• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Laker Takeover tonight?

BigDog90

Tonight the Hawks play the Lakers since Kobe retired. With Dwight, a true star on the Hawks now and Kobe retired, will fan support for the Hawks reflect that change or will it be a bunch of fans wearing Kobe jerseys?

ATL will always be eat slap up with transplants and star-chasers. But I have a feeling the prodigal son coming home and the Mamba's retirement will put a damper on that tonight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

There were so many Laker fans at Philips last night!  It just made me sick to hear the fans cheering for them.

Guess the legend of Bird and Magic will never die for those transplants or whatever they are. A lot of green in the crowd when Boston shows up as well. Nicest thing I can possibly say is at least their NBA fans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

I am out there cheering to the very end with my fellow 6th man members.  It's just sad to me the teams that come to town and have as many fans as the home team (Cavs, Lakers, Celtics). What's wrong with people in Atlanta???  No pride.  

I'm hoping worst case Hawks fans sold their tickets to Lakers fans and that it is not a reflection of local's support for the team.

You guys aren't thinking right.

- It was a Wednesday night game . . . same as Game 7 of the World Series

- It's the only time Atlanta area Laker fans will get to see their team in person all year.  And not just the Atlanta area.  Any person within 200 miles of ATL, and is a Laker fan, may have been at that game.   The only other places to see the Lakers more than 1 time a year, is in Memphis ( 5.5 hrs away from ATL )

- The Lakers are a "nothing" team, on a national scale, so fans that like to see star players weren't coming out on a Wednesday night, just to see the Hawks ( who also don't have any marquee players . . . closest one is Dwight ).

- Attendance was 13,800 . . . . so a lot of regular Hawks fans stayed home and probably watched the World Series.  If it was the one chance to see the Cubs win, I can't blame them for that.   Also keep in mind that some of those Laker fans, may cheer for the Hawks on a regular basis . . if they're not playing the Lakers.

So considering all factors, last night's crowd doesn't surprise me.  Laker fans aren't bandwagon fans.  They've been good for so long, that they're the one team that has a consistently loyal fan base.   A few bad years doesn't deter them.   Laker fans are like Cowboys fans.  I'm sure when the Cowboys come to play the Falcons, they partially take over the Georgia Dome as well.  Same goes for the Steelers.

Hawks fans need to be concerned if Rockets fans take over Philips on Saturday night.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

He was once a DOY and an athletic freak... Now he is neither. Now he is a mediocre defender with declining athleticism , and he is lazy. He can still dunk and get rebounds in his area, but little else.

That's mainly what we need him for anyways (with some rim protection) so... That kind of works out. 

• Like 1

If the Hawks had taken care of business and went for the knockout punch when they had the Lakers against the ropes, those Lakers fans would have been silenced. They were quiet while losing.  Atlanta is a city of transplants at least 50%.  Don't blame the fans, people show pride in the team representing their hometown.  Had a row of obnoxious Lakers fans behind me bashing Dwight, who were silenced by his play.  

Our sorry defense loss that game, not a lack of fan support and Lou Williams was out to prove a point in front of his hometown.  Actually, this was the best I have seen that Lakers team play.  Kudos to them and we will bury them in LA, in front of all the boos Dwight will receive there.  Payback is a ......

• Like 2