• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SummerHawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

5 minutes ago, terrell said:

Id like to agree, but he's always like that BEFORE the season.  Hope its different here, when and if things arent going so well...

Not sure we're talking about the same thing (?). The best I can say it... his tone is different.... dare I say, there's a maturity that comes across that isn't the DH I've previously heard speak.

I know its just summer league, but this win was impressive.   Without our highest draft pick, we won a game vs a team that that started a lineup that had a ton of NBA experience.   Beasley could start on a lot of teams in this league.  McDaniels and Harrell have seen extensive minutes and are legit quality defenders at the next level.  Dekker was seeing minutes before his injury.

Dug ourselves into an early but found a way to turn it around against a pretty veteran lineup.  Bembry, Patterson and Pangos were steadying forces. 

Cordinier struggled a bit with his handle and speed of the game at times but showed some BIG TIME athleticism.  The fastbreak alley from Patterson was wayyy off target, but he made a Julio type catch behind his body ( at least 3 feet) and finished in the air.  The rainbow 3 showed that he has a nice shot when his feet are set.  Great upside for a 2nd round 19 year old.

Cotton showed he had a knack for scoring, hitting some big shots for us also.  Needs to clean up his passing though, made some pretty terrible ones...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes,  guy on Rockets- Unauko (sp)?

Dwight said...OH WOW!...then Matt Weiner ask if Dwight would try that and he said...ummm no...but good for him (onuaka)...lol it was funny.

36 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Yeah, he's just a smart young man.  I may be nitpicking but I didn't like Dwight being sarcastic about it either.  When Weiner said the kid shot 59% in college last year and asked Dwight if he'd ever tried it, he foolishly scoffed at the idea like he's some style maven or something.  59% is higher than his career average.  He also didn't exactly have a joking tone when talking about taking threes. So help me God...

At some point I will stop being a little bitch, forget his past, and embrace him as a Hawk.  Just give me some time.

30 minutes ago, sturt said:

I get it that 59% represents an ever-so-slight improvement over DH's 57% career FT%, but I too would hesitate to think that underhanded is a viable solution. Chamberlain's name came up, and not because it ever worked for him.... clearly it didn't.

Point taken.  Don't quote me, but I think the kid made a vast improvement over his conventional FT percentage, maybe +.100.  A 10% increase from Dwight's mean would be substantial.  I wasn't aware Chamberlain shot underhanded, to no avail.  I thought Dwight just got him mixed up with Rick Barry, who it worked wonders for.  Different Stokes I guess.

• Like 1

I know its way early but with the way Costello plays compared to the way Moose has been playing for us I feel we may actually have three guys straight out of college on our game day roster. 

• Like 1

I liked what I saw from Bembry his shot needs work but as we all know the Hawks have had success reworking shots.

You can tell Patterson was trying out for 3rd PG next season cause he was facilitating way more than last year in SL.

• Like 2

Here's the game day rotation I want to see next year (assuming things work out reasonably well and it's just a ballpark):

PG: Dennis Schröder 32 mins/Malcolm Delaney 16 mins (4 mins in an off guard role)
SG: Kent Bazemore 30 mins/Kyle Korver 14 mins
SF: Thabo Sefolosha 18 mins/Taurean Prince 20 mins/Kyle Korver 10 mins
PF: Paul Millsap 34 mins/Mike Scott** 14 mins
C: Dwight Howard 30 mins/Tiago Splitter 18 mins

Others in the active rotation usually, but staying on the bench:

Mike Muscala***, DeAndre Bembry, Tim Hardaway Jr

Usual inactives: Walter Tavares and a guy picked up from summer league (Bryce Cotton)

** Will Mike Scott be able to plead down to a weed charge?

*** Would much rather Muscala be let go for someone else, ie: Humphries or Costello.

I mean Bryce Cotton maybe. So if this idea of mine is used, you have this lineup:

PG - Dennis Schröder 32 MPG
SG - Kent Bazemore 30 MPG
SF - Thabo Sefolosha 18 MPG
PF - Paul Millsap 34 MPG
C - Dwight Howard 30 MPG

6th man - Kyle Korver 24 MPG (with 10 mins of it spent against the backup SF)
PG and OG - Malcolm Delaney 20 MPG
SF - Taurean Prince 20 MPG
PF - Mike Scott 14 MPG
C - Tiago Splitter 18 MPG

It eases up on Kyle Korver's mins but still allows one of Bud's favorites to be a significant contributor. I know with Howard the idea is to surround him with shooters, the thing is, you only got one shooter in the starting lineup if you go with Schröder/Korver/Bazemore/Millsap/Howard. Millsap and Bazemore's perimeter shooting both aren't respected at all.

The best offensive lineup for this team would be this (if Delaney's shooting translates):

PG - Dennis Schröder
OG - Malcolm Delaney
SF - Kyle Korver
PF - Mike Scott (or even Taurean Prince as a small ball 4)
C - Dwight Howard

Potentially disastrous defensively but here you have the idea with Howard. 3 shooters in the lineup with him.

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Pacman21 said:

I liked what I saw from Bembry his shot needs work but as we all know the Hawks have had success reworking shots.

You can tell Patterson was trying out for 3rd PG next season cause he was facilitating way more than last year in SL.

I agree with the conclusion, but not with the supporting premise.... last year in SL, many of us were talking here about how rare it was that anyone else was getting minutes at the point. They really began the experiment with him then. If anything, he had competition for some of that last night, with Cotton and Pangos out there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

I agree with the conclusion, but not with the supporting premise.... last year in SL, many of us were talking here about how rare it was that anyone else was getting minutes at the point. They really began the experiment with him then. If anything, he had competition for some of that last night, with Cotton and Pangos out there.

Ohhhhh....all I remembered was him jacking 3s last year but I admittedly didn't watch much of the team last year.

That's good for LP tho cause he's not gonna survive athletically at the 2

• Like 2

Shredder/Delaney/Patterson, the PG situation is probably settled unless a great trade appears outta nowhere...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pacman21 said:

I don't know why. I just like his game and the tempo he plays at. His vision, I think, is up there with Teague's. I truly hope bud considers him for the pg spot. He is heady and such an excellent passer. Hopefully he can improve is shot and handles by training camp. 

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Shredder/Delaney/Patterson, the PG situation is probably settled unless a great trade appears outta nowhere...

Makes me wonder exactly if or where the available cap will be spent if not on a vet PG. PF has some questions that we can't even answer as of yet. Bud must be losing a lot of quality sleep over this Mike Scott stuff.