• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why isn't the offense going through Howard more?

JackB1

look...it's obvious to all we are struggling on offense, so why aren't we going to Dwight more?  Why aren't we designing our offense to be more centered around 

getting the ball to Howard down low or working it inside out to our 3 point shooters?  We need to drastically change our play calling from last year and start going with

what works more.  Howard needs more touches...a lot more.  He is almost unstoppable at times, but then the ball stops going to him.  Why?  Why doesn't Bud see this

as the right way to play this year???

Edited by JackB1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JackB1 said:

look...it's obvious to all we are struggling on offense, so why aren't we going to Dwight more?  Why aren't we designing our offense to be more centered around 

getting the ball to Howard down low or working it inside out to our 3 point shooters?  We need to drastically change our play calling from last year and start going with

what works more.  Howard needs more touches...a lot more.  He is almost unstoppable at times, but then the ball stops going to him.  Why?  Why doesn't Bud see this

Because he isn't a guy you can dump it into on traditional post ups and say get me 2 points.  Dwight's effectiveness in the paint is lobs, putbacks etc.  Teams aren't doubling him off post ups especially since he is not as explosive anymore to just power thru his defender.

This is what Bud wants him to do:

Upon arriving with the Hawks, though, Budenholzer made it clear what he wanted from Howard during a team meeting before the season: play defense, rebound and control the paint at both ends. So far, Howard has done so, and is enjoying the opportunity to play in his hometown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/29/dwight-howards-homecoming-to-hawks-has-made-him-dominant-once-more/

Why do we not go to D8 in the post more?  He is super effective when

he grabs a pass and dunks the ball.  Also, when he stuffs a lob, it brings

all the fans up to their feet.

For an answer, watch the games closely.  A great example was the LA game.

Hawks started out with D8 leading the scoring and everything was great!

But, LA adjusted.  They put some tall figures around him and stopped the

passes and messed up the timing on the lobs.  D8 was shut down at that

point.  Hawks tried, again and again, to force it inside.  All they got for

their efforts was turnovers and\or fouls on D8.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Feed the big man when he's deep in the post. He's not as 'washed' as some might think. There's no excuse for a team that prides itself on BBIQ and ball movement not being able to make a simple entry pass when Dwight has a mismatch. I could understand it when he had Gobert on him, but a lot these missed opportunities are just poor fundamentals with some poor chemistry mixed in. With that being said, I may have been a little overzealous with my 20ppg and 12rpg prediction.

• Like 3

The problem is with today's NBA.  Every team runs the same offense.  There are no iso post ups anymore.  Every offense is designed to create an open 3 or a drive to the lane.  The result is a poor product, IMO. 

I would love to see our offense run through the post with Sap and Howard.  But apparently the analytics nerds have taken over, the big man is dead.

RIP basketball.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Feed the big man when he's deep in the post. He's not as 'washed' as some might think. There's no excuse for a team that prides itself on BBIQ and ball movement not being able to make a simple entry pass when Dwight has a mismatch. I could understand it when he had Gobert on him, but a lot these missed opportunities are just poor fundamentals with some poor chemistry mixed in. With that being said, I may have been a little overzealous with my 20ppg and 12rpg prediction.

I agree with 'feed him when he has deep position' but if that option is not there, traditional post ups don't work on a regular basis.

Feeding the post is a work in progress with this team.

His usage is right where it needs to be at 21.7.  I'm disappointed Bud hasn't halted his career-long trend of turning over and fouling more than scoring.  Couple that with his awfully low penchant for assisting and Bud basically throws him a bone in the post to keep him happy like all his previous coaches.  

Let alone his footwork, his touch is also tough to watch at times.  There are so many And-1 oppurtunites he gets no points out of.  

And still, he's our most efficient player by a mile.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, JackB1 said:

We should be feeding Dwight every trip down the court into a half court set. Like how the Knicks fed Ewing or the Rockets with Hakeem.

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

We should be feeding Dwight every trip down the court into a half court set. Like how the Knicks fed Ewing or the Rockets with Hakeem.

Every Trip???? Again Dwight doesn't have their offensive game and he's not as explosive as in his Orlando days to out quick bigs. Teams aren't doubling him like they used too and if the do he turns the ball over.

On 11/29/2016 at 0:58 PM, Lurker said:

He cannot create his own shot one on one in the post. This is not a solution.

Sir, I respectfully disagree.

Howard's post game is very good.  The problem is a lot of teams double him or have help defense close enough that he cant get his shot off before they rotate over.  The Hawks know this and try to keep the opposition honest but that is difficult when the rest of the team cant buy a bucket.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ATLSmith said:

Sir, I respectfully disagree.

Howard's post game is very good.  The problem is a lot of teams double him or have help defense close enough that he cant get his shot off before they rotate over.  The Hawks know this and try to keep the opposition honest but that is difficult when the rest of the team cant buy a bucket.

I'll say his post game is decent, for it to work effectively he has to have deep position and go quickly where he can outquick his defender (we have missed too many passes in this instance).  Dwight's traditional post game is very mechanical and methodical. His footwork is not very good. He doesn't pass out of double teams well either and he is prone to turning it over when doubled. 

If we need two points for a win can we dump it into Dwight and say get us 2 points or makethe right read for a pass to get the 2 - I don't think we can.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Every Trip???? Again Dwight doesn't have their offensive game and he's not as explosive as in his Orlando days to out quick bigs. Teams aren't doubling him like they used too and if the do he turns the ball over.

I am serious. I know most people don't remember a NBA that had great post players but you want them touching the ball every trip down in the half court. Make the other team foul them. Make them get into foul trouble as a team. Even a 50% FT guy in Dwight is going to score enough points and enable the rest of the team to get to the line if you give him enough touches.

There are very few people that can guard him straight up in the low post. We should be abusing that as much as possible. Dwight is not a stretch five or a pick n pop guy that can get assists off open looks like Horford. He is a beast inside and we need to feed him.

The rest of the team should be able to live off open looks and better spacing as a result.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I am serious. I know most people don't remember a NBA that had great post players but you want them touching the ball every trip down in the half court. Make the other team foul them. Make them get into foul trouble as a team. Even a 50% FT guy in Dwight is going to score enough points and enable the rest of the team to get to the line if you give him enough touches.

There are very few people that can guard him straight up in the low post. We should be abusing that as much as possible. Dwight is not a stretch five or a pick n pop guy that can get assists off open looks like Horford. He is a beast inside and we need to feed him.

The rest of the team should be able to live off open looks and better spacing as a result.

I'm a fan of this kind of basketball but i just think that's not effective in the nba the way it once was.   I think a lot of guys can keep Dwight from scoring without a double team so it doesn't open up the 3 the way it did with Hakeem.   without getting a lot of 3s off his post touches he really has to convert at a high clip to make it worth while if you're just shooting for post up 2s.   

• Like 1