• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott thread

Sothron

• Premium Member

You mention cutting Scott, for a victimless crime, due to a "morality clause" and then you suggest replacing him with Markieff Morris who currently has a felony aggravated assault charge hanging over his head.  Makes a ton of sense.

As I said, Morris is not in play.  However, the crime is not victimless.  The organization suffers due to his crime.   Like it or not, he is a representative of this organization.  Much like Portland was at one time considered the "Jailblazers" what Mike Scott does have ripples on an organization that already has problems bringing fans in and "changing the culture".   If there were a better player out there, I believe he would be moved.

The Hawks need to sit tight and let this play out.  Cutting him before they can void the contract would be crazy.  If he is in jail, he won't be paid.  If they cut him before it is ripe, they will be paying him to do whatever he is doing.  If he turns out to just get a slap on the wrist like a ton of other NBA players when caught with pot, drunk driving, etc. then you can decide what to do next.  Right now there is too much in the air.

I like this plan alot.

All this is interesting but here's what I see.

I see a strong possibility that he can be cut from the Hawks.

IN his contract, I'm sure that there's a morality clause of sometype that gives the team the right to void his current contract.

The real question in this is.. is there anybody out there that's better than Scott?

I tried to think of a way that we could get Markieff Morris but the money won't work. 

So now, the only name that's on my radar.. the dieselputer spits out is a cheap 2 year (2nd year nonguaranteed) spot to Michael Beasley.

There's also Dorrell Wright... Landry Fields...

I would also consider Elton Brand for an A. Coaching job.

Hawk killa

Killa Hawk

Only posting this because it was interesting.  Not really a "fight", more like a shoving match.  It looks worse live than it did when they slowed it down.

Keep an eye on Ivan though.  Hard not to love this dude's loyalty, even if he's a loose cannon and maybe not an NBA level player anymore.

The Hawks need to sit tight and let this play out. Cutting him before they can void the contract would be crazy. If he is in jail, he won't be paid. If they cut him before it is ripe, they will be paying him to do whatever he is doing. If he turns out to just get a slap on the wrist like a ton of other NBA players when caught with pot, drunk driving, etc. then you can decide what to do next. Right now there is too much in the air.

Totally agree that nothing needs to be done at the moment. I have a feeling that this won't be resolved until next offseason, at which time Mike's last year of the deal is a team option. Depending on what happens with his case, his option might not be picked up.

• Premium Member

I hesitate to get involved with any more Scott discussion until we actually get some new news, but just to be clear... not sure if some of the posters to the thread get it that merely by being convicted... even if the penalty is merely probation... we lose Scott according to the CBA, and assuming it comes down at some point this season, Budcox has no new means through which to replace him... ie, if we were going to use that room exception on Papanickadoodledoo or whoever to fill the 15th slot, we'd have to use that to fill Scott's slot instead (or, fill both with the same $2.8m).

• Moderators

If he only gets probation it will be because he pleads to something other than possession or use of a drug of abuse. He can end up pleading to something lesser like possession of marijuana.

• Premium Member

The charge for now, as I understand it, is possession of both mary and molly.

If he's convicted of possession of the molly, as a drug of abuse, he's done for a couple of years.

Of course, as to what will actually go down, all kinds of guesses can be posed. Best-case I can imagine for the sake of his career, little brother comes forward and says big brother was covering for him, judge believes him, and it all goes away.

• Moderators

I'm not sure (and, I.A.N.A.L.) but as it stands I think there's no wiggle room under the CBA for Scott with a nolo contendere plea on the molly (were it allowed in Georgia): even though he's not pleading "guilty", a no-contest plea would still count as "being convicted."

~lw3 

So he counts against the cap whether he is cut now, or convicted and dismissed from the NBA? Good thing we have the exception left if things get weird.

Obviously his potential dismissal would only occur after this season if he maneuvers the legal system as one would suspect. Barring some miraculous outcome for Scott I don't foresee ATL picking up that 2017 option. I wonder if they are willing to pay him $3 mil to just sit this year to avoid legal action from the players association. They want all contracts to be honored no matter what. Don't know of another precedent for narcotics possession under this CBA

He's an idiot. If the Hawks had any class they would get rid of this thug as soon as possible. You would never hear anything like this from San Antonio and if there were something you could bet that player would be done. The Hawks think they are close to the Spurs level? Then act like it and ditch this gangster wanna be.

How's he a thug? lol

• Like 1