• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Scale of 1-10

DocWilkins

On 11/21/2016 at 10:23 AM, AHF said:

Forcing bad perimeter shots will never help you penetrate more effectively.  They just make your opponent want to keep doing whatever generated that terrible forced shot.  

On  Dennis as a whole, I expect some real up and downs for him this year.  No individual game is going to cause me to hit the alarm bell.  What I want to see over the course of the season is progress and continued improvement and consistency.  He should be notably better to end the season than he was to start it.  Along the way he will have some rough games and some brilliant ones.

When you penetrate but throw the ball away or bounce it like a rock off the backboard, the outlook is not good.

I liked Dennis' pace of play this game.  On defense and offense.

His decision making down the stretch is a work in progress.

He needs to develop his left hand for next season.

He needs to do a better job with unforced turnovers - like dribbling the ball off foot.

Bud benched him a few games ago but he didn't shrivel - He'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

So yeah...this thread? Any of you willing to eat your humble pie yet? Still question Dennis as our starter?

Definitely growing in big spurts here and there but last night really was his game. Put us on his back. This was only game twenty four so by the playoffs its going to be really interesting for him and us. Hard not to be excited after that performance.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Definitely growing in big spurts here and there but last night really was his game. Put us on his back. This was only game twenty four so by the playoffs its going to be really interesting for him and us. Hard not to be excited after that performance.  

I tried to lower my excitement level but it wasn't easy...

IMG_7375.GIF

4 hours ago, django2341 said:

He always Plays his best games on the big stage.

He has already experienced the highs and lows of fighting the Cavs in the playoffs so yeah, he'll be ready with little doubt by the playoffs this year.

• Moderators

Schröder doesn't fit with the Hawks... He keeps trying to school-yard, Iverson-ball and the Hawks needs fundamental, Stockton-ball out of our starting PG. His play works as a sixth man when we need a spark, but not as a starter.

I give my concern a 5 as he is still young and has lots to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The past week has looked positive with Dennis. Hasn't necessarily put it all together all at once but he flat out saved us last night. Understanding not all games will be spectacular but he has played with several different paces and is handling what is in front of him much better of late.

• Like 1

vor 45 Minuten, PSSSHHHRRR87 sagte:

Schröder doesn't fit with the Hawks... He keeps trying to school-yard, Iverson-ball and the Hawks needs fundamental, Stockton-ball out of our starting PG. His play works as a sixth man when we need a spark, but not as a starter.

I give my concern a 5 as he is still young and has lots to learn.

See what you're missing is that the whole hawks system is changing. Its not the usual budball anymore. We don't have the players to play that system anymore. Only the second unit is partially able to stick to the roots. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
See what you're missing is that the whole hawks system is changing. Its not the usual budball anymore. We don't have the players to play that system anymore. Only the second unit is partially able to stick to the roots. 

Then I hope Bud is willing to bend to make this work. The Falcons offense it together because Shanahan and Ruan's offense were able to meet in the middle and play together. It was terrible last season because Shanahan had a "my way or the highway" approach to instilling his offense.

Something has to give for these Hawks to continue to be successful. I still believe we need a trade to get us over the hump because there is not a single guy on this team that can produce offense at will. The biggest thing we lost when Horford left was his offensive consistency.

I'm still not a fan of Schröder on this team. I understand he is still very young, but he isn't a starting PG we need for a championship run. He isn't a great enough shooter to be calling his own number and there are too many times he drives the lane forcing a play and he gets lost amongst the trees. He also has some plays where he holds onto ball too long and dribbles around too long. Hate calling him a ball hog tho. He keeps it up and we'll have to change his jersey number to 5.

2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Then I hope Bud is willing to bend to make this work. The Falcons offense it together because Shanahan and Ruan's offense were able to meet in the middle and play together. It was terrible last season because Shanahan had a "my way or the highway" approach to instilling his offense.

Something has to give for these Hawks to continue to be successful. I still believe we need a trade to get us over the hump because there is not a single guy on this team that can produce offense at will. The biggest thing we lost when Horford left was his offensive consistency.

I'm still not a fan of Schröder on this team. I understand he is still very young, but he isn't a starting PG we need for a championship run. He isn't a great enough shooter to be calling his own number and there are too many times he drives the lane forcing a play and he gets lost amongst the trees. He also has some plays where he holds onto ball too long and dribbles around too long. Hate calling him a ball hog tho. He keeps it up and we'll have to change his jersey number to 5.

I can see where you think he holds the ball too long, but please tell me where our offense will come from if Schröder is not pushing the issue?  Schröder and Milsap are the Hawks only decent playmakers.  When the wings aren't scoring and we can't get the ball to Dwight, what is Schröder to do?  He has to be more of a scoring options right now, because teams don't respect the starting wings.  The Bucks started doubling Dennis and that's when he and Paul went to work with the 1 4 pick and roll.  If Dennis wasn't scoring, he was making the right read,  passing AND directing Milsap to the right spot to score or make a subsequent pass.  That's truly what I've been wanting to see from Dennis.  He was the floor general! 

Over the past ten games he's averaging about 19 pts 6 assists 3 rbs and 2.5 turnovers. This is our young 23 year old point guard doing that in only his second month of starting.  I'd take those numbers all day everyday.  The only other point guard around Dennis' age doing that is Kyrie...the number 1 overrall pick for his draft.  I think Dennis is well on his way to being an Allstar if not bonafide star.  I know it's early and I have to temper my expectations because he will have his bad games and he still needs to cut down on the TO's.  However, my overall concern for Dennis is at a 0.  He's actually exceeded my expectations for him thus far.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

He and Millsap are the only ones good enough and capable enough to call their own number. 

Dennis calling his own number is him driving to the basket, more often than not he's succesful doing that.

Like I said previously, when Dennis holds and pounds the ball too long that's when everybody standing around, not setting screens or cutting or getting open.

The PnR with him and Millsap is our best play that gives.us more options out of that action.

I don't expect consistency from Dennis, what I want to see is how does he let bad games for him affect the team, if he is able to not let a clunker by him slip into the next game, and if he can slightly improve in the turnover department.

If he continues playing hard defense in bad shooting nights and when he knows his shot is off, he takes a bit more of a backseat, that will be a good thing.

• Like 2

A point guard thats not timid has been a nice change for us. Getting past the youthful bumps early have been expected by even the harshest critics except of course for three or four here. Believe we made the right decision. Its just not silky smooth as if it ever was going to be.