• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CViv: Hawks and JJ may have mutual interest in reunion

Diesel

• Moderators

Good News:  JJ joined a team with 0.0% chance of winning a chip so his ring chasing is completely ineffectual

Bad News:  JJ joined a team that is good enough to beat the Hawks in the playoffs and losing to the Heat and JJ would suck

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

FYI..........

The Heat’s ability to lure Joe Johnson for the veteran’s minimum of $1.5 million (prorated) is even more impressive considering this: Johnson said he turned down a $5 million offer (prorated) from an undisclosed team. We’re told Oklahoma City and Atlanta offered considerably more than Miami. 
 via Miami Herald

I always thought JJ was smarter. Why would you join a worse team for less money...OKC Hawks>Heat. I guess he wants to party with his boy DWade. He will have plenty of time for that begging end of April or possibly the beginning of May. (Aka after round 1)

So let's use a little bit of common sense, Hawks only had the room MLE at a pro rata $2.8m and the $5m pro rata would be the nontaxpayer MLE..... So the undisclosed team couldn't be OKC because they're well within the tax. It couldn't be Cleveland either.... Maybe Washington? Whatever.

1 hour ago, hawksfanatic said:

So let's use a little bit of common sense, Hawks only had the room MLE at a pro rata $2.8m and the $5m pro rata would be the nontaxpayer MLE..... So the undisclosed team couldn't be OKC because they're well within the tax. It couldn't be Cleveland either.... Maybe Washington? Whatever.

Why do you always burst the bubble.:angry:....:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I always thought JJ was smarter. Why would you join a worse team for less money...OKC Hawks>Heat. I guess he wants to party with his boy DWade. He will have plenty of time for that begging end of April or possibly the beginning of May. (Aka after round 1)

Remember that JJ also said that his role on the team would also be a factor in which team he chose.

If Bud told him that he wanted JJ to play 20 - 25 min/gm and come off the bench ... while Miami told him that he could be the starter and 2nd fiddle to Wade ... you'd see why JJ chose Miami.

Also keep in kind that we were free falling like Tom Petty around the trade deadline.

JJ wants one more money contract before he hangs it up.  With the way he is shooting the basketball lately, a team like the Heat may give him a 2 yr / 25 milliin deal this summer.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

Joe Johnson spurned Cavs because Heat “a piece away from being at top”

The race for Joe Johnson last month essentially came down to the Heat and Cavaliers, two teams that are always angling at each other and will meet Saturday in Miami.

While many expected Johnson to land with LeBron James in Cleveland, more than anything because that team is clearly in championship contention while Miami is still working toward that goal, he chose the Heat. Johnson spoke about picking between the two teams after today’s practice:

How much did the Cavs pursue you?
Johnson: “They made an effort. I got a lot of what I would call family over there as far as Tyronn Lue and Larry Drew, guys that I played with. I know those guys fairly well.”

Did LeBron talk to you?
Johnson: “Yeah, he reached out to me. That was basically it. He reached out.”

Is it correct that it came down to Cleveland or Miami?
Johnson: “Fairly. I had a nice selection of teams I could’ve went to, obviously, but when it came down to it they were the top.”

Did you choose Miami for short-term or long-term reasons?
Johnson: “Both. It’s late in my career, man. I’ll be 35 this year. I was looking more for some security, not necessarily a verbal commitment or anything like that, but somewhere I could really play and come out and enjoy the game.”

So why Miami?
Johnson: “Having (Dwyane) Wade here and talking to (Udonis Haslem) and Amar’e (Stoudemire), and their style of play. Style of play was probably the biggest difference. They told me they wanted to get up and down the floor and run, and that enticed me. I thought it was the best fit.”

So the change they made at the All-Star break sold you?
Johnson: “Yeah, their fast pace was pretty much a deal (sealer) for me. Everybody can push the basketball, make plays and keep the floor space. I think it helps.”

How was Miami the better short-term option given that Cleveland is way ahead in the standings?
Johnson: “Style of play, man. Getting up and down the floor. And just knowing this team was a piece or two away from possibly being at the top. I just wanted to help in some form or fashion.”

http://heatzone.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/03/18/joe-johnson-spurned-cavs-because-heat-a-piece-away-from-being-at-top/

38 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Cleveland pace: 28th

Heat pace: 25th

Hawks pace:9th

"What you talking 'bout, Joe?"

I was just gonna say the same. If your gonna bullshit, do your research JJ...matter of fact don't even bs anyone just saw I'm getting old and want more loot. 

Joe strikes me as a dude who values his enjoyment of life over basketball, he's just able to use basketball to reap the most reward out of life. 

Given that thought, I could see why he would want to go play (and live) in Miami, and not the armpit known as Cleveland. 

• Like 1