• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are you happy with Paul??

Diesel

Are you happy with Paul?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

For the past two years, Paul Millsap has been the highest paid Hawk.

Do you think he was worthy of it?

Would you sign Millsap to a contract to extend his time as a Hawk until he retires?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I would definitely like to keep Millsap and see if we can get one more high ranking piece to put with him and Dwight next season.

I would like to know what the numbers will look like for next offseason?  I know we have foriegn scouts.  This is what I would like to do...

Our target should be:   Giannis Antetokounmpo..   However, since he's restricted...

We should go after Gallanari?

Howard, Sap, Gallanari, Baze, Dennis...

back to the original thought.  IF Greek Freak pressed a trade to Atlanta, would Milwaukee go for Prince and 2 firsts for the Greek freak?  We talk about how much power Free agents like Lebron has with the power of the 1 year deal, however, I think Freak has a bigger power... I'm going back to Crete.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

back to the original thought.  IF Greek Freak pressed a trade to Atlanta, would Milwaukee go for Prince and 2 firsts for the Greek freak?  We talk about how much power Free agents like Lebron has with the power of the 1 year deal, however, I think Freak has a bigger power... I'm going back to Crete.  

The only real power is the threat of going back to Greece. Most GMs know players and agents are not likely to give up 15 million or more a season so the threat of taking a whole season off is not taken seriously.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I can't imagine the Greek leagues pay anything close to what he would get here.

Yeah, you are right.   But if it were just for the 1 year.... to become UFA, I think it would be in line with the same salary he would make over the 1 year on his rookie deal?

Because the way that things are now, a RFA can not sign the extension, become a UFA and the team that has him will lose him for nothing.  So if a RFA decides that he's tired of Milwaukee and presses the trade, Milwaukee would be smart to trade him for something of value. 

• Moderators

Did they change the rules on this?  Previously, if they were tendered the one year offer and they went to Europe the team retained the RFA rights to that player like we did with Chills.

• Like 1

• Admin

I think a Hood / Trey Lyles for Paul  would be an intersting trade

No way we could get the Greek Freak especially for Prince and 2 firsts ... he probably has some of the highest value in the league right now

Gallo would be a great fit but he is so injury prone

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Yeah, you are right.   But if it were just for the 1 year.... to become UFA, I think it would be in line with the same salary he would make over the 1 year on his rookie deal?

Because the way that things are now, a RFA can not sign the extension, become a UFA and the team that has him will lose him for nothing.  So if a RFA decides that he's tired of Milwaukee and presses the trade, Milwaukee would be smart to trade him for something of value. 

Nope.  See Childress, Josh.  When he signed with Greece, the Hawks still held his rights 3 years later.  He was eventually traded to the Suns.

On July 14th, 2010, the Atlanta Hawks signed and traded forward Josh Childress to the Phoenix Suns for a 2012 2nd round draft pick (Mike Scott) and a traded player exception.

11 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

No way we could get the Greek Freak especially for Prince and 2 firsts ... he probably has some of the highest value in the league right now

What's Lyles done to make you think he's ... well anything at this point?  Jury's still out on whether or not Hood's good stretch was an aberration.

Also, party foul on @Diesel again for making a pole but waiting for others to respond before making his own opinions known.  Major poal-posting party foul.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

First off, Utah doesn't want Sap.  They have Favors.    Why give up Hood when you don't have to.

Secondly,  Aside from a trade that would "blow us away" I don't see a problem with keeping him.  I'm talking to him about extension today if I'm the Hawks.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Also, party foul on @Diesel again for making a pole but waiting for others to respond before making his own opinions known.  Major poal-posting party foul.

You're joking right?  I was the first to respond in the poll.

• Like 1

Most certainly worth the money. He's the one guy you know is going to give his all. He could have a much better season this year next to Dwight since last year he was burned out(top level wise) mid-season for having to do to much. But lets hope he learned from Al as well and takes up some tasks Dwight can not do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

First off, Utah doesn't want Sap.  They have Favors.    Why give up Hood when you don't have to.

Secondly,  Aside from a trade that would "blow us away" I don't see a problem with keeping him.  I'm talking to him about extension today if I'm the Hawks.

He can't sign an extension to his current contract.

15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You're joking right?  I was the first to respond in the poll.

Eh, I guess you win .. this time.  I still got my sideeye on you.

I wouldnt resign him unless it's for a reasonable cost (something like the D8 contract). I think the right move is to trade him to a team like LAC,OKC,or TOR for some nice assets and 1st... A trade along these lines would be intriguing...

TOR gets Millsap

ATL gets Patterson,Carroll,Powell,Poetlt,and future 1st

OKC gets Millsap

ATL gets Sabonis,Roberson,and future 1sts

LAC gets Millsap

ATL gets Griffin

I'm more than happy with Paul and he has deserved every penny he got from us.

Resigning him or not depends on the season he has, how we are playing by the trade deadline and our overall record.

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm more than happy with Paul and he has deserved every penny he got from us.

Resigning him or not depends on the season he has, how we are playing by the trade deadline and our overall record.

Well, After we win the championship, it should be an easy call to resign Sap!

• Like 4

Sap has been our best player since he got here. And so far both of the contracts he agreed to with us have been discounts. Should we show him the money if he wants to stay in Atlanta? Absolutely.  He deserves whatever money he is due. Should we overpay or offer him a full max like we did Al? Probably not. He isn't a franchise changing talent. But he is worth the money we have given and and will give him in the future.

Now, am I satisfied with him? 9 out of 10 times yes. But he has had more and more moment lately where he has let us down.  End of game situations when we ask him to get us a bucket, he has failed miserably.  Several games where he cant get a call from the refs it clearly affects his focus. And lastly the past two playoffs against Cleveland his over aggression on defense and close outs has sprung some back breaking 3's. So Im not 100% in love with Paul but as with any long term relationship its easy to find flaws through familiarity. we can do much worse than Sap. if the right deal came along I would definitely listen

• Like 2