• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marc Stein: Hawks want at least one quality first to headline a Millsap deal

GameTime

New Marc Stein article

http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4869/what-the-hawks-seek-in-a-paul-millsap-trade

Once ESPN's report hit Sunday that Atlanta was suddenly willing to trade its most dependable player, Paul Millsap became the All-Star Most Likely To Be Dealt this winter.

Denver engaged in serious talks to acquire Millsap last summer and is known to be interested again, alongside Toronto and Sacramento. (The Nuggets, for the record, are now openly shopping third-year big man Jusuf Nurkic in addition to the widely assumed availability of vets Danilo Gallinari, Kenneth Faried and Wilson Chandler).

Other serious suitors for Millsap are bound to emerge, but here's the real question: Can Atlanta get a future first-round pick of better quality than the first it's getting for Korver when Millsap is poised to attract so much big-money interest as a free agent come July 1? Teams could well prove hesitant to surrender too much for a primo pending free agent.

The Hawks, sources say, want at least one quality first to headline a Millsap deal. The Raptors, meanwhile, have to decide whether a deal for Millsap closes the gap on Cleveland sufficiently to part with quality assets and justifies the expense involved to re-sign him in the same offseason All-Star guard Kyle Lowry is due for a new deal.

Once ESPN's report hit Sunday that Atlanta was suddenly willing to trade its most dependable player, Paul Millsap became the All-Star Most Likely To Be Dealt this winter.

Denver engaged in serious talks to acquire Millsap last summer and is known to be interested again, alongside Toronto and Sacramento. (The Nuggets, for the record, are now openly shopping third-year big man Jusuf Nurkic in addition to the widely assumed availability of vets Danilo Gallinari, Kenneth Faried and Wilson Chandler).

Other serious suitors for Millsap are bound to emerge, but here's the real question: Can Atlanta get a future first-round pick of better quality than the first it's getting for Korver when Millsap is poised to attract so much big-money interest as a free agent come July 1? Teams could well prove hesitant to surrender too much for a primo pending free agent.

The Hawks, sources say, want at least one quality first to headline a Millsap deal. The Raptors, meanwhile, have to decide whether a deal for Millsap closes the gap on Cleveland sufficiently to part with quality assets and justifies the expense involved to re-sign him in the same offseason All-Star guard Kyle Lowry is due for a new deal.

Nurkic now being available is interesting

I'm not sure about the ability to do so but I'd really be interested in trying to find a way to steal Norman Powell. I don't want to trade Millsap for him though.

For Millsap I'd want a good first round pick, a quality young player, and maybe add on a solid role player. At the very minimum a good first round pick and quality young player.

Gary Harris and a first would be a little lite but a starter.

I'd also be looking for a way to dump at least some of Bazemore's contract.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I'm not sure about the ability to do so but I'd really be interested in trying to find a way to steal Norman Powell. I don't want to trade Millsap for him though.

For Millsap I'd want a good first round pick, a quality young player, and maybe add on a solid role player. At the very minimum a good first round pick and quality young player.

Gary Harris and a first would be a little lite but a starter.

I'd also be looking for a way to dump at least some of Bazemore's contract.

Gary Harris isn't better than what we have  now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

Due to his pending free agency and age ... sap is not going to bring back anything more then pennies on the dollar.  

Ya and that's really not fair. If that's the case, then just play out the year and let him walk. Just my opinion but I'm sick of being the farm system for teams like the Cavs, Pistons in 04 with sheed and Deke in 2000 with philly...I guess we got kukoc Theo Ratliff Nazr for Deke...forgot who we got for sheed but the next season we landed JJ in the summer...so I think we should keep him and if he wants to walk then walk. No gifts from us anymore.

27 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Due to his pending free agency and age ... sap is not going to bring back anything more then pennies on the dollar.  

Pennies on the dollar is hard but anything would help.  Besides if KK gets a first round pick then Millsap can net us more.

6 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I'm warming up to moving Millsap for the right deal but if it's pennies why move him? Keeping the possibility of resigning him to me is worth more than a useless asset.

But if you resigned him, he is going to eat up all of the available cap that they will have this year.  I know that he wants to play for a contender not a treadmill team like we are. 

2 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

But if you resigned him, he is going to eat up all of the available cap that they will have this year.  I know that he wants to play for a contender not a treadmill team like we are. 

Sure, but I'd like to keep the possibility of resigning him and bringing in another solid player than trading him now for some bums. I think Millsap's game will age well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Gary Harris isn't better than what we have  now

Yup...also we had a chance to draft him at #15 a couple years ago so we either didn't like him or we liked Payne more...:-|

5 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

I think if he opts out we could wait and sign him after we use our cap since we have his bird rights, if that is an issue.

• Premium Member

Asked the dieselputer about us and trading Millsap and it said.. chances are likely that:

We move 

Millsap/Dunleavy Jr. to the Lakers for Deng/Calderon/1st. 

Then after the trade, Danny Ferry comes back and does a personal apology... hosted by Grant Hill. 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Asked the dieselputer about us and trading Millsap and it said.. chances are likely that:

We move 

Millsap/Dunleavy Jr. to the Lakers for Deng/Calderon/1st. 

Then after the trade, Danny Ferry comes back and does a personal apology... hosted by Grant Hill. 

Oh boy! Then maybe Ferry and Wilcox can team up to keep controversy alive!

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Oh boy! Then maybe Ferry and Wilcox can team up to keep controversy alive!

Dieselputer says that Ferry will be rehired and show up to games every day wearing this:  

trump teamster kid selfie

Image result for white man wearing a dashiki

They waited way to late to make these moves. Id rather go to war with what we have. Take my chances at signing Sap to 3 yr deal with a team or player option and get rid of Bazemore, then to move sap for some late protected first round pick.

• Like 1