• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Millsap left in the Off-Season, would you hate him as much as you do Al Horford?

ATLHawks3

I'll never hate Millsap, far too hard a worker, far too much class. I seriously doubt he has it in him to be a lil bitch about it like Alice Whorefart was. 

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I like Al and Paul. I would be a tad more mad if Paul left due to the fix we are too good to badly tank and too bad to make the playoffs

Shocking.

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I get the fun in booing him but he really raised this team up for a bunch of years.   I don't know if his staying would have worked or not.   I think Sap and Dwight is a better combo.    So his moving on may have been best for everyone.   

You're so sensible in 2017, macd.  What changed?

On Sap, I wouldn't be overly mad if he left.  I'd basically understand.  He's grown too expensive.  If he can get paid somewhere else, more power to him.  There was never really a time where his effort could legitimately be questioned (unlike a certain recent departure).  Any dips in his play appeared to be due to playing through injury.

I don't even think I'd be mad if he signed with a division rival.  I'd be like, "Uh, have fun tying up your cap."  Now watch him sign with CHA and have them leapfrog us for real.

• Moderators

It's interesting that our 2 best players and fixtures of our 2000 era hawks are disliked and booed. (Joe and Al).  While the role players like Demarre, Zaza, Korver are still loved and celebrated.   But it makes sense.  those guys didn't leave willingly and they gave it their all while they were here.   I imagine that Joe and Al will return to good standing once they retire.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I agree. At least we had Millsap and Howard when Al left. But if Millsap leaves, we're gonna be left with Howard and Muscala.

Bud probably thinks that would be a step toward a championship if he could get Muscala into a starting role.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Trout7 said:

Bud probably thinks that would be a step toward a championship if he could get Muscala into a starting role.

I feel that way sometimes.  I'm not big on Moose having a big role but with the way he's shot the 3 ball this year it's hard to knock Bud for playing him.    I prefer Scott but I don't know that there'd be a significant difference right now.   

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here is my list of factors that make me think I would hate Millsap less from roughly most important to least important as far as coloring the flavor of a departure:

1 - Sap is unlikely to go to a team we hate as much as the green.  We literally just faced them in the playoffs where their star punched our point guard.  Add in the years Boston blocking Atlanta (Nique and JJ eras in particular) and it is hard to come up with any team that we would all hate this much.

2 - Sap is unlikely to shit on the team on his way out.  Horf immediately threw up green love and let his family rant anti-Atlanta without any check.

3 - It is unlikely Sap will get owned and physically embarrassed in the playoffs like Al did vs TT and Cleveland.  There will be no question he gave his all while he was here.

4 - Sap is likely to show appreciation for the fans on his way out.  As others noted, DMC's classy exit left a much better taste than silence from Al and a half-hearted agent's thank you in the paper long after he should have messaged to the fans.

5 - Sap has already been publicly shopped twice by Atlanta, Sap has never missed a season to injury only to return to unmitigated fan support, and Sap didn't "grow up" with Atlanta so there is less of a sense that he owes the team loyalty.

6 - Sap has never whined about wanting any particular players around him (I want a center!) so there is no big investment we can make that will supposedly satisfy that need only to see him bail on us when we are the best positioned to compete for a ring at any time over the last decade.

7 -If Sap leaves, it won't be for basically the same contract Atlanta offered and that we Squawkers feel comfortable with him signing here (i.e., a lot of us are uncomfortable by the idea of a Sap max deal) so it will make it less appealing to think about what could have been unlike Horf who we wanted on his contract.  Further, it is unlikely we will see rumors about Atlanta looking to ship out other key players to accommodate Sap only to leave us with the damaged relationship when he bails.

Paul Millsap plays for and Al Horford played for Atlanta Hawks.  'Dislike'.  You're making up all this.  I -er- Al was always tougher than Milsaps. - Hal Horford

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I still never got the Joe hate. It's not like he left the team high and dry. He got traded. It was a little embarrassing to see the fans boo him to be completely honest. That wasn't a good look for ATL fans IMHO.

I don't really get it either.  

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Shocking.

You're so sensible in 2017, macd.  What changed?

On Sap, I wouldn't be overly mad if he left.  I'd basically understand.  He's grown too expensive.  If he can get paid somewhere else, more power to him.  There was never really a time where his effort could legitimately be questioned (unlike a certain recent departure).  Any dips in his play appeared to be due to playing through injury.

I don't even think I'd be mad if he signed with a division rival.  I'd be like, "Uh, have fun tying up your cap."  Now watch him sign with CHA and have them leapfrog us for real.

IMG_7992.GIF

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hawkman said:

I still never got the Joe hate. It's not like he left the team high and dry. He got traded. It was a little embarrassing to see the fans boo him to be completely honest. That wasn't a good look for ATL fans IMHO.

I completely agree with this. Joe never wanted to leave here. He got traded. He didn't demand a trade either. He just got flat out dumped on the Nets out of nowhere. He was a six time All Star HERE in Atlanta and should have his number retired. He did not deserve any boos and frankly I find it embarrassing and completely unfair to him.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I completely agree with this. Joe never wanted to leave here. He got traded. He didn't demand a trade either. He just got flat out dumped on the Nets out of nowhere. He was a six time All Star HERE in Atlanta and should have his number retired. He did not deserve any boos and frankly I find it embarrassing and completely unfair to him.

Yep, all that did was add fuel to the fire of Atlanta having a terrible fan base. Joe was pretty stoic through it all and even took the high road when questioned about it. Smoove, on the other hand, was obviously hurt when he was booed. That told me how oblivious he was to how he was viewed by the fans when he was here. To get hit with the reality that your own hometown fans don't like you has to hurt. As frustrating as his play was at times, I honestly felt kind of sorry for him. With Al, it's a little different.  He left this team high and dry and claimed to be the one who was disrespected after sandbagging it for two seasons. I hope the fans will  at least show some restraint during his video tribute. After that, boo and heckle him until you're hoarse. I'm talking all 4 quarters here.

• Like 2

Fair or unfair, there's a common theme w.r.t. each former-Hawk that gets booed.  He, at some point or another, blamed (for lack of a better description) the team's success (or lack thereof) on fan support.

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Fair or unfair, there's a common theme w.r.t. each former-Hawk that gets booed.  He, at some point or another, blamed (for lack of a better description) the team's success (or lack thereof) on fan support.

Joe's comments were taken out of context though. He was never really a 'talker', if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Joe's comments were taken out of context though. He was never really a 'talker', if you know what I mean.

Ah man, you know good and well the soundbite plays more prominently than the "real" comments.  Alls I'm saying is that's the reason guys get booed.  Fair or unfair.

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Ah man, you know good and well the soundbite plays more prominently than the "real" comments.  Alls I'm saying is that's the reason guys get booed.  Fair or unfair.

"I don't care about the fans" without proper context sounds pretty bad when you take it at face value. But it also didn't fit with who Joe was at all so he should've been given the benefit of the doubt. He was basically the SF/SG version of Sap and one sentence completely tarnished his rep with the Hawks. The media has to be more responsible with how they report things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hawkman said:

"I don't care about the fans" without proper context sounds pretty bad when you take it at face value. But it also didn't fit with who Joe was at all so he should've been given the benefit of the doubt. He was basically the SF/SG version of Sap and one sentence completely tarnished his rep with the Hawks. The media has to be more responsible with how they report things.

Paul Millsap plays for and Al Horford played for Atlanta Hawks.  Agreed.  He shoulda jus' let his dad and sister handle the media stuff, amirite? - Hal Horford