• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would knocking CLE out in the playoffs be a success.

LamarHampton

Was thinking about this earlier to myself and thought I would gauge the Hawksfolk.

If the Hawks only accomplishment this year was knocking Cleveland out of the playoffs, would you consider that a success?

e.g., the Hawks face Cleveland in the first or second round, knock Cleveland out, but subsequently lose themselves, would you still feel good about this season and / or consider this season a success?

To be entirely clear, I am not saying I think the Hawks can or will beat Cleveland in the playoffs. I am just posing a 'what if?'

Personally, I would. Given it is the first year integrating Dwight and Schröder into the starting unit, both of which are major changes, and Cleveland has been our primary stumbling block these last couple years, I would consider that a huge success knowing that we found a way to answer the Cleveland question. Even if the Hawks continued their up and down play, stumbled into the playoffs as an 8 seed, and managed to knock out Cleveland, only to be subsequently be swept by whomever, I would still walk away from the season happy. Not thrilled, but overall positive and happy. Not only because we would have an answer for CLE, but because I would expect Dwight and Dennis to fit much better next season and have even more potential. (Still, I recognize we have a lot of FAs this offseason, which is another issue, but still.)

Again, not saying it will happen. But if it did, how would you view the season?

• Like 1

I'd say yes as well. All the reasons you gave. Obviously I'd like to win in all every year but that's not happening. Knocking the Cavs out would be sweet though. 

BTW, kudos on having a thought on the weekend that didn't include football or boobies!

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

BTW, kudos on having a thought on the weekend that didn't include football or boobies!

Let's just say I'm a multi tasker. I can watch t.v, the Internet on one screen, and type on the other screen with one hand.

so many people seem to be of the opinion that we only succeed if we win the 'ship or at least make it to the ecf. Its not that simple for me.

beating the living s*** out of the Celtics would also be considered a success, regardless of most everything else. Not just because of Al either.

• Like 2

Hell yes, that is such a big first step though I don't ever like the term swept. Bare in mind we're battling the Cav, the refs and the NBA obsessed with tv/fans ratings. A big win for us on the season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:beating the living s*** out of the Celtics would also be considered a success, regardless of most everything else. Not just because of Al either.

beating the living s*** out of the Celtics would also be considered a success, regardless of most everything else. Not just because of Al either.

That is the way I felt about the Celtics in the seventies and ever since then as well but the last two plus years LeBron is the brick wall for us and everyone else in the East and taking them down would be a huge step for us and put folks on notice. 

6 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Was thinking about this earlier to myself and thought I would gauge the Hawksfolk.

If the Hawks only accomplishment this year was knocking Cleveland out of the playoffs, would you consider that a success?

e.g., the Hawks face Cleveland in the first or second round, knock Cleveland out, but subsequently lose themselves, would you still feel good about this season and / or consider this season a success?

To be entirely clear, I am not saying I think the Hawks can or will beat Cleveland in the playoffs. I am just posing a 'what if?'

Personally, I would. Given it is the first year integrating Dwight and Schröder into the starting unit, both of which are major changes, and Cleveland has been our primary stumbling block these last couple years, I would consider that a huge success knowing that we found a way to answer the Cleveland question. Even if the Hawks continued their up and down play, stumbled into the playoffs as an 8 seed, and managed to knock out Cleveland, only to be subsequently be swept by whomever, I would still walk away from the season happy. Not thrilled, but overall positive and happy. Not only because we would have an answer for CLE, but because I would expect Dwight and Dennis to fit much better next season and have even more potential. (Still, I recognize we have a lot of FAs this offseason, which is another issue, but still.)

No, anything less than winning the title is not a success.

Unless it's knocking them out during the ECFs to go to the finals then, NO.

If we knock them out in say the 1st round, then get shelacked by Toronto or effing Boston that is definitely not a success. I can hear the 'mesrable ones' saying ' frauds, frauds etc.

Dream bigger guys.

Ideally, Boston 1st round, Toronto 2nd round, Cavs ECF.

• Moderators
On 12/10/2016 at 3:00 PM, Thomas said:

That is the way I felt about the Celtics in the seventies and ever since then as well but the last two plus years LeBron is the brick wall for us and everyone else in the East and taking them down would be a huge step for us and put folks on notice. 

Anyone content with knocking out Cleveland has to qualify that as Cleveland with a healthy LeBron.  It is about beating a healthy LeBron not about the Cavs.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'll add that beating Boston would be nice regardless of whether Al is healthy enough to play at that point.  It is all about beating the Celtics in that scenario with Al as a cherry on that sundae.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2016 at 2:43 PM, LamarHampton said:

NO!!!

If they knock the "big dog" out, they better get to the NBA Finals.

Period.  Point blank!

Absolutely love the Hawks and have not seen them in the finals yet. Have been watching since '68 and always pull for them like its my last breath in the playoffs being a diehard and all but if they don't win it all, well, I'll be back next year for the journey whether for better or worse. If advancing past the ECF is the bare minimum for satisfaction then half of Toronto would have committed suicide last year and that team was more than just a tad excellent. For anyone who craves a title or nothing there is no town that can harbor you for more than a couple of years at a time. Do want to say I want a title as bad as anyone for the Hawks.    

• Like 2

@Thomas Totally agree. Being a Hawks/Lions/Braves fan I have seen 1 title in about 30 years lol...95 Braves! I have to imagine the average fan of all three sports has to have about 2-5 titles in 30 years of fanhood in 3 sports. Sad state of affairs lol.