• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

From Four Allstars to ......

Diesel

• Premium Member

I hope Mr. NOGAMESOFF  Paul Millsap gets a nod as Allstar.   He's the only Hawk worthy to be in the conversation.  Even Bazemore has more worthiness than AL or Teague or Kyle.

Everynight, I wonder... what has Al brought?  At the end of the year, he's going to want near the max.  I don't see it.  I see kids playing better than he.  Okafor, Townes.  Maybe they are supposed to?

Well, we getting mad, he getting rich.

• Like 4

With the soft press here and mediocre fan base there's no pressure on Al to play harder.  

Sap busts his ass because the talent pool at 4 is much deeper than at 5.  He still has to earn his long-term deal while Al's is already cemented.  

As poor as he's been, his pedigree is enough for GMs to view him ahead of still-raw guys like Whiteside and Drummond.  Towns is young and untouchable for at least 3 years, Cousins is crazy, and Gasol is declining same as Al.  He just waited until after he got paid like normal people.  Sap has to post comparable numbers nightly to about 8 polished PFs.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, benhillboy said:

With the soft press here and mediocre fan base there's no pressure on Al to play harder.  

Sap busts his ass because the talent pool at 4 is much deeper than at 5.  He still has to earn his long-term deal while Al's is already cemented.  

What if the coaches pick Horford over Millsap for the All Star team. That would be a shame and make me a sadddd panda 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gsuteke said:

the Hawks piss me off to no end.  I've watched pieces of 2 or 3 games this year.  

I'm about as interested in them as they are interested in putting together a long term winner.

we had something finally going and they decided to blow it up.  

I think the worst thing they could have done is keep the same players as last season.  We all knew that team was never going to win the east and I think most knew the season was a fluke. 

Back on topic.  Who cares about an all star game?  It's for show and it's all popularity driven anyway.  Millsap probably would not be bothered one bit if he didn't make it in.  He's a real gamer and doesn't need accolades.  

• Like 1

I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, but until LeBron retires, I give the field a 10% chance at winning the East. To be honest...you're better off being in rebuilding mode while LeBron is dominating the East than being on a wild goose chase.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, but until LeBron retires, I give the field a 10% chance at winning the East. To be honest...you're better off being in rebuilding mode while LeBron is dominating the East than being on a wild goose chase.

I won't go that far, but I'll say that the East is his to lose for the next three seasons with the current roster they have and with him playing at this level.

And back to the topic of the thread, Millsap easily should/will be an All-Star but outside of that, we don't have anyone else worthy which is disappointing but it isn't like we were going to get four guys in every single year.  Last year was a fluke in that regard, as sweet as it was.

16 hours ago, Diesel said:

I hope Mr. NOGAMESOFF  Paul Millsap gets a nod as Allstar.   He's the only Hawk worthy to be in the conversation.  Even Bazemore has more worthiness than AL or Teague or Kyle.

Everynight, I wonder... what has Al brought?  At the end of the year, he's going to want near the max.  I don't see it.  I see kids playing better than he.  Okafor, Townes.  Maybe they are supposed to?

Well, we getting mad, he getting rich.

True, Millsap does deserve the nod. It sucks Bazemore will probably never be an All-Star, he definitely brings the energy every game in the Hawks' backcourt. 

Al has his big games. I just think us fans have grown spoiled of seeing JYD, Millsap and Bazemore putting their bodies on the line every single possession that when we see someone like Al who uses his speed and finesse it isn't as appreciated as much. 

I'm sure Millsap, Love (because the Cavs got the top record), Drummond and Al should get in. 

Edited by BigDog90

59 minutes ago, gsuteke said:

I wasn't interested in matching toronto's offer for Carroll.  I was just looking forward to seeing what could be made of this squad moving forward.

Bud is in over his head with the front office responsibility now.

I wonder how much ATL offered Carroll or did they let the market determine how much Carroll is worth.

Since going 14 - 12 in their first 26 games ( which is the official low water mark for the season ), the Hawks have gone 12 - 6 in their last 18 games ( .667 winning percentage )

If they continue to win at that pace over the next 38 games, the Hawks will finish 51 - 31, and likely be the #2 or #3 seed in the East.

Avoiding being seeded to play Cleveland in a potential 2nd round matchup, should be regular season goal.

As for Horford, you'd think the guy that made one of the most important plays in franchise history, would get more respect.  He isn't playing bad basketball by any means.  He's just a little more inconsistent.

From an analytics standpoint, he's having a very good season, and his production is almost identical to last year's.

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Since going 14 - 12 in their first 26 games ( which is the official low water mark for the season ), the Hawks have gone 12 - 6 in their last 18 games ( .667 winning percentage )

If they continue to win at that pace over the next 38 games, the Hawks will finish 51 - 31, and likely be the #2 or #3 seed in the East.

Avoiding being seeded to play Cleveland in a potential 2nd round matchup, should be regular season goal.

As for Horford, you'd think the guy that made one of the most important plays in franchise history, would get more respect.  He isn't playing bad basketball by any means.  He's just a little more inconsistent.

From an analytics standpoint, he's having a very good season, and his production is almost identical to last year's.

What analytics are you referring to?  Almost everything will be down from last year at season's end.  Offensive win shares and assorted offensive plus/minus are the only areas I can see increasing.  I could be wrong.

My opinion means little but my eye test just has me depressed at Al's style of play this year. Dude's a starting stretch 5 now.  Who does that, post-Vince Raptors?  

We played a harder-nosed team game when Pero stepped in for Al, granted we had Threezus and not Kyle Elliot.  Al was barely missed when we took Indy to 7 games (and please don't discount that team.  Me and you were extremely high on Lance and they breezed through the second round). 

The toughness lost from DeMarre and Pero is having a signifigant impact.  Paul is picking up slack, Al isn't, point blank.  I would never blame Jeff for not stepping up, I know better.  The biggest compliment I can pay to Al is that I know he can perform much better.  

Jalen quoted the same raw numbers I wa expecting this year: 18 and 9.  We're a couple games better in the win column if he were at these realistic marks.  That's the difference between a W or L throughout a playoff run.  

Sticking to his patented 17-20 ft range, screening with his torso, and making conscious effort to find a body on the glass helps us win in addition to the upper echelon intelligence and mobility he enjoys at 5. Pitty-pats on chasing PGs, standing at the arc with his hands out, and looking at the rim when the shot goes up leads to losses versus poorly disciplined teams we wouldn't have dreamed of losing to last year like Sacramento.

Besides, @NBASupes is Horf's biggest fan ever and even he is underwhelmed by Al this year.  So it's settled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

his production is almost identical to last year's.

And this is my problem, I don't want identical to last year. I want BETTER than last year considering he's looking for a max deal.

I gave him a pass last season considering he was just back from surgery, but I expected MORE this season.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

And this is my problem, I don't want identical to last year. I want BETTER than last year considering he's looking for a max deal.

I gave him a pass last season considering he was just back from surgery, but I expected MORE this season.

My heart was hoping for more from Al, but my head said otherwise.  Al has been in the league almost 10 years and I knew some regression would start to show at some point as much of his game is based on hustle and athleticism.  The 15 and 7 he's averaging now will probably be some of his better numbers from here on.  And that is my issue with giving him a max contract.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

12 -6 in there last 18 games...hmm
 they have only played 4 teams that have winning records during the last 18 games,  and are 5-5 in Jan.
While they played 12 teams with winning records during that 14-12 stretch.

After a 3 game losing streak vs The Thunder, Spurs and Heat....
the Hawks won 6 straight vs  the 76ers, Celtics,Magic , Blazers, Pistons and , Knicks, 

Since then , the Hawk are 6-6 in the last 12  games they have played. 5-5 this month

And if you have to "avoid a team until a certain round. Then that's probably because you know your not good enough to beat the team your ducking.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, benhillboy said:

What analytics are you referring to?  Almost everything will be down from last year at season's end.  Offensive win shares and assorted offensive plus/minus are the only areas I can see increasing.  I could be wrong.

My opinion means little but my eye test just has me depressed at Al's style of play this year. Dude's a starting stretch 5 now.  Who does that, post-Vince Raptors?  

We played a harder-nosed team game when Pero stepped in for Al, granted we had Threezus and not Kyle Elliot.  Al was barely missed when we took Indy to 7 games (and please don't discount that team.  Me and you were extremely high on Lance and they breezed through the second round). 

The toughness lost from DeMarre and Pero is having a signifigant impact.  Paul is picking up slack, Al isn't, point blank.  I would never blame Jeff for not stepping up, I know better.  The biggest compliment I can pay to Al is that I know he can perform much better.  

Jalen quoted the same raw numbers I wa expecting this year: 18 and 9.  We're a couple games better in the win column if he were at these realistic marks.  That's the difference between a W or L throughout a playoff run.  

Sticking to his patented 17-20 ft range, screening with his torso, and making conscious effort to find a body on the glass helps us win in addition to the upper echelon intelligence and mobility he enjoys at 5. Pitty-pats on chasing PGs, standing at the arc with his hands out, and looking at the rim when the shot goes up leads to losses versus poorly disciplined teams we wouldn't have dreamed of losing to last year like Sacramento.

Besides, @NBASupes is Horf's biggest fan ever and even he is underwhelmed by Al this year.  So it's settled.

Underwhelmed? Not really, he's been playing well. I am more underwhelmed by our lack of SF than him, Jeff, or Korver. We have a GM/personnel issue in the starting five. With that said, I am starting to like Tim more and more each game. 

2 hours ago, Jody23 said:

My heart was hoping for more from Al, but my head said otherwise.  Al has been in the league almost 10 years and I knew some regression would start to show at some point as much of his game is based on hustle and athleticism.  The 15 and 7 he's averaging now will probably be some of his better numbers from here on.  And that is my issue with giving him a max contract.

Al isn't regressing though. He's just as quick, fast and even more intelligent than he was years ago. Don't take Bud's system and the improved depth at C in the east as him playing poorly or something. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Al isn't regressing though. He's just as quick, fast and even more intelligent than he was years ago. Don't take Bud's system and the improved depth at C in the east as him playing poorly or something. 

Um, let's stop using Bud's system as an excuse for the fact that Al's not a good rebounder.  Bud's system is not the cause of that.  The approach is to not go after offensive rebounds on your end, not to give them up to other teams.

3 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Um, let's stop using Bud's system as an excuse for the fact that Al's not a good rebounder.  Bud's system is not the cause of that.  The approach is to not go after offensive rebounds on your end, not to give them up to other teams.

It's Bud's system. Also Bud has Al doing a lot more boxing out than last year as well instead of crashing the boards. It's most definitely Bud's system.