• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PeachtreeHoops podcast: Phil Jackson offers Melo for Paul Millsap

NBASupes

Smh. See my post history on Melo and other frauds of this generation this board has had inexplicable love affairs with like Dwight, CP3, and Nash to see their progressive failures and lowered stocks over the years.

Fortunately Bud and Wilcox had a nice healthy laugh at the notion. Phil is truly insane. Deal with your newly-maxed native son socialite basketball savior aka Adreian Dantley 2.0.

Paul grinds hard 82 games. Carmelita shut down his season in January but just had to appear in the AS game. You can't compare a man to a diva nor swap them with sound mind. How long before Dennis punches him in the sack, with good reason?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Well, you what they say; 'scared $$$ don't make any'. But I'm a little torn here. We would have our 'star' player to carry us through down the stretch that we've lacked since the Nique days. But like Jay stated earlier, which version of Melo would we be getting? If it is Team USA Melo who actually played (gasp) defense, hustled, and passed the ball to a teammate for a better shot, then of course. But if it is the 'gotta get mine' version I saw the last two years, then not just no but HELL NO. And didn't he have some beef with THJ over a game last year when Melo wasn't playing hard? But assuming that it somehow happens and Bud pulls some Jedi mind trick, let's look at the starting lineup...

Teague

Korver (assuming he's healthy)

Melo

Horford (well, at least he'd get his wish to play the 4)

Splitter (start praying now for him to be healthy; I have)

On paper, that is as good a starting lineup we've had since they brought in Theus and Moses over a quarter-century ago. But just like that '88-89 team, chemistry and health would be big question marks for me. You'd have not one, not two, but THREE guys with a reputation of going down for long spurts of the season (Melo, Splitter, and Horford) and a fourth coming off injury (Korver). Making a move like this would require some big stones to pull off, especially coming off a season where we mostly proved that the 'group' was a better play than 'hero ball'. But after getting swept by a team who rode 'hero ball' to the Finals with the best 'hero ball' player on the planet, we might have to fight fire with fire.

I don't know. Roll the dice right now? Is it too soon? If Melo comes to play within Bud's scheme and somehow make the rest of us forget that he wanted nothing to do with playing here, then I'd cosign. Otherwise, well...

Now that i see it written out Teague/Korver/Melo/Horford/Splitter I'm much less interested (ok i really wasn't before).  That has iso-Melo written all over it and I can see Korver standing open at the 3 point line while Melo backs his guy down.  

• Admin

How does an elite spot up shooter not fit in our offense?  Melo can score from every spot on the floor and J.R. Smith has been the 2nd best offensive player on his teams for the majority of his career.  He shined while playing team ball with Team USA.  Him and Kobe carried the team in 2012.  It would also be nice to not be 100% reliant on Teague or Dennis creating off the dribble when our movement breaks down like it did so often in the playoffs.

He doesn't fit because our offense is about flow and ball movement.  There is a reason every game had a different high scorer.  His game is about isolation... slowing down and taking his shot good or bad.  

Also his salaries are $22,875,000, $24,559,380, $26,243,760, $27,928,140 over next four years as he is coming off a big injury and he is approaching the decline in his career.  

I think he gives us a name / marketing face but I have a feeling he will kill chemistry

• Like 1

The reasons Melo doesn't work here have to do with price and age/injury concerns.  None of us know he'd be disruptive here.

There are a lot of people who call Kobe selfish for not deferring to his current teammates.  Who's he supposed to defer to?  Schwaggy P?  Same with Carmelo.  Who's he supposed to play team ball with/for?  Rely on Fisher to coach them up?  Wait for .... who am i kidding?  I can't name any current Knicks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like Anthony all that much but I disagree with the notion that he'd somehow come here and tear down the house of cards.  Every time he's had a decent team around him they've actually won.  Well, let me rephrase.  I don't think he's ever been on a team that under-performed where they were supposed to be.

There is just something about Melo that gives me great pause. On Team USA he deferred and played his role because there were better players than himself on that team. In Atlanta he'll be the guy, will he so easily defer? Maybe

Melo has had 2 chances to go to different teams and be a cog in winning and both times he choose the money.
1st he could have stayed in Denver and become a FA then signed with the Knicks, instead they gutted the team in a trade. Melo wanted his money.
He had a chance last off season tojoin the Bulls or Houston but again he choose the money.
I understand his talent, but......pause.

I also remember this article..

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11904296/new-york-knicks-forward-carmelo-anthony-wants-bulletproof-reputation

Edited by JayBirdHawk

He doesn't fit because our offense is about flow and ball movement.  There is a reason every game had a different high scorer.  His game is about isolation... slowing down and taking his shot good or bad.  

Also his salaries are $22,875,000, $24,559,380, $26,243,760, $27,928,140 over next four years as he is coming off a big injury and he is approaching the decline in his career.  

I think he gives us a name / marketing face but I have a feeling he will kill chemistry

We know that he relies on ISO when he is surrounded by inept offensive players.  He played great team ball while being surrounded by offensive talent on Team USA.  I don't see how any one can claim to know how he would play in our system while being surrounded by our offensive talent.

Question:  What would Melo's intentions likely be if he waived his no-trade clause to accept a trade to Atlanta? 

We know that he relies on ISO when he is surrounded by inept offensive players.  He played great team ball while being surrounded by offensive talent on Team USA.  I don't see how any one can claim to know how he would play in our system while being surrounded by our offensive talent.

Question:  What would Melo's intentions likely be if he waived his no-trade clause to accept a trade to Atlanta? 

Like I said above...he played team ball because he was surrounded by players BETTER than himself.  

Like I said previously I can only summise that Melo would be interested in Bud ball if he waived his NTC.

He just make me uneasy.

Like I said above...he played team ball because he was surrounded by players BETTER than himself.  

Like I said previously I can only summise that Melo would be interested in Bud ball if he waived his NTC.

He just make me uneasy.

I think you just have gas.

Seriously though, I think it's fair to be concerned.  However, waiving the no-trade would be a big indicator IMHO.  He's currently 'the man' in NYC.  If that's his focus, no reason to come here to be 'the man' in ATL.  It'd be an indication that he actually wants to be serious about winning.

I think you just have gas.

Seriously though, I think it's fair to be concerned.  However, waiving the no-trade would be a big indicator IMHO.  He's currently 'the man' in NYC.  If that's his focus, no reason to come here to be 'the man' in ATL.  It'd be an indication that he actually wants to be serious about winning.

smelly-fart-smiley-emoticon.gif

No, not gas......still uneasy.

• Premium Member

Hm... Melo has been shut down how many seasons in a row now? Two? Three? He said players wouldn't want to play for the Hawks but now that the team is winning BIG he decides he'd like to join the party... I don't know. We don't even know how well the Hawks will be playing come December/January. It could very well be that they will be even better than last year, Carroll or no Carroll. Splitter is such a massive upgrade over Antić that I feel we will be better than last year.

But when the playoffs come blah blah blah... It's a different team. Now we can say we have a GREAT defender in the middle to make things a little harder for LeBron and whoever else crosses our path.

I believe in Bud and in the team as is. I would be inclined to keep the player who decided to be a Hawk when his FA came. If the Knicks wanted Millsap so bad, they should have gone after him in July.

• Like 1

For those of you saying that Melo "could" or "would" be a team player is laughable....LAUGHABLE-Jesus on Big Lebowski. That is like saying a pig could possibly fly. You know, might need to lose a lil weight, get in shape a bit, go on a sensible diet. Stop it! Phil Jackson thinks we are the old Hawks, if this was really offered I'd get on the phone right away and tell him and Jeanie Buss that that $hit don't work here anymore and to take another trip to Montana to clear their heads about what complete morons they are to sign Melo and Kobe. We don't want any part of it.

Now that i see it written out Teague/Korver/Melo/Horford/Splitter I'm much less interested (ok i really wasn't before).  That has iso-Melo written all over it and I can see Korver standing open at the 3 point line while Melo backs his guy down.  

Korver is a 6th man on that squad, once Thabo becomes healthy.