• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do you do about....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Mike Scott??

Scott posted career-bests in three-point percentage (39.2%), effective field goal percentage (55.1%) and true shooting percentage (57.5%).

The guy has loads of potential.  Offensively, he's coming around and defensively, he's a little better than he sucks.   Seriously, he's improving on defense but still has a ways to go.   We have an option for Scott worth about 3.4 Million.

Do we hold on to Scott or do we let him go??

• Like 1

I would say any Player who is good enough to get a place on the bench is worth 4mio.

This is very low especially with the new cap.

And I like Scott, and u think this Option is a no brainer..  only when he wants to sign a longer contract you can think about not using the option - but he would earn nearly the Double amount of money.

I'm  not sure when his option needs to be picked up.  Depending on if we need capspace to sign an upgrade he can be released. We can also resign him after releasing using the MLE exception or another exception once we've used up our capspacd?? His option can be picked up to use in a trade as an expring contract. He has value on the court as well as his contract.

We have options.

No one knows about the legal bit yet but Scott is good offense off the bench. Keep him, lose Moose and sign Humph and we have good depth at PF and some help at C. Scott is a good value at his current salary.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hell yeah.   If he can get his legal resolved he has the opportunity to get some good money in the future.    Plus we saw some glimpses this year that he could become at least a physical defender if not a good one.   I don't think he'll ever be a good man defender but i'll be happy with some hard fouls and getting under people's skin.  

I wonder if his arrest actually made him more focused and serious about developing his game.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm  not sure when his option needs to be picked up.  Depending on if we need capspace to sign an upgrade he can be released. We can also resign him after releasing using the MLE exception or another exception once we've used up our capspacd?? His option can be picked up to use in a trade as an expring contract. He has value on the court as well as his contract.

We have options.

I think I like the idea of releasing him, signing an upgrade and then picking him up via MLE.  The only things are:  1.  His arrest.   2.  Other teams may be interested.

• Like 1

I've always thought given the opportunity Mike Scott could be a good starter. Not just decent, but a good one. However with our front court we won't see it. But I'd definitely resign. He's bound to have a 20 point night every time he steps on the floor an like it or not he's the most consistent scorer we have on our bench. 

Ill also never ever forget that pacers series he played in with Horf down. Oh my god I thought he was the next Carmelo. And who can forget that slam he dropped on Mahimni

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I've always thought given the opportunity Mike Scott could be a good starter. Not just decent, but a good one. However with our front court we won't see it. But I'd definitely resign. He's bound to have a 20 point night every time he steps on the floor an like it or not he's the most consistent scorer we have on our bench. 

Ill also never ever forget that pacers series he played in with Horf down. Oh my god I thought he was the next Carmelo. And who can forget that slam he dropped on Mahimni

Mike Scott is not a starter.

25 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Ehhhh agree to disagree. I personally think if you put him on a team like Miami or Toronto starting at the 4 spot he would be very productive with his scoring. Defensively is always a question, but I mean he did crank it up this past season

Mike is an on again off again shooter.  If he's shooting it well - great, if not - uuuhh.  He was pretty useless unless he was scoring up until last season when he actually played some defense.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Not sure how closely you followed that series.

Mike Scott

9.4 ppg on 36.5% FG%, 2.4 rpg

He shot a brutally bad % from the floor (.477% TS% - 9th on the team) and didn't do much else.  The only way he looked good was by comparison to Pero Antic whose shooting that series was worse.

Scott basically had one great game and six crap games.

One game he shot 66.7% FG% and 83% 3pt%.  :cheer:

The other six games he shot 29.8% FG% and 19% 3pt%.  :bad:

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure how closely you followed that series.

Mike Scott

9.4 ppg on 36.5% FG%, 2.4 rpg

He shot a brutally bad % from the floor (.477% TS% - 9th on the team) and didn't do much else.  The only way he looked good was by comparison to Pero Antic whose shooting that series was worse.

Scott basically had one great game and six crap games.

1 great playoff game does not a starter make.

I keep him around and exercise the option the team has for another season.  He isn't good, but he's not terrible either.  He's somewhere between marginal and serviceable.  Besides unless there is an obvious upgrade to be had for close to his salary it's a no brainer to hold onto him.

• Moderators

I was curious about that Elephant in the Room and came across this... Wondering how much this is adding to the timeframe of processing $cott's case, or at least complicating matters? http://www.cbs46.com/story/30049340/banks-county-prosecutor-investigated-for-stealing-evidence

ORIGINAL STORY (9/16/15):

It's a troublesome development in a Georgia county that has already seen more than its share of shadows cast over the district attorney's office.

An investigation centers on the evidence room at the Banks County Jail, which is about 73 miles northeast of Atlanta. According to authorities, evidence might be missing from the room, or perhaps, never made it in the room to begin with.

It all started when the Banks County sheriff picked up on some peculiarities in a local prosecutor's record keeping. The sheriff brought his concerns to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and now the investigation is centered directly on assistant district attorney Sam Skelton.

Right now investigators won't say what kind of evidence might have been stolen. But without saying exactly what's missing, the sheriff's department hinted at what kinds of things could be contained in the evidence room.

"Anything our officers confiscate from traffic stops or investigations," said Sgt. Carissa McFaddin.

That doesn't really narrow it down. It could be money, drugs or even a murder weapon.

Banks County and the Piedmont Judicial Circuit has a storied past of trouble surrounding the district attorney's office.  In 2007, district attorney Tim Madison was also accused and convicted of theft in a scheme to defraud the government of money.

Forty years before that, district attorney Floyd "Fuzzy" Hoard was killed by gangsters known as the Dixie Mafia in retaliation for pursuing organized crime.

The current district attorney, Brad Smith, was out of town Wednesday, but CBS46 reached him on the phone. He said his assistant hasn't been arrested yet because there is not currently enough probable cause. 

The GBI said, among other things, that they are looking at whether the prosecutor would have stood to gain anything by stealing the evidence and whether it would have affected a case he was working on.

UPDATE 3/24/16: The GBI finished its part of the investigation and the case is now in the hands of the Georgia Prosecuting Attorneys Council.  State investigators gave no indication of whether they were able to draw any conclusions, or when to expect another update.

A source who works in the courts said Sam Skelton is accused of stealing money from fines paid to the district attorney's office. In addition to that, the Sheriff accuses Skelton of taking evidence from the jail's evidence room that was scheduled to be destroyed.  Based on that clue, the source presumes the evidence is drug-related.

Skelton was the assistant DA that spoke with the AJC about Scott's case back in August, about a month before this news broke. There's a good chance that Skelton's just a little preoccupied at the moment.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/atlanta-hawks-mike-scott-faces-up-to-25-years-on-d/nnJGQ/

Banks County waits for lab tests on drugs to be returned before setting a court date, Assistant District Attorney Sam Skelton told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The process can take up to several months.

We might be looking at "several years" now.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Keep him. The man has proven to have good games in the playoffs as well (Indy,Bos). Plus you can play him at SF if his defense keeps improving.

I enjoyed Mike's time here but he's maxed his potential and his ship has sailed.  I wouldn't mind seeing Bud develop a young bruiser like McAdoo.  Resigning Hump to a reasonable deal is top priority as far as in-house moves IMO.  Mike's ideal role is one of the team leaders for the Kings.