• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott Theory

thecampster

So I was sitting here last night trying to figure out why in the world the Hawks haven't waived Mike Scott yet or filled our their remaining 3 millionish of space. Then, looking at the roster it kind of hit me.

Mike Scott + Tiago Splitter are on expiring deals which with the trade kicker = $11.858 million. When going over the cap, you can take back up to 150% of salary. I'm thinking that regardless of the salary situation, we are keeping these 2 right now for a trade deadline situation. For cap purposes, we could take back  $17.78 million in salary. But the trade deadline is 50 games into the season, meaning the actual cap hit would be $3.6 million.  I'm thinking Bud is planning to use the first 50 games of the season to further develop Edy/Moose and at the trade deadline move these 2 expiring contracts for a solid player @ $17 million per.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yes, there's really no reason to make a move until you have to or until you have a deal you like. His guarantee date is Sunday as I understand it.

Also... to be totally precise...

2016-07-07_2202.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Because he is more than likely going to jail.

If he's more than likely going to jail, I'm guessing the Hawks have a better grasp of that than we do. Which means that we should know by Sunday night if the Hawks think Scott is in legal trouble or not, since that is the date Scott's contract becomes guaranteed for the season if he isn't waived.

You could be right with your guess. But my guess is we are either going to keep him if he's not going to be in jail/suspended OR we are planning on trading him (perhaps along with Patterson) before Sunday. By trading him and Patterson before Sunday, we can take back up to $6.3M back in salaries, and the team we trade them to can release them both with no cap penalty - which would clear a little over $4.1M of cap space for that team.

Regarding Splitter, something I've been tossing around lately. Pop traded Splitter here because he really likes the guy and wanted to trade him to a good home with a similar system and a coach Splitter already knows. I'm wondering if Pop also made Bud agree to not trade Splitter away? We'll probably never know, but it's something to think about. 

Considering he has a clean record, Scott isn't going to jail, but you don't get off easy for molly. If he gets accused for molly when he is arraigned, he's going to get suspended by the NBA for two seasons.

Perhaps his attorney is going to get them to take molly off the charge but we're not going to know until his arraignment.

• Premium Member

Again.... to be precise... not merely accused, but convicted. I figure you know/knew that, but there's been so many slight misnomers about the whole situation.... pardon my correction.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Considering he has a clean record, Scott isn't going to jail, but you don't get off easy for molly. If he gets accused for molly when he is arraigned, he's going to get suspended by the NBA for two seasons.

Perhaps his attorney is going to get them to take molly off the charge but we're not going to know until his arraignment.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

Again.... to be precise... not merely accused, but convicted. I figure you know/knew that, but there's been so many slight misnomers about the whole situation.... pardon my correction.

Unfortunately I can't edit as the VIP feature would be in the way.

• Like 1

Regardless, there is the legal penalty and then the league penalty. The real issue is will the case be done by season's end. If it will just be litigated over the next year, then there is no issue. But legal issues > BB issues. If the trial is going on during the playoffs next season, there is no do-over. Mike really needs to be waived so we can move on.

And for you legal eagles saying he isn't going to jail  http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-mike-scott-faces-up-to-25-years-on-two-felony-drug-charges/ . This isn't like getting caught with a joint.   It was 35.2 grams of marijuana and 10.9 grams of ecstasy.

Here is a site with a brief history of player suspensions related to drug use. Mike's case (due to the quantity and the arrest) is a bit unique. The NBA policy for DUI comes with a mandatory treatment program, 2nd offense $25,000 fine, 3rd, 5 game ban...etc. But in Scott's case, ecstasy is a whole different ball game.

To clarify...35.2 grams of pot is (according to the all knowing internet), about 60-90 joints.  10.9 grams of ecstasy is 109, 1 stack pills or 36 triple stacks.  In other words..he had enough to "distribute". This is not just going away...Scott's case is fairly unique in the NBA and he is facing a long ban and jail time.

• Moderators

I expect the Hawks will ask him for an extension of the deadline to pick up his option.  This has been done in other cases where the player doesn't want to be dropped outright.  

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, AHF said:

I expect the Hawks will ask him for an extension of the deadline to pick up his option.  This has been done in other cases where the player doesn't want to be dropped outright.  

Seems mutually beneficial in this case, for sure.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Seems mutually beneficial in this case, for sure.

The only rationale under which I could see him rejecting it is if he thinks the Hawks will cut him if he gets tagged in the case and that if he comes out clean he could get a lot more than $3M.  By the time his case is clarified, I don't think there will be a lot of cap money out there and the drug charges will diminish his value anyway so I see the extension making perfect sense.

• Moderators

It's possible prosecutors offer a deal though right?  Banks county has had problems with their handling of evidence and they may just offer a deal where he pleads guilty to possession of weed and accepts 30 days plus community service or something.   Seems unlikely but it's been slow and quiet on all sides. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's possible prosecutors offer a deal though right?  Banks county has had problems with their handling of evidence and they may just offer a deal where he pleads guilty to possession of weed and accepts 30 days plus community service or something.   Seems unlikely but it's been slow and quiet on all sides. 

Possible and he should jump on that if it is offered.  We'll just have to see.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sturt said:

Videotaped confession, conventionally speaking, seems a little difficult to beat.

You just have to wait and see how these play out, though.  Wouldn't be the first guy with money to end up with a plea deal that is much less serious than the top line initial charges even when the prosecutor presumably has that person dead to rights.   His previously clean record makes that more of a possibility.  

He could also get slammed.  We'll just have to see.  

31 minutes ago, sturt said:

As long as he didn't send or receive any top secret intel in his e-mail account, he should be okay, actually.

*wink*

Apparently, there's nothing wrong with that either, according to the FBI and Department of Justice. 

• Like 2