• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Koonin on the Ave

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, Resslemania said:

Seems excited to work with the team.  I just wish he'd trash the volt green (replace it with yellow) and triangles on the jerseys :biggrin:

Fun times seeing this franchise get make some moves.

Nooooooooooooooo, lol.

Koonin was on NBARadio yesterday discussing all these new Hawk-related developments. He was GREAT!

Said we'll have the 2nd closest dleague affiliate in the NBA.  OKC has the closest.  Having the dleague team close was a Budz request as he envisioned a guy playing a DL game on a Tuesday and being able to be up with the big squad as soon as the next day, if needed.

Mentioned the new stadium reno is designed for us to have the most millenial-friendly arena in sports (good thing or bad thing?).  Something about being able to view the game from the concession stands or STTE

He educated the hosts about how important Atlanta is as an NBA tv market.  Spoke about NBA ratings, TV, new developments in viewing the game (spoke of some of the Steve Balmer stuff).  The hosts didn't realize he'd run Turner so it was really cool to hear him basically pat them both on the head for a few minutes.  Really cool interview.  If I can find it I'll post a link.

On 11/11/2016 at 8:32 AM, kg01 said:

Mentioned the new stadium reno is designed for us to have the most millenial-friendly arena in sports (good thing or bad thing?).

Sports franchises are going all in on this lately, but they seem to forget that some fans only care about watching the game.  I'll be glad when this fad of catering to the bearded, skinny jeans crowd is over, and we get back to basketball.

39 minutes ago, Resslemania said:

Sports franchises are going all in on this lately, but they seem to forget that some fans only care about watching the game.  I'll be glad when this fad of catering to the bearded, skinny jeans crowd is over, and we get back to basketball.

I see it both ways I guess.  Although I hate the notion that half the crowd will be missing the actual game while checking for in-game updates on their smart(sic) device, I certainly recognize a lot of them scraggly (yeah, it's a word) bearded, tight jeans'd, thrift-store shirt wearing, "I don't wear deodorant, I just rub lilac petals in my pits" dudes have a wad of money to spend.

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I see it both ways I guess.  Although I hate the notion that half the crowd will be missing the actual game while checking for in-game updates on their smart(sic) device, I certainly recognize a lot of them scraggly (yeah, it's a word) bearded, tight jeans'd, thrift-store shirt wearing, "I don't wear deodorant, I just rub lilac petals in my pits" dudes have a wad of money to spend.

I wonder if they're the kind of fans that stick around when the team isn't doing well?  My main concern is alienating the die-hards and investing millions to accommodate what may be a temporary, or "front-running." portion of the fan base.  Regardless, it'll be interesting to see the revamped arena, especially adding some windows.

Edited by Resslemania

4 minutes ago, Resslemania said:

I wonder if they're the kind of fans that stick around when the team isn't doing well?  My main concern is alienating the die-hards and investing millions to accommodate what may be a temporary, or "front-running." portion of the fan base.  Regardless, it'll be interesting to see the revamped arena, especially adding some windows.

They absolutely aren't.  Once the newness fades, they'll be in/out.  Will probably be big into MLS once that gets going full force.

It's why I'm encouraged by the fact that MGT doesn't seem to be fixated only on fixing the game experience.  They appear to be even more motivated to build a winner concurrently which is clearly more important.

Like you said, us real fans will still enjoy the new arena, etc.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Dang yal are really going in on Millenials. Some of you forget that the previous generations of (true die hards) Hawks fans, post-Dominique, were among the absolute lowest attendance, excitement, and loyalty. 

It seems when millenials (whose parents were and still are the most fickle Atlanta sports fans, hence our bad reputation to begin with) became of buying power age, they have actually invested in to the team.

And so what if it's just the cool thing to do for some. That's much better than the same people with the same money coming to games wearing the opposite teams jersey.

What the Hawks are succeeding at doing is making the new baby boomer generation the focus because we are in the beginning phase of consumer buying power. Most are post college, in to the workforce, getting ready to marry and raise a family in Atlanta. You grow that core and it's set for life.

The Hawks been winning for years but outside of the first Highlight Factory years attendance and support still ain't been much to write about. If the "traditional" sports fan crowd would have done their part, instead of blaming transients for everything, there would be no need to switch focus. 

Id wager that most millenials are much like myself. Lifetime Hawks fans whose parents never took them to games and bad mouthed the team as much as possible. 

I moved away for school during our most successful years, and came back recently as a working adult and became the first Hawks season ticket holder in my family.

Im happy as hell others in my age group are passionate about the team. I can go out to bars and talk HAWKS and not just Lebron. This is how life should be

Well this is dead on.   Now i feel bad for criticizing your other post.   I'm not a millenial but i couldn't agree with this more.   I'd say 50% or more of my friends growing up were fans of non-Atlanta teams despite never having lived outside of Atlanta.   So yes!!  Thanks for posting this.   

I wouldn't blame older fans for being disloyal: they weathered some BAD basketball for a LONG time (no playoffs for YEARS).  Millennials get alot of grief for being bandwagon jumpers too because they grew up with all the post Jordan stars on cable as the NBA and sports overall enjoyed a bigger TV footprint, so we'll see how loyal they are long-term.  As always, winning cures all.