• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why do you suppose are we so turnover prone these first games?

sturt

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

At least half of the turnovers have been due to struggles with feeding the post...by everyone. No really, everyone.

This !

As I stated in the bulls vs hawks thread @Lurker is right on the money. The turnovers are coming from feeding the post or I should say attempting to feed the post. It's definitely a concern no doubt about it but it's also something that's getting better and by that I mean the team as whole is starting to find a way to feed Howard better thought the turnovers are still piling up. It's still a process we have to keep that in mind but we also need to give them more time to get it figured out....remember this offense is basically new to everyone.

one thing I can say with confidence is that I truly do feel like it's going to get better and turnovers will go down as more games are played. A lot of this has something to do with chemistry as well.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

It's between feeding the post and lack of chemistry. If you notice there's been alot of ISO then we're accustomed to. This is because the team is still learning how to play together.

Korver needs to come off the bench. I have nothing against the man, but he's  one of the reasons we turn the ball over. He tries to make these fast passes for it to only go wrong. Plus, I've noticed that the Hawks defense takes a hit when he's in the game as well. Start Thabo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

It's between feeding the post and lack of chemistry. If you notice there's been alot of ISO then we're accustomed to. This is because the team is still learning how to play together.

Korver needs to come off the bench. I have nothing against the man, but he's  one of the reasons we turn the ball over. He tries to make these fast passes for it to only go wrong. Plus, I've noticed that the Hawks defense takes a hit when he's in the game as well. Start Thabo.

Starting Thabo certainly helped us against the Cavs. Not convinced he has lost a step as was mentioned more than once last year. Not coming off of injury to start the season for him has made such a big difference.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Also many of the turnovers come from over dribbling and over penetration with limited options leading to force a pass to Howard.  Dennis isn't the only culprit either.  Millsap continues to do it over and over.  Plus, Howard's hands and coordination aren't elite so he drops a lot of catchable passes and miss times others.  I think that we should limit the passes to the post and make the obvious play like the last 2 years.  Seem like we have totally changed our approach this year.  We use to try to get someone open for a jump shot, now we try to force feed the post while turning down open jump shot.  We need to slightly shift back to focusing on finding open shooters since we have better jump shooters this year and have one of the better offensive rebounders in the league.

• Like 1

• Admin

Post feeding is absolutely an issue that needs a lot of work but there were a lot of turnovers last night that were just telegraphed passes ... we need to do a better job of making smart passes and not lazy ones ... we are second to last right now in the NBA in turnovers ... Taking our time and using our heads should improve this dramatically

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We need someone to help all our perimeter players feed the post correctly. The vast majority of the turnovers are coming from trying to get Howard the ball. We have to cut that out. Dwight has almost no one in the league that can match up with him and we need to get him the ball efficiently. He's been in outstanding low post position or coming off a screen to get the ball and they just aren't getting it to him. I am sure this will get corrected.

• Like 1

I remember watching a segment on TNT or NBA tv and they were talking about the art of feeding the post and how today's players don't know how to make entry passes and I remember thinking it can't be that difficult. But now watching us struggle so bad I'm like damn, it really is like Rocket science.

What surprises me the most is 2 things that I don't see.

Number one is the big man, once he has position  and his defender bodied has to give you a target with his hands. That hand in the Air is your aiming point. You have to make the passes easy to catch.  

2, is you have to throw the post man open sometimes. Meaning throw it to an open space he can get to. We do a bad job of this cuz we either throw fastballs that Dwight has no chance of getting cleanly or we telegraph the pass in to traffic instead of away.

One more thing is after watching the Olympic team play the announcers mentioned the differences in finding Boogie Cousins in the post and finding Deandre Jordan. They stated how players kept trying to give Deandre bounce passes and that that wasn't his game, he wasn't nimble enough to reach down to find a pass and come back up with it clean to make a play. He was an above the rim post player and his passes need to be chest high or higher so he could go and stay up. I'm seeing this from Dwight. We not only struggle with the bounce passes but he doesn't like to go down for them either. We need to fake the bounce pass more often and give him taller passes. 

Just like with shooters. If Kyle had to catch a pass at his feet or jump to catch one that had too much heat on it he would make less threes because you are adding so many extra moving parts to the equation. The mind set can't be just get the ball to him as fast as possible. It needs to be get the ball to him on time and on target, just like with everything else in our offense. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 4

I'm seeing way too many passes in traffic, forced passes. telegraphed passes, and flat out lazy passes

They have to clean this up though. Right now they are winning despite the turnovers but at some point good teams will exploit that.,

That one alley attempt in the Cavs game when the Cavs were making that comeback in the 4th was a real "wtf" are you thinking moment