• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Honest question: Does Dunleavy bring anything to the roster worth keeping?

sturt

• Premium Member

Count me among the skeptics that say the Korver deal is not  the harbinger of a Milsap trade... that, rather, it was the proverbial offer-you-can't-refuse. Not saying we won't deal Milsap, but am saying if we do, it will also be a matter of making a deal because it is too good for us. Rather, I'm inclined to think we're at least going to see how this next month goes with this roster as-is.

Having said that...

Assuming he's not dealt today, do you think Dunleavy brings anything to this roster worth keeping? As I ask that, I recall being one of those when he first got out of Duke who thought his game was so Larry Bird like, specifically with his passing ability. Hasn't quite turned out like I thought it would. Maybe that's why the Hawks still haven't hired me for GM after all of these opportunities. But that said, is there a role for Dunleavy here?

• Moderators
Just now, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

Dunleavy is not great defender but he is decent shooter. Look on the bright side, 1st rounder pick 2019 and more minutes for Prince/Bembry hopefully.

Think of him as a very poor man's Korver who Cleveland realized could not be a real part of their rotation after JR went down with injury.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't see Dunleavy staying for anytime. He may move for a 2nd round pick just to get the salary off the roster. I do hope Prince comes in and gets 15-20 minutes a night. That is the only way he'll develop or washout, but it is better to start to figure that out now .

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

Cavs fans really excited getting Korver. For us, probably a steal lol.

Their team is a good situation for him to succeed.  I think they'll be happy with him.  He still destroys on open jumpers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

Dunleavy is not great defender but he is decent shooter. Look on the bright side, 1st rounder pick 2019 and more minutes for Prince/Bembry hopefully.

Uh well sorta a decent shooter. Back surgery has caused problems with his three according to an article on the Cavs espn page. Check out his PER though, ouch. He is almost a year older than Kyle to boot. Don't see him hanging out here.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/1708/mike-dunleavy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

I agree, but i will still not root for the Cavs even Kyle's with them. I still don't like Lebron, so much ego..

Agree, always pull against LeBron and of course the Celtics and then just about everyone else is to a much lesser degree.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Sooooo... you see his role essentially as Kirk Hinrich at the wing. Fair enough.

I hope everyone is right about Prince getting Korver's minutes. He's went to D-league and just continues to impress.

At SG he would be behind Baze/Tim/Bembry and if at SF behind Thabo/Prince/Bembry I would hope. There is the last space on the roster but he is a shell at this point and no better than a third stringer so at almost five million, well you know. 

I haven't kept up with his production the past couple of years, but I used to really like Dunleavy's game. Seemed like he was only slightly worse of a shooter than Kyle but had more moves, was a good passer, hustled, moved well without the ball, and knew his role. Basically a slightly worse shooter but could create slightly better than Kyle and could pass and handle the ball better than Kyle. Haven't kept up with him basically since the back surgery but I have a general good impression. My opinion could be swayed by better, more recent  information, however. And I haven't even bothered to look up his recent stats since it sounds like he's on the move anyway, but if he stays then I am cautiously optimistic about his production and ability if he actually sees minutes. 

Again, being lazy because it sounds like the plan is to move him anyway, but is his contract an expiring or does it go beyond this season?