• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Favourite 'one time' Hawks

dirtypuppet

So we've had a lot of notable one time players at the Hawks over the years. In recent memory, guys like T-Mac have (surprisingly) wound down their careers with brief appearances on a Hawks roster. Going back a bit, during the early 2000's we were a doorstep for soooo many players who would come via trade or a signing for a variety of reasons. Sheed, Kenny Anderson, Stephen Jackson and so on. 

So who was your favourite 'one-time' Hawk? Points go to the more obscure or forgotten players.

For me, I feel like the season that Ronald 'Flip' Murray gave us was completely down played. In a year that we made the playoffs, Flip was a consistent sparkplug, often found iso'd at half court to wind down a quarter and get us a bucket. He even won a few games single handedly with offensive outbursts during fourth quarter runs that I recall. Even more surprising, in a what was a contract year for Flip I felt he proved himself to be an NBA level player, but he never received that contract and shortly bounced out of the league. Thanks for the memories Flip.

Bobby 'triple double' Sura surely requires a mention but I'll leave him and others to the rest of you. So who sticks out in your memory?

Toni Kukoc because of the Bulls. Brevin Knight was talked up by Nique alot when he first arrived....and of course the ultimate one time....well one day Hawk, Rasheed Wallace lol. Fun Fact if you look up the all time Hawks roster, they have Jermaine Jackson from the Jackson 5 on the list. Lol

Gary Payton. He never played for us but the transaction had him coming to us before he forced us to cut him loose. He joined the Lakers after that I think, or maybe the Heat. But just having the name of Gary Payton and the Hawks together was awesome. Also agree with Googs and Flip. Anthony Pig Miller was a real treat too, he would play with a toothpick coming out of his mouth like he just finished eating ribs or something lol.

Gary Payton. He never played for us but the transaction had him coming to us before he forced us to cut him loose. He joined the Lakers after that I think, or maybe the Heat. But just having the name of Gary Payton and the Hawks together was awesome. Also agree with Googs and Flip. Anthony Pig Miller was a real treat too, he would play with a toothpick coming out of his mouth like he just finished eating ribs or something lol.

You know a guy like Pig Miller could eat just by looking at him.  He lived up to the name, that's for sure.

The reasons I joined this board were my love for Flip and Al and my hate for Joe.  Flip was definitely slept on. 6th Man was harder to get around that time but he was a leading candidate in my eyes his first season with us.  He had no weaknesses as an isolation scorer and perfected a short pull-up jumper.  I'd be the happiest guy in the world if Hardaway could be similar but it would be hard without the Philly toughness.  I always enjoyed his jawing with Kobe.

With that said, if you throw out Jamal's worst two weeks of his first season, all you'd have left is about 60 games of pure offensive wizardry.  He actually made me hate Joe more he was so ultra-aggressive.  I'll never forget that he hit more free throws than Joe attempted that year.  In 480-something less minutes mind you.  His 4-point play has a special place in NBA History, it seemed like he did it every night.  

I loved Bibby's pacing of the team even though he was crippled, DeMarre's imprint will still be on this team this year.  But watching Jamal drop 20 off the bench in a hurry with no sweat was everything.