnson or even Dorell Wright to justify the extra cost.